Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 generator internal parts
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: 67 generator internal parts Reply with quote

I am trying to rebuild a 67 generator I managed to salvage from scrap yard.

Over here in my part of the world, I can find the more common 12v generators with screw on terminals, but 67 is considered rare and most changed then out those days since the push on connectors were considered "unreliable".

So, do the 67 generators share common parts with the others?
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 generator internal parts Reply with quote

The brushes are the same. I got lucky and cleaned the armature and changed brushes. Polarized the generator and it spun.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 generator internal parts Reply with quote

You can always consult the parts manuals... Here's the Autumn 1971 VW Parts Manual, Electrical section, in English:

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html#q9

You should note that it is missing a couple of pages regarding the applications, but thanks to the VW-Classic website you can access the missing pages in German. Using the two sources and an old Bosch catalog I own, I created this application chart at one point:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 generator internal parts Reply with quote

I picked up a spare '67 generator, pulled it apart, and found the only problem was the wrapping on the windings were dry rotted and falling off. I dissembled it, rewrapped the windings with fiberglass tape and coated in varnish. So, while you have it apart, make sure the windings are in good shape and aren't shorted to the frame.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: