Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Official High-roof Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
syncrodoka
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2005
Posts: 11314
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
syncrodoka is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

bene ben ben wrote:
Are Factory High tops allowed?
I plan on installing a westfalia high top bed (hopefully it wont feel too much like a coffin up there)

This is my RHD Factory High top syncro...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


That's one of the few high tops that I like. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankist
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Laguna Beach
frankist is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Digging many of the high tops, overall I think I would enjoy one of these over my westy. Good job guys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member


Joined: November 15, 2013
Posts: 220
Location: Gardnerville, NV
heiko910 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,
I used the flexible foil Protex insulation. I really liked it, it formed easy, and made a good foundation for installing the headliner material. Since your top is already in place, I think something flexible would be a bonus, make it easier to get in there. BTW, I used contact cement applied with a paint gun, worked great. Joel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


what type of fabric did you use for the headliner?
thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member


Joined: September 10, 2013
Posts: 977
Location: EL CAMINO
DAV!D is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
bene ben ben wrote:
Are Factory High tops allowed?
I plan on installing a westfalia high top bed (hopefully it wont feel too much like a coffin up there)

This is my RHD Factory High top syncro...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


That's one of the few high tops that I like. Cool



Same.. It just looks right. It also looks like it belongs in the Empire's fleet from the original Star Wars.. It should roll up and have storm troopers jumping out..
_________________
86 Syncro Build - Ecotec Motor Swap - Pop Top Conversion - Camper Build & Syncro Conversion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danbar
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2011
Posts: 433
Location: Fall City, WA
danbar is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Still loving my SCA zwitter roof. I realized I never added it to the official high roof page so here's a couple shots from this summer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
'88 SCA High/Pop-top Syncro camper
'61 Meyers Manx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member


Joined: June 02, 2006
Posts: 3101
Location: East Kootenay, British Columbia
MsTaboo is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
Still loving my SCA zwitter roof. I realized I never added it to the official high roof page so here's a couple shots from this summer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Nice looking van danbar! Have any pics from the inside? Top up and/or down?

Yep! Best top idea. Wish we had got them here. The SCA, Carthago, Reimo, Teca, etc, all had great style. If I had a million bucks I would start building new ones to sell.
One reason I sold my 16" hightop Syncro Westy was the upper bunk was like sleeping in a coffin. I loved the head clearance whenever I got into the van, but the top just wasn't high enough to be comfortable sleeping "upstairs". The top would have to another 6" taller for good sleeping space, making a tall vehicle even taller.

It seems the hightop pop top is the best of both worlds. Tall enough to stand upright when down, high enough for comfortable sleeping when up. Nice and streamline too! The HT/PT keeps the overall height reasonable.

The only real advantage of the solid hightop is sound and cold insulation. The HT/PT has cloth sides, so heat loss is still a problem in winter. A problem I would gladly trade for the extra room.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Currently:
90 Syncro Westy/Zetec
-Syncro, not just a sticker-

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance.
You can lead a person to reason but you can't make them think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2005
Posts: 3885
Location: denver
joetiger is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:


Nice looking van danbar! Have any pics from the inside? Top up and/or down?


Here's the original thread. Quite possibly my favorite T3.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618304&highlight=sca+syncro
_________________
Joe T.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0
'85 928S
'19 Golf R
'02 Beetle GLS

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2004
Posts: 379
Location: Manitou Springs, CO
Escorial Syncro is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,
I used the flexible foil Protex insulation. I really liked it, it formed easy, and made a good foundation for installing the headliner material. Since your top is already in place, I think something flexible would be a bonus, make it easier to get in there. BTW, I used contact cement applied with a paint gun, worked great. Joel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


what type of fabric did you use for the headliner?
thanks


Sorry for the late reply. I've been using a product called FlexForm, but it has other industry names. It's available in 80 inch wide rolls which enables me to install it with very few seams.
_________________
Joel Lane
Current driver: 1987 Syncro Westy poptop, ALH TDI @ 15 degrees
Personal Project:
1985 Westy with 1990 Syncro running gear, ALH @ 50 degrees, Stage 4 "clutch saver" tune, trans with all GT gears, R/P and trans cooler and mainshaft oiling.
1971 Karmann Ghia
1968 International Scout 800 266 V8
Various Subaru DD's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member


Joined: March 05, 2009
Posts: 10031
Location: Port Manteau
Zeitgeist 13 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

JoAnn Fabric sells a padded headliner fabric that looks like it would work for this purpose. It appears to look a lot like the kind found in late model VWs
_________________
Casey--
Volkswagens powered by Volkswagen
'89 Bluestar TDI
'01 Weekender VR6
Oly Bulli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member


Joined: June 02, 2006
Posts: 3101
Location: East Kootenay, British Columbia
MsTaboo is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Nice looking van danbar! Have any pics from the inside? Top up and/or down?

Here's the original thread. Quite possibly my favorite T3.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618304&highlight=sca+syncro

Thanks, I had forgotten about that thread!
(I keep beating the HT/PT drum hoping someone starts suppling them here Wink )
_________________
Currently:
90 Syncro Westy/Zetec
-Syncro, not just a sticker-

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance.
You can lead a person to reason but you can't make them think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member


Joined: September 10, 2013
Posts: 977
Location: EL CAMINO
DAV!D is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
Still loving my SCA zwitter roof. I realized I never added it to the official high roof page so here's a couple shots from this summer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Do you have access to the front section of the top for storage with that top, or is it dead space?
_________________
86 Syncro Build - Ecotec Motor Swap - Pop Top Conversion - Camper Build & Syncro Conversion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2005
Posts: 11314
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
syncrodoka is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Do you have access to the front section of the top for storage with that top, or is it dead space?

From his thread above.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


That style of hightop/pop top is very cool, unfortunately they are difficult to come by. I do remember drooling over the build thread. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member


Joined: November 15, 2013
Posts: 220
Location: Gardnerville, NV
heiko910 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
heiko910 wrote:
Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,
I used the flexible foil Protex insulation. I really liked it, it formed easy, and made a good foundation for installing the headliner material. Since your top is already in place, I think something flexible would be a bonus, make it easier to get in there. BTW, I used contact cement applied with a paint gun, worked great. Joel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


what type of fabric did you use for the headliner?
thanks


Sorry for the late reply. I've been using a product called FlexForm, but it has other industry names. It's available in 80 inch wide rolls which enables me to install it with very few seams.


Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AidanLK
Samba Member


Joined: August 11, 2013
Posts: 50
Location: Bozeman
AidanLK is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Hey hightop homies. I want to join the club, and am looking at this guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1858364

I'm flying up to check it out in a few days. I am currently the owner of a good ol' regular 2wd westy, so not only would it be my first high top, but also my first syncro. In a recent drive down to South America, I became pretty familiar with the benefits and limitations of living full time in a pop top van and am ready to make the switch to a hard top.

What are people's thoughts on this one? Priced fairly? Things to look for/ask about when I'm there?

Any guidance is much appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heiko910
Samba Member


Joined: November 15, 2013
Posts: 220
Location: Gardnerville, NV
heiko910 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

AidanLK wrote:
Hey hightop homies. I want to join the club, and am looking at this guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1858364

I'm flying up to check it out in a few days. I am currently the owner of a good ol' regular 2wd westy, so not only would it be my first high top, but also my first syncro. In a recent drive down to South America, I became pretty familiar with the benefits and limitations of living full time in a pop top van and am ready to make the switch to a hard top.

What are people's thoughts on this one? Priced fairly? Things to look for/ask about when I'm there?

Any guidance is much appreciated!


Vehicles that had conversion done ( TDI) can be hit and miss since it is not factory produced but it sound like a good package. Question is why is he selling/ does he have problems that he couldn't fix?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cynstaub
Samba Member


Joined: January 18, 2016
Posts: 39
Location: Pasadena, Ca
cynstaub is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

I imagine I'm going to make myself look really stupid with this question...but here goes...
The high tops are they always aftermarket additions or did they come that way from manufacturer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2005
Posts: 11314
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
syncrodoka is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

There were a few styles that came from VW but the majority of them are aftermarket companies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cbkg
Samba Member


Joined: September 05, 2011
Posts: 15

Cbkg is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Hello all,

in a few weeks a 1988 Carthago vanagon will arrive from Germany to the Port of Tacoma, then to it's new home in Vancouver.

I'm excited to learn more about the interior fridge and controls. I've seen similar cabinetry in other vanagons; design by Carthago?

The propane is split for stove, heater and fridge I'm guessing. Also wondering the quality of the fridge and what I'll need to change from 220v?

any feedback is appreciated...

thanks in advance,
Ken

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZohtIZ80dlbStbNnSLSAMmaH42dL27sYIk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member


Joined: June 02, 2006
Posts: 3101
Location: East Kootenay, British Columbia
MsTaboo is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

chenkiu wrote:
The propane is split for stove, heater and fridge I'm guessing. Also wondering the quality of the fridge and what I'll need to change from 220v?
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZohtIZ80dlbStbNnSLSAMmaH42dL27sYIk


Nice looking van!
As for the 220v conversion it's gonna depend on what is powered by the landline. If there is a battery charger and 12v converter that will need to be replaced and some of the wiring redone.
I have used this brand on a couple vans, work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD9260...+converter

http://www.progressivedyn.com

As far as the fridge is concerned, I would think seriously about replacing it altogether with a new compressor style model like a Truckfridge (if you like the upright style) or with a chest type like the Engel, ARB, or EdgeStar brands. These fridges work so much better and draw less power. (they are 120v and 12v only, no propane)
Another consideration is to retrofit the propane tank to a Westy style tank that mounts outside the vehicle.

Good luck with your new toy, I'm very envious of the HT/PT!
_________________
Currently:
90 Syncro Westy/Zetec
-Syncro, not just a sticker-

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance.
You can lead a person to reason but you can't make them think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cbkg
Samba Member


Joined: September 05, 2011
Posts: 15

Cbkg is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Ya...it totally has that eighties vibe...

Thanks for the link, the converter/charger look great. Down the road, Ill need to make all those upgrades for sure, I definitely like have mounted propane tanks.. ..especially a syncro conversion!

How are the stock heaters, I noticed a lot of praise for the Propex heaters. The one in my van I have not seen or noticed when looking at Westes. is that a european style one?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB