Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Many of the established big disc brake kits won't work with the Rhein 15" wheels. What set-up/modifications have you done to put bigger discs on your rig?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

I have the Rheins and South African big brake kit which uses Merkur Scorpio and XR4Ti pads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

What about a rear disc option? Do the SC or Burley rear disc kits not fit?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

SloFloSyncro wrote:
Many of the established big disc brake kits won't work with the Rhein 15" wheels. What set-up/modifications have you done to put bigger discs on your rig?

The kits I am aware of are GW proprietary version, Eurospec Sport Audi single piston ones and Small Car Audi Dual piston ones.

I think only the small car ones don't fit Rheins from what I have read. 15" steel wheels are often a problem. The GW kit is the smallest and fits all 15" wheels I think. YMMV but here is a confirming post below regarding Eurospec and Rheins.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7410420

I have the Eurospec Sport kit on my syncro and it is o.k. but I might just put the money into rebuilding stock brakes if I had to do it again. Or go all the way and replace the master cylinder and or brake booster too. Brake feel isn't any better but heat/fade resistance is way better. Rotors needed a tiny bit of clearancing of outside edge with a hand grinder. They just touched caliper when the rotors heated up and expanded. I think SmallCar's provide the best braking power of those 3 choices but pretty sure they won't fit Rheins.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
...Or go all the way and replace the master cylinder and or brake booster too. Brake feel isn't any better but heat/fade resistance is way better. Rotors needed a tiny bit of clearancing with a hand grinder. I think SmallCar's provide the best braking power of those 3 choices but pretty sure they won't fit Rheins.

An upgraded (BMW) booster should provide better brake feel, but not necessarily better brake performance.

FWIW... I have GW's "Bigger Brake Kit" (Gen 2) on my Westy with 15" VC "Carrot Alloys". The bigger front brakes are indeed a noticeable improvement, however, in the next month I'm also adding Burley's rear disc brake kit. Nothing is going to improve braking performance on a Westy more than 4 wheel disc brakes.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
davevickery wrote:
...Or go all the way and replace the master cylinder and or brake booster too. Brake feel isn't any better but heat/fade resistance is way better. Rotors needed a tiny bit of clearancing with a hand grinder. I think SmallCar's provide the best braking power of those 3 choices but pretty sure they won't fit Rheins.

An upgraded (BMW) booster should provide better brake feel, but not necessarily better brake performance.

FWIW... I have GW's "Bigger Brake Kit" (Gen 2) on my Westy with 15" VC "Carrot Alloys". The bigger front brakes are indeed a noticeable improvement, however, in the next month I'm also adding Burley's rear disc brake kit. Nothing is going to improve braking performance on a Westy more than 4 wheel disc brakes.

I added Smallcar's rear disc to my stock front discs and it worked OK for several years with the stock MC and booster. Could have replaced rotors,pads and rebuilt front calipers + added 2 psi residual valves and I think it would have made an improvement.
Always wanted bigger front brakes so I put in an older (new) Van Cafe big brake kit (Audi A4B5 with 288 rotor) that I got second hand and this changed the pedal travel. New stock ATE MC, BMW bigger booster and stiffer brass caliper guides (to take care of the excessive caliper flex with the A4B5) and I can feel the brakes grab,but the pedal does not get stiff. I think more caliper area exceeds the capacity of the stock MC. I still have to check that the calipers aren't sticking. My next fix will be adding 2 psi residual valves and possibly going to a larger Wilwood MC (1 1/8") maybe,depending on the caliper piston area calculation.
I still have my stock front brakes and new rotors/pads just in case.
IMO the front big brake kit with stock rear drums +/- a bigger brake booster might be the best option. Next maybe rear disc with stock front disc. (but I am no expert)

Last edited by wesitarz on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks guys, looking for a setup for my front brakes. SC, GW don't work with the Rheins, and Burley is offering rear discs. I have the BMW booster, and love it, just wanted to reduce fade potential since I've got a 1.8t, and like to run it off road.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

SloFloSyncro wrote:
Thanks guys, looking for a setup for my front brakes. SC, GW don't work with the Rheins, and Burley is offering rear discs. I have the BMW booster, and love it, just wanted to reduce fade potential since I've got a 1.8t, and like to run it off road.

Yep, I am in the same boat regarding front brakes. NO vendor solution so far. I know Peter at VC was working on something but it seems to not be coming to market.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609695&highlight=rhein

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

I have the Eurospec kit and it does improve fade resistance greatly, but a FYI for everyone they have been shipping this kit with the ATE54 calipers not the ATE57 as they had been before. The good new is the ATE57 calipers will slide onto the same carriers that come with the kit. Why the change? Who knows, they probably had a bunch in stock that they wanted to get rid of is my guess.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
I have the Eurospec kit and it does improve fade resistance greatly, but a FYI for everyone they have been shipping this kit with the ATE54 calipers not the ATE57 as they had been before. The good new is the ATE57 calipers will slide onto the same carriers that come with the kit. Why the change? Who knows, they probably had a bunch in stock that they wanted to get rid of is my guess.

So Eurospec says they will not fit under the Rheins. Are they being overly cautious? I'd love to install something like this.

The Western Syncro build
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

I am running G57s on my Syncro with Rheins. The adapters were made by Small car years ago. They are crude and easily duplicated once you see them.
I bought the whole kit from a guy who sold them as a G60s ,before I knew the difference. They work great and I believe use the same bolts holes as a G60 ,The rotor is way bigger and thicker giving less brake fade and a better pedal along with VC SS lines and GW Finned rear drums and OE shoes my van stops with out the white knuckle it used to have.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

G60 twin piston Calipers with 12mm spacers, and 280mm rotors all from an Audi 5000Q turbo era 1990 will work. It's tight, and there's no room for stick on wheel weights on the inside of the rim. But it does, for sure work just fine with the 15" Rhein wheel.
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
What about a rear disc option? Do the SC or Burley rear disc kits not fit?

Burley Motorsports rear disc brake kits fit nicely under Rhiens.

As far as front kits that work with Rhien wheels , here is what I have found with hands on experience in my shop :

Euro spec front kit:
will work if you grind down the outside of the caliper in the places where it rubs , this all depends on the individual caliper casting . However for those that dont know , be aware that these kits are plagued with spongy pedal issues with this kit. Will fit with SA steel 16'' wheels with no issues.

SC front kit :
is really tight , will work but requires grinding on the outside of the caliper body to clear the wheel.
Will not fit with 16'' Mefro's ,
Will fit with 16'' SA steel wheels with no issues.

South African kit :
, no issues , not a radical upgrade but I still consider it a nice upgrade from stock.
To my knowledge this kits fits all of the above wheels without issues.
Hope this helps , Burley

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Burley,

THANKS! Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Thanks Stacy, Jeff and Burley, some solid info to work with!
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

I'll 2nd what Burely said, the Eurospec kit was spongy as can be when first installed. The calipers were not sitting square with the disks and the calipers had to move further than normal to get full contact of the pads. Once figured out and adjusted to fit square all was good, but definitely a pain in the rear (or front as the case may be). But, since my wife bought them for me as a gift I'm not going to complain.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

What did you have to do to get things squared up?

The Western Syncro build
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
What did you have to do to get things squared up?

I used this kit for the A4B5 G57s:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Helps a lot with the caliper flex from those crappy rubber slide bushings and fiddled with the spring retainer. Still have some pad retraction on the driver's side,none on the pass side. Don't know if this is the caliper sticking or if it needs a 2lb residual valve. Need to do more testing when I get back from winter vacation. Also the driver's side caliper has grooves to grip the outside pad (which were overpainted) and the passenger side does not have any grooves and I am getting some pad 'clicking' on that side.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Its been a while so this may be wrong / incomplete, but I remember having to slightly adjust the position of the carrier as it was riding up onto the spindle outside of the machined flat mounting location when first bolted on. The only way I really figured it out was sighting along the disk and seeing a bit of light getting by the pad to disk contact. More light came though on one end of the contact indicating it wasn't meeting squarely. It didn't take much to make the brakes feel spongy. It really was a loosen bolts, tap into position and re-tighten affair from what I remember (after messing around with other things for awhile trying to get the sponginess to go away).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Brakes for Rhein 15" Wheels Reply with quote

Can you guys help me with this. Does spongy mean it feels like air in there, more like stepping on a rubber ball, or does it mean the brakes need an extra pump of the pedal to get them to really grab?

Mine does not feel like air, and I bled the brakes a few times and think I have all the air out of the system after making a pressure bleeder. The first pedal feels almost as firm as the second quick pump, but it goes down further on the first push of the pedal, a quick second pump and the brakes feel awesome. It stops better if I do a pump-pump vs. just once.

Trying to figure out if the above readjustment of the caliper might help. Or what to try next.

Thanks, Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: