Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official High-roof Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

bene ben ben wrote:
Are Factory High tops allowed?
I plan on installing a westfalia high top bed (hopefully it wont feel too much like a coffin up there)

This is my RHD Factory High top syncro...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's one of the few high tops that I like. Cool
frankist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Digging many of the high tops, overall I think I would enjoy one of these over my westy. Good job guys!
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,
I used the flexible foil Protex insulation. I really liked it, it formed easy, and made a good foundation for installing the headliner material. Since your top is already in place, I think something flexible would be a bonus, make it easier to get in there. BTW, I used contact cement applied with a paint gun, worked great. Joel

what type of fabric did you use for the headliner?
thanks
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
bene ben ben wrote:
Are Factory High tops allowed?
I plan on installing a westfalia high top bed (hopefully it wont feel too much like a coffin up there)

This is my RHD Factory High top syncro...

That's one of the few high tops that I like. Cool

Same.. It just looks right. It also looks like it belongs in the Empire's fleet from the original Star Wars.. It should roll up and have storm troopers jumping out..
danbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Still loving my SCA zwitter roof. I realized I never added it to the official high roof page so here's a couple shots from this summer.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

danbar wrote:
Still loving my SCA zwitter roof. I realized I never added it to the official high roof page so here's a couple shots from this summer.

Nice looking van danbar! Have any pics from the inside? Top up and/or down?

Yep! Best top idea. Wish we had got them here. The SCA, Carthago, Reimo, Teca, etc, all had great style. If I had a million bucks I would start building new ones to sell.
One reason I sold my 16" hightop Syncro Westy was the upper bunk was like sleeping in a coffin. I loved the head clearance whenever I got into the van, but the top just wasn't high enough to be comfortable sleeping "upstairs". The top would have to another 6" taller for good sleeping space, making a tall vehicle even taller.

It seems the hightop pop top is the best of both worlds. Tall enough to stand upright when down, high enough for comfortable sleeping when up. Nice and streamline too! The HT/PT keeps the overall height reasonable.

The only real advantage of the solid hightop is sound and cold insulation. The HT/PT has cloth sides, so heat loss is still a problem in winter. A problem I would gladly trade for the extra room.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Here's the original thread. Quite possibly my favorite T3.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618304&highlight=sca+syncro

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:
Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,
I used the flexible foil Protex insulation. I really liked it, it formed easy, and made a good foundation for installing the headliner material. Since your top is already in place, I think something flexible would be a bonus, make it easier to get in there. BTW, I used contact cement applied with a paint gun, worked great. Joel

thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I've been using a product called FlexForm, but it has other industry names. It's available in 80 inch wide rolls which enables me to install it with very few seams.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

JoAnn Fabric sells a padded headliner fabric that looks like it would work for this purpose. It appears to look a lot like the kind found in late model VWs

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Here's the original thread. Quite possibly my favorite T3.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618304&highlight=sca+syncro

Thanks, I had forgotten about that thread!
(I keep beating the HT/PT drum hoping someone starts suppling them here Wink )

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

danbar wrote:

Do you have access to the front section of the top for storage with that top, or is it dead space?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Do you have access to the front section of the top for storage with that top, or is it dead space?

From his thread above.

That style of hightop/pop top is very cool, unfortunately they are difficult to come by. I do remember drooling over the build thread. Wink
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
heiko910 wrote:
Escorial Syncro wrote:
Hey Matt,

thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I've been using a product called FlexForm, but it has other industry names. It's available in 80 inch wide rolls which enables me to install it with very few seams.

Thanks
AidanLK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Hey hightop homies. I want to join the club, and am looking at this guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1858364

I'm flying up to check it out in a few days. I am currently the owner of a good ol' regular 2wd westy, so not only would it be my first high top, but also my first syncro. In a recent drive down to South America, I became pretty familiar with the benefits and limitations of living full time in a pop top van and am ready to make the switch to a hard top.

What are people's thoughts on this one? Priced fairly? Things to look for/ask about when I'm there?

Any guidance is much appreciated!
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

AidanLK wrote:
Hey hightop homies. I want to join the club, and am looking at this guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1858364

I'm flying up to check it out in a few days. I am currently the owner of a good ol' regular 2wd westy, so not only would it be my first high top, but also my first syncro. In a recent drive down to South America, I became pretty familiar with the benefits and limitations of living full time in a pop top van and am ready to make the switch to a hard top.

What are people's thoughts on this one? Priced fairly? Things to look for/ask about when I'm there?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Vehicles that had conversion done ( TDI) can be hit and miss since it is not factory produced but it sound like a good package. Question is why is he selling/ does he have problems that he couldn't fix?
thatgirlinthevanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

I imagine I'm going to make myself look really stupid with this question...but here goes...
The high tops are they always aftermarket additions or did they come that way from manufacturer?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

There were a few styles that came from VW but the majority of them are aftermarket companies.
Cbkg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Hello all,

in a few weeks a 1988 Carthago vanagon will arrive from Germany to the Port of Tacoma, then to it's new home in Vancouver.

I'm excited to learn more about the interior fridge and controls. I've seen similar cabinetry in other vanagons; design by Carthago?

The propane is split for stove, heater and fridge I'm guessing. Also wondering the quality of the fridge and what I'll need to change from 220v?

any feedback is appreciated...

thanks in advance,
Ken

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZohtIZ80dlbStbNnSLSAMmaH42dL27sYIk
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

chenkiu wrote:
The propane is split for stove, heater and fridge I'm guessing. Also wondering the quality of the fridge and what I'll need to change from 220v?
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZohtIZ80dlbStbNnSLSAMmaH42dL27sYIk

Nice looking van!
As for the 220v conversion it's gonna depend on what is powered by the landline. If there is a battery charger and 12v converter that will need to be replaced and some of the wiring redone.
I have used this brand on a couple vans, work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD9260...+converter

http://www.progressivedyn.com

As far as the fridge is concerned, I would think seriously about replacing it altogether with a new compressor style model like a Truckfridge (if you like the upright style) or with a chest type like the Engel, ARB, or EdgeStar brands. These fridges work so much better and draw less power. (they are 120v and 12v only, no propane)
Another consideration is to retrofit the propane tank to a Westy style tank that mounts outside the vehicle.

Good luck with your new toy, I'm very envious of the HT/PT!

Cbkg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official High-roof Thread Reply with quote

Ya...it totally has that eighties vibe...

Thanks for the link, the converter/charger look great. Down the road, Ill need to make all those upgrades for sure, I definitely like have mounted propane tanks.. ..especially a syncro conversion!

How are the stock heaters, I noticed a lot of praise for the Propex heaters. The one in my van I have not seen or noticed when looking at Westes. is that a european style one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: