Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

An auto swap for a manual is akin to trading a donkey for a Clydesdale. Nobody will provide you a Clydesdale unless you produce a few more donkeys.

I'd just fix what you have. The detriments to the car's resale value have already occurred. If you swap it out for manual then you have shredded it of any intrinsic appeal too. Just read up on the objective technicals of an autostick in the engine area. Unfortunately over here in the bug forums all you'll get is one guy vs. the whole world on autostick tech. advice.

You'll find in the end you either love or hate autostick- either way, you have to get it running.

Here's some autostick-relevant comfort. "I know where to find the answers and I know just how to lie."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Me personally, I would fix it as is and keep it autostick and use that as the selling point. I'm sure there are some out there that would like an old bug but can't drive stick and not know about the autostick, so I would use the autostick as the main selling point. I'd fix it up real nice because it will probably be a woman who will show interest in an autostick bug, and her hubby will want to buy it for her. If fact, not long ago my boss asked me if VW made automatic convertibles because his wife's friend doesn't know how to drive stick but would love an old convertible bug. I feel there is a market out there for autostick but you have to advertise it. It takes only 1 buyer.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Unfortunately over here in the bug forums all you'll get is one guy vs. the whole world on autostick tech. advice.

There are a couple more of us... however in line with your comment, "the whole world" hasn't proved a damn thing and you know it. Just a bunch of parrot talk, and one guy who keeps bringing up the intrinsic "loss of power through fluid dynamics" or some shit that I'm still not sure how it matters since the stock 4 speed STILL takes 13 seconds to go 0-60.

Wannabe1952 wrote:
I've had two bugs and one '70 camper. I recently got this restored 71 Super Beetle with Auto Stick. Low gear has plenty of torque, second gear used to drive around town under 40-45 and third a comfortable 60-65 on the highway. There is some pick up power sacrificed but I get a kick out of the Auto Stick and have been having a blast driving this thing. I don't understand the put down of the Auto Stick. Best wishes

Precisely. Apparently only those who have actually OWNED an autostick and bothered to learn how it works and how to drive it, know the truth.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

oh mylanta....

Got it up on the lift today. Found lots of things. Good and bad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pan is solid other than where the gas is puddling. Must have been leaking for a while. I still can't find anything wet on top. I guess I'm going to have to pull the tank.

Is this the fuel line? if so, it looks dry, at least up to the tunnel.

I found where they have replaced a lot of steel over the years. Looking up into the engine compartment from the bottom you can see a lot of new metal. Looked like they did a decent job. There's one patch to the pan. You can see how they stitch welded it and then sealed the outside.

From the outside I can see there's new metal in the foot wells too. Problem with that statement? I can see the new metal from the outside Rolling Eyes

I noticed all the soft brake lines and many of the hard lines have been replaced at some point. There's also new brake light switch, etc.

Everything looks dry, so I was trying to figure out why the pedal was low. Got poking around the front drums and happened to look up inside the front fender. Can anyone guess my surprise discovery?

Anyway...

Pulled the deck lid off since it needed to be replaced anyway and poked around the engine a bit. Definitely has manifold vacuum going to the autostick pump thing. I'm wondering if I should just T off the ported line to the distributor and see if it changes anything.

I'm missing the glove box. The door is there, just no box. It's open to the trunk. There's a choke cable hooked to the latch for the trunk lid. Just lays inside the glove box door. guessing this thing (or the oem equivalent) should be mounted somewhere?

I have a what looks to be two missing knobs under the radio. Best I can tell, they go to plastic rack n pinion setup under the cowl, and there's a housed solid wire going to each. Only I can thing is maybe the adjust the defrost flappers?

I'm going to have to find some service manuals on this thing lol

And I'm all out of love.
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Forgot to mention any of what I considered "good" under there. Looks liek someone has replaced a good many bolts in the suspension and body. I see there's some new camber bolts in the lower control arms up front. Also looks like a new steering damper (seen in one of the pics above).

Car sat for two days outside in the 20-30° winter. There's no choke that I can see. I hit the pedal twice and turned the key. Fired right up and ran like a top. I'm very happy with the motor itself.

CV boots are all tight and dry. As are all the backing plates on the brakes. I already mentioned the new soft lines and many new hard lines.

And I'm all out of love.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Is the frame head rusted badly....the area under the master cylinder? Looks like metal peeling up in the photo. If so, that will need attention.[/img]

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Is the frame head rusted badly....the area under the master cylinder? Looks like metal peeling up in the photo. If so, that will need attention.

It's an area I would call (on other cars) the firewall? It's a vertical area on the outside of the foot well. There's new metal on the inside, but the outside is rough right there on both sides

And I'm all out of love.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

I know just how to whisper,
and I know just how to cry;
I know just where to find the answers;
and I know just how to lie.
I know just how to fake it,
and I know just how to scheme;
I know just when to face the truth,
and then I know just when to dream.
And I know just where to touch you,
and I know just what to prove;
I know when to pull you closer,
and I know when to let you loose.
And I know the night is fading,
and I know that time's gonna fly;
and I'm never gonna tell you everything
I've got to tell you,
but I know I've got to give it a try.
And I know the roads to riches,
and I know the ways to fame;
I know all the rules
and then I know how to break 'em
and I always know the name of the game.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Right...the photo angle threw me...you really want to examine all of that. You may very well have some major structural issues.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Looks pretty okay underneath! I've had worse.

The glovebox may have been damaged or torn loose at one time. The only replacements I've seen are ABS plastic- so many of the originals are still awol. Since the opening cable release was attached there- it's no surprise you have the OP's rigged cable pull. There are threads that describe the reinstallation of the cable pull assembly.

The knobs are indeed part of your whole in-trunk defrost/heat plumbing lesson to teach yourself in warmer weather. Cool

Good news on those brake lines and front end bolts being fresh- it's been cared for. I'm even more hopeful for speedy autostick recovery.

It's a shame sb001 thinks I was talking about him earlier. Your thread, as any autostick poster before has learned, is only part your topic- it's mostly the sb001 show. You're like Vanna- but he is very much Pat Sajak. You know that barking dog behind your place? Yeah, here it's sb001. Most of us enjoy threads about new folks but he really just enjoys the attention. I like your project and like all but one am comfortable you are the star of your thread.

"It started so easy, you want to carry on"

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:

I'm missing the glove box. The door is there, just no box. It's open to the trunk. There's a choke cable hooked to the latch for the trunk lid. Just lays inside the glove box door. guessing this thing (or the oem equivalent) should be mounted somewhere?

The glove box was originally made of a seemingly paper-based fiberboard type material and they don't tend to hold up too well over the years, especially if they ever get wet. The glovebox was just that fiberboard compartment held into place with a steel bracket in the trunk, nothing fancy.

The cable you have found is the release cable for the front luggage lid. It used to mount to the side of the glovebox.

Quote:

I have a what looks to be two missing knobs under the radio. Best I can tell, they go to plastic rack n pinion setup under the cowl, and there's a housed solid wire going to each. Only I can thing is maybe the adjust the defrost flappers?

Those are the fresh air control knobs, which in this car are at least partially distinct from the heating system. But not entirely. But yes there should be a fresh air box below the cowl vents in the trunk - fresh air enters through the cowl vents and those two knobs basically control the volume of fresh air and also which side(s) of the car the fresh air comes out. The air comes out of the vents on the dashboard.

As for the choke, it is automatic. You can see the choke element on the right side of the carb just below the air cleaner - there is a single wire to it.

You pretty much happened upon the procedure to set the choke, you just press the gas pedal to the floor once - that sets the choke and fast idle cam as well as giving a shot of gas down the carb throat. Should start right up at a fast idle. At that point the wire is putting 12v to a heater element in the choke which gradually unwinds a bimetal coil which gradually opens the choke plate and allows the fast idle cam to rotate away from the throttle stop, returning your idle speed to normal as the engine warms up.

Yeah pick up the Bentley manual.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Looks nice and solid to me based on what you gave for it.I still vote for a flip BTW,done right you might hit 5k..
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Any idea why the running boards I picked up would be about an inch too short to touch both front and rear fenders?

And I'm all out of love.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
Any idea why the running boards I picked up would be about an inch too short to touch both front and rear fenders?

might be earlies..just split the difference and get crafty with some rubber hose to fill the gap
Saylr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
Got poking around the front drums and happened to look up inside the front fender. Can anyone guess my surprise discovery?

I'll bite....What's the surprise? Headlight bowl repair ?
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Saylr wrote:
TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
Got poking around the front drums and happened to look up inside the front fender. Can anyone guess my surprise discovery?

I'll bite....What's the surprise? Headlight bowl repair ?

I guess I expected steel fenders rather than fiberglass?

And I'm all out of love.
Saylr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Lol,I'm either gonna have to get stronger readers or a bigger tablet.I thought the bowl had been patched over,which i am still pondering for mine.Got holes in the back big enough to stick my hand through.
Happy New Year!
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

Glass fenders is why the running boards dont fit..yet..
TimberwolfZ28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

well, first priority is the gas leak, and a muffler or exhaust. I'm looking at a myriad of exhaust options, but realistically, something stock (or at least something that fits like stock) is probably what it's going to get. I'd like to keep the heater boxes hooked up and the preheater.

I'm finding stock mufflers with install kits around $170. For the price, are there better options that retain the OE stuff I mentioned?

Here's one I am looking at:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-251-053-AKKT

And I'm all out of love.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My first beetle ever: 1971 Super w/Autostick Reply with quote

TimberwolfZ28 wrote:
well, first priority is the gas leak, and a muffler or exhaust. I'm looking at a myriad of exhaust options, but realistically, something stock (or at least something that fits like stock) is probably what it's going to get. I'd like to keep the heater boxes hooked up and the preheater.

Your best bet all around is to keep it stock. Whatever muffler you get make sure it has the provision for the heat riser (which is distinct from the preheat hose). The heat riser is a small pipe that connects to the exhaust, comes up through the tin, and runs along the base of the intake manifold, then exits down through the tin on the other side. It's designed so that hot exhaust gas will flow through that pipe and keep the intake manifold warm to prevent icing.

Keep in mind a lot of the aftermarket stuff is crap/doesn't fit well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: