Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keweenaw Fall Trip
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

This last October my Fiance and I took a 5 day trip out to the Keweenaw Peninsula. Along the way we camped in the Porkies and then spent the majority of the trip camping on High Rock Bay, which is the very tip of the peninsula. The trip went flawlessly and offered up some of the best campsites we have every experienced, not to mention I asked my (now Fiance) to marry me Very Happy . I'll let the pictures do the talking.
Lake of the Clouds in the Porkies
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Prior to the trip, I decided to remove the original westy icebox. Best decision I ever made. With two dogs along on the trip, it created a ton of extra space. The YETI cooler, also worked as a nice replacement Laughing

Driving out on Hwy 41, which was absolutely beautiful with all the fall colors! It was also one of the best driving roads I've been on. The bus handled the curvy road great, but I can only image how fun it would be in a car with a proper set-up!

The pavement soon ended and we were greeted with a true 4x4 road for the last 7 mile trek out to the point

Our Campsite for the first night on High Rock Bay

And waking up to the sunset, overlooking the Gull Rock Light house on Maintou Island off in the distance.

Our Campsite for the rest of our stay on High Rock Bay. That's Zurie, our little blue heeler.

Driving back towards Copper Harbor

Copper Harbor. We hit the Peninsula right at peak colors. It was spectacular.

A couple extras of our travel companions, Zurie and Griffin

Thanks for looking!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

nice pics! nothing like camping on Superior. ever head to Montreal Falls, south f copper harbor? Awesome views, but I don't think a bus would be too happy with the road back there.(it would probably do just fine, seeing as we took minivans, Golfs, and Subies back there. Golf got a flat.
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Beautiful photos! Looks like a great trip. Very Happy

I love how you were able to camp so close to the water. One of my dream camping trips. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Great photo's.. Super jealous of all those fall colors you all enjoyed. It looks like a great trip with a nice result (engagement). Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Nice trip, great pics. Thanks for sharing.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Dubbin68 wrote:
This last October my Fiance and I took a 5 day trip out to the Keweenaw Peninsula. Along the way we camped in the Porkies and then spent the majority of the trip camping on High Rock Bay, which is the very tip of the peninsula. The trip went flawlessly and offered up some of the best campsites we have every experienced, not to mention I asked my (now Fiance) to marry me Very Happy . I'll let the pictures do the talking.
Lake of the Clouds in the Porkies

Driving out on Hwy 41, which was absolutely beautiful with all the fall colors! It was also one of the best driving roads I've been on. The bus handled the curvy road great, but I can only image how fun it would be in a car with a proper set-up!

The pavement soon ended and we were greeted with a true 4x4 road for the last 7 mile trek out to the point

Our Campsite for the first night on High Rock Bay

And waking up to the sunset, overlooking the Gull Rock Light house on Maintou Island off in the distance.

Our Campsite for the rest of our stay on High Rock Bay. That's Zurie, our little blue heeler.

Driving back towards Copper Harbor

Copper Harbor. We hit the Peninsula right at peak colors. It was spectacular.

Thanks for looking!

I miss living in the Keewenaw pininsual. I was at Michigan Tech in Houghton. Spent five years studying engineering. Wonderful place. Falls up there are always amazing. I'm glad you could enjoy it too.

You were camping really close to the rocket range. The path a 1/4 mile before high rock bay to the north leads to it. It was a 60's/70's rocket launch pad. One such rocket was launched into space. Not much left to see if it, but the lake shore is fantastic. Got to love then ruggedness of the Keewenaw from Delaware north east to the tip. That drive on us41 from Delaware to the tip is a great stretch of road.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures! And, congratulations!

I like the subtle two-tone of your bus, nice look.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Those fall colors are insane! Looks like a great trip. Congrats on the engagement, I'd say your off to a good start. Wink
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:

I miss living in the Keewenaw pininsual. I was at Michigan Tech in Houghton. Spent five years studying engineering. Wonderful place. Falls up there are always amazing. I'm glad you could enjoy it too.

You were camping really close to the rocket range. The path a 1/4 mile before high rock bay to the north leads to it. It was a 60's/70's rocket launch pad. One such rocket was launched into space. Not much left to see if it, but the lake shore is fantastic. Got to love then ruggedness of the Keewenaw from Delaware north east to the tip. That drive on us41 from Delaware to the tip is a great stretch of road.

We were able to find the Rocket Launcher site after a short hike from High Rock Bay!

My Fiance is into VW's too! We just picked up this square for her.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

awesome. Did you take a piece or two of copper home with you? Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

awesome pictures and congrats! I can't wait to make my own memories in my newly purchased 77 westy!
nickg321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Awesome man! Beautiful dogs too. How do buses do on those kinds of dirt roads? What is the extent of what we can do?
atomicmime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Beautiful pics! I really enjoyed these... and your nice bus, too!
'72 Westy
'79 Super Beetle (now electric!)
'13 Beetle
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Great shots and love the colors.
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

nickg321 wrote:
Awesome man! Beautiful dogs too. How do buses do on those kinds of dirt roads? What is the extent of what we can do?

Thanks everyone! The bus handles the dirt roads great. I have rebuilt everything mechanical and I'm also running General Grabbers, which do help. I have driven the bus all over the forest roads of MN and WI and I prefer it over my 4runner any day. It has even handle the back roads of the Black Hills and Colorado without issue!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Now make the trip an annual event and invite others to join you .
By the time your a grandpa it will be two hundred busses from all over the Midwest . Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Keweenaw Fall Trip Reply with quote

Sweet trip!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: