Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise on a Floor Jack Needed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

I have had one sort of like this forever. I keep it in the bus in case of a flat tire.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4-ton-floor-jac...HwodGucIPw

It came in a little plastic case. It was cheap and lightweight. I keep a piece of 3/4 Plywood and some little 2x4 and 4x4 pieces to allow for variable and adequate lift.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Stock bus jack works great for lifting a deck ledger...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I keep a stock jack in my bus, but I also keep a small scissors jack, and a variety of chunks of wood. Much better having options in case of a situation not covered in the owner's manual. Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
To me a floor jack, even an aluminium one is a pretty scary thing to have behind you in a frontal collision. Much rather have something I can stuff in the cubby under the seats.

Not too tough figuring a place and method to tie it down.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
To me a floor jack, even an aluminium one is a pretty scary thing to have behind you in a frontal collision. Much rather have something I can stuff in the cubby under the seats.

Ever watch the crash test videos for pet carriers, they can't contain a soft furry pet in a 30 mph collision, yet compared to a heavy metal jack in a 60 mph headon a pet carrier at 30 mph would be child's play.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Ever watch the crash test videos for pet carriers, they can't contain a soft furry pet in a 30 mph collision, yet compared to a heavy metal jack in a 60 mph headon a pet carrier at 30 mph would be child's play.

So how does the entire camper kit in a Westy do in a head on? How about a rear seat in a passenger bus?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Here is my dilemma:
I have a '69 camper and an '87 Vanagon with 2" lift and big tires. I have a small floor jack which I have used on both vehicles with some difficulty. Raising the front of the '69, initially I can move the handle only a few inches at a time. The handle hits the bumper and does not rise enough to pump much fluid. On the '87 I need to put wood between the jack and the trailing arm because the jack does not rise high enough to get the tire off the ground.

With either vehicle it is a great deal of effort to get it in the air. I need a low profile, high lift, easy pump, heavy duty jack that will work for both. I also found that very few jacks were repairable if they started leaking. So I want a jack that can be serviced and/or repaired with parts readily available.

Is there such a thing?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

So how does the entire camper kit in a Westy do in a head on? How about a rear seat in a passenger bus?

Never once have I felt the need to carry a floor jack with me in 45+ years of driving, as it would be an unnecessary and dangerous item. Driving is all about assessing risks and a floor jack doesn't pass the test in my book.

Bolt a floor jack to the middle seat and yes the middle seat will do poorly in a collision.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Is there such a thing?

Bottle jack with a screw-head. It fits nicely behind the spare tire on the '69, or under the Westy bed, or behind the passenger seat, or under the jump seat, or…

Seriously though, I have mad respect for the bottle jack. Cool As always, there are drawbacks, but I don't think most people give it the credit it deserves.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Never once have I felt the need to carry a floor jack with me in 45+ years of driving, as it would be an unnecessary and dangerous item. Driving is all about assessing risks and a floor jack doesn't pass the test in my book.

Bolt a floor jack to the middle seat and yes the middle seat will do poorly in a collision.

You've done an excellent job not answering and deflecting the question. Well done.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Is there such a thing?

Bottle jack with a screw-head. It fits nicely behind the spare tire on the '69, or under the Westy bed, or behind the passenger seat, or under the jump seat, or…

Seriously though, I have mad respect for the bottle jack. Cool As always, there are drawbacks, but I don't think most people give it the credit it deserves.

Robbie

The small bottle jack found in 80's Toyota pickups is excellent, and they are not hydraulic. That means you can use it in any direction. They are tough, too.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Is there such a thing?

Robbie

The small bottle jack found in 80's Toyota pickups is excellent, and they are not hydraulic. That means you can use it in any direction. They are tough, too.

I harked one of those from a friend selling a car. (I think they're called screw jacks. They're shaped like bottle jacks, but significantly lighter.) They're perfect for early bay engine removal; they support the trans without bleeding down, and you can twist it with your fingers to adjust the angle of attack when reinstalling the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Is there such a thing?

Robbie

I harked one of those from a friend selling a car. (I think they're called screw jacks. They're shaped like bottle jacks, but significantly lighter.) They're perfect for early bay engine removal; they support the trans without bleeding down, and you can twist it with your fingers to adjust the angle of attack when reinstalling the engine.

That's a great idea! I have used mine in several non-automotive situations. It comes in handy sometimes with oddball framing/remodel jobs, and it's always CLAMPED behind the seat of my Toyota.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
twist it with your fingers to adjust the angle of attack when reinstalling the engine.

That's a great idea! I have used mine in several non-automotive situations. It comes in handy sometimes with oddball framing/remodel jobs, and it's always CLAMPED behind the seat of my Toyota.

Ay, it took me a year of using a ratchet strap before I went "DUH" and started using something adjustable. I never considered the screw jack being useful in the opposite direction until now……

If you guys are being REALLY picky, blast and paint your jack hold-down straps for +5 horsepower:

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Advise on a Floor Jack Needed Reply with quote

From page 1 of this thread. Very useful tools, I have several brands and heights and used them often. They can be had from wrecking yards usually for very little.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: