Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

wow yamaduckey posted!!!!..but...mag pickup shouldent need a ground...only points....but...posiably a all in one unit might so...wtf ittell ground through the gears Shocked ..... are you gonna machine the step out of the crab above the fluterbuy? or flip the vent over..... Rolling Eyes ever finish the lamp crank motor???
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
Any updates? I have something very similar coming together. I can't wait to see how yours runs.

The flywheel is back from the machine shop, had them lighten/surface/balance it to correct the other shop's screw up. Ended up at 10 pounds, 11 ounces. It's on and the engine is ready to stick in the car. Used the Kennedy stage 1 that was in it before and an old 50k mile Daiken disc that was leftover from the 1600 I used to run. I got a bunch of the loose ends finished this week so it shouldn't take much to get it in the car and running from here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm waiting on a few oil line fittings and Brad Penn break-in oil from Summit Racing to show up still. FedEx put the shipment on hold due to the weather but it should be here this week.

I bought 100' of 2" wide, 1/8" black thick header wrap and ended up using a little over half I think. I wish I had ordered 1/16", would have been easier to work with.

The bigger velocity stacks won't fit inside the filters so I'll stick with the original stacks. I might polish them anyway and stick them on for car shows, they look a lot better than the old stacks or filters.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

Where did you get the stacks???
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
Where did you get the stacks???

They were on eBay. He also has a smaller version for 36 and 40's that should fit under filters. Shipping takes 4-6 weeks though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121854320690

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

you dont realy need header rap on stainless headers as it already has properties like ceramic thermal barrier's do.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
you dont realy need header rap on stainless headers as it already has properties like ceramic thermal barrier's do.

I mostly was wrapping the header to make sure it didn't burn the paint on the apron. Went ahead and did the whole thing so it would match. Figured that the industrial tins wouldn't rattle on the j-tubes if they ever did touch, there's not much clearance there.

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

I wrap my stainless so it doesn't take my skin off Smile
Looks cool too Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top Reply with quote

looks kool??I thought the stainless looks kool.....just before it takes your skin off.... I could never cover up a good looking header. Wink
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
What Modok said. The middle of the curve is where the valve is moving fastest (highest speed), between the acceleration at the bottom and the deceleration at the top (left side of curve).

You sure about that? The 'top' of curve is your max lift ...so the valve should be hardly moving. There is no more lift = hence the valve should be static. Top lift. YOur next move is coming down the ramp.

There is a small 'dwell-time' at the top. YOu don't got nothing but stay open. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

It's finally going back together.

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Just cranked it for the first time today. The fan is slightly rubbing in the shroud (higher pitched noise in the vids), that's the only problem so far. It started right up, no issues trying to get it to run and no bad noises! Ran it at 2500 rpm for 20 minutes, then drained the oil. Still no bad noises! I set the shift light to come on at 2400 so I could see when I had the idle screws adjusted in far enough through the back window. Oil looked great, no shavings or particles. Tomorrow I'll add fresh oil, check the valves, set the timing, set the idle speed, idle mixture, sync the carbs, and get the fan to stop rubbing. Also still need to get the cylinder head temp lead hooked up and install a new throttle cable. Its supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I probably won't get any miles on it until next week. I'm pretty happy with how the break in went, and it seemed pretty responsive with just the initial "get it to run" settings.

First start:

Link

At the end of the 20 minute break in.

Link

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Last update. I got a chance to sync the carbs, set the timing, and adjust the idle mixture yesterday afternoon. I drove it 1/4 mile to the nearest gas station and back and dropped the idle speed a little and double checked everything. All looked good so I left out on the first test drive. I made it about half a mile before I noticed smoke behind the car...

The oil drain plug must have bottomed out and came loose. It's ground off heavily at an angle with the grind marks in all directions from loosening against whatever is scaped on. I knew the low hanging sump was a concern, and I had planned on raising the car up to compensate before I started driving it regularly. The temporary tires/wheels didn't help either as they were very short 195/50's. It dumped oil all over the exhaust, soaking the header wrap and catching the oil/wrap on fire. I quicky pulled over and smothered it with my shirt and I had a car cover inside the car so I used it also. That slowed the fire substantially. A guy I knew from car shows happened to be driving by and stopped; he drove me 1/8 mile to a nearby church to grab a fire extinguisher. I emptied it but there were a few small flare ups still so we went back for a second extinguisher. This got it out and the fire departement showed up quickly to take it from there. The interior firewall padding was smouldering, I didn't catch that so it's good that the fire departement showed up as soon as they did. They pulled the carpet and padding out, and wet down the headliner as a precaution.

I know I should have had an extinguisher on board, but in this case with the amount of oil that was dumped I don't think the outcome would have been much, or any better. Having the church that close and a guy that drove me there and back quickly is the only thing that saved the car from completely going up in flames. We went through one and a half large extinguishers and we were still putting out small flare-ups when the fire department got there. Had we run out again or the FD been slower to arrive it would be much worse than it is.

So the car is in pretty bad shape. I'll likely have to replace everything from the window back and most of the interior. I'm pretty bummed about it but it's just a car. I had my priorities out of line a few years back and this would have devistated me back then. Its not a big deal now, just another project to play with in the future. The guys that pulled over to help are safe, I'm safe with only a few small burns from trying to smother the fire. It could have easily been much worse if I hadn't got a ride to the church to pick up the fire extinguishers.

I know you guys were looking forward to some driving impressions so here's what I could tell from the short drive to/from the gas station, and the second short trip before the fire.

The bottom end power was still there, and was actually better than before. It was very stout from 2-3k, enough that I easily kicked it sideways just laying into it (not popping the clutch) coming out of the driveway. It had a big hesitation around 3200 rpm (idle to main transition?) then picked up on the mains up to around 6,000 rpm. The top end was very weak, jetting must have been way off or something else was wrong. It didn't have the harsh/instant torque like the old motor had below ~1700 rpm so it was easier to drive smoothly like I was hoping for, but still had a lot of grunt between 2-3k rpm. With the bottom end power improved, I'm dissapointed that it wasn't running well enough to see how it ran on the top end.

I was suprised at how much louder the 45's were over the old 36's. The AA exhaust is much louder than the old Vintage Speed exhaust, probably something I wouldn't have been able to live with. The louder intake noise was nice though, I really liked how they sounded when rolling into the throttle.

Pics from the scene. It's pretty ugly, lots of damage to the car and engine. The carbs are frozen, alternator is locked down. Everything that wasn't metal is gone. I haven't been able to see if the engine will turn over. I'll be tearing it apart this week to start the clean up as the extinguisher powder is likely to be corrosive. At this point I'll probably just tear it down, get it cleaned and the metal protected, and put it in the barn for awhile.

'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

damn Sad sorry to hear that, good luck building it back!

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Man that sucks BAD Shocked

The first drives are always the most fun and most nerve racking! Sorry it turned out this way Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Ouch so sorry to read that Embarassed Embarassed Sad Sad

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Damn Shocked
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:

That is the worst culprit, and one of my worst fears. It's the reason I have a pile of dry sump parts sitting here, being considered for my engine. For the time being I've used the Jaycee mag plate which mounts the drain plug flush and I have raised my car up a bit..
Regardless, that's the shittiest of luck and I'm sure you're disgusted, but I hope you don't walk away from it for too long. I was looking forward to reading about how this motor drove, hopefully the damage is limited to the bolt on items.
SD
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

NO WAY!
Shocked

Most of that can be fixed.
I want to know, did the carbs survive?
Pizza Eater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Sweep the Floor 1679cc- Heads/Cam/Exhaust? More Top End Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: