Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line that runs through the tunnel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

While I have the gas tank out, to install a new VW Thing front beam, I opened the front inspection cover and found the fuel line is wet/shiny around the front retaining clip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the car back in November, and when I got it home I could smell gas. It may have been coming from the carburetor, but after seeing a wet/shiny spot on the fuel line, I have to replace it. I already cleaned out some sand and grit, and installed a new outlet pipe and plastic strainer on the gas tank.

After reading a bunch of threads on gas line replacement, I decided to take the advice of "clrrer"' ... " I took a 4 ft long piece of 1/4 inch square steel tube, from Home Depot, and hammered the end flat. I reached through the front access hole and bent the strap open with it. Be patient."

Since I have a pry bar, I decided to try it before going out and buying the square tube. It worked !!!!!

I'm gonna take this job slow and methodically, but will try to take pictures (Sorry, It's a cell phone camera) along the way since this is an intimidating job (At least, to me it is)

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Photo looks like somebody been in tunnel before, whole top section looks like a new/fabricated (non-stock) piece....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't expect to see the "extra" metal inside the tunnel either.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Also, I thought I would mention, I drained the gas out of the tank a couple of weeks ago, to install a new front beam. I disconnected the fuel hose going to the fuel pump, after the fuel filter, and pinching it off with vise grips, and let it gravity feed into a gas can by removing the vise grips. It took a few times to finally get the tank drained. I poured the filtered fuel into another vehicle and continued to drain the tank until the gas can was about half full each time.

I found the wet/shiny gas line after further inspection, so I decided to change it.

I marked the location of the shifter and removed it.

I removed the rear shift linkage inspection cover and disconnected the coupler and allowed the shifter rod to dangle inside the tunnel.

I unscrewed the wingnut on the clutch cable and removed the pedal assembly.

(I noticed brake fluid around the ripped master cylinder boot, Yeah, I know, lol)

I just wanted to warn anybody about the dangers of working around gas and gas lines. Mine had been drained previously and any residual has since been evaporated. Still, BE CAREFUL !!!!!

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

The front beam frame head looks normal from the outside.

Not sure what the extra iron is for.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I took a picture through the rear shifter coupler inspection window. It's pointing toward the left rear of the car below the torsion tube.

I believe that's the emergency brake cable tube on the left, and my front to rear fuel line on the right.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

It looks like the emergency brake cable and fuel line are both captured by a continuous loop tacked to the pan. I can't really see or get a picture of the back side, but it feels like one continuous piece.

I believe I have two options ...

1) Die grind or saw the loop in two, just below the weld, pry the loop apart, and replace the line inside the loop (like the original). Then tack the loop back together

Or ...

2) Leave the original fuel line together with the e-brake, cutting the majority of the fuel line out leaving as little as possible to stay clamped in the loop keeping the clamped e-brake cable in place. Then just tie the new fuel line to this original e-brake/fuel line assembly.

I'm gonna try to pry the rear loop open, hoping it has a split on the side I can't see or feel. Otherwise, I might just go for option two, since I can't even see the weld. I could use a mirror to die grind and weld, but I'm not so sure it's even worth it.

This might take me awhile to finish.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Maybe this will help you...

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug-insideabug_69type3

and/or...

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug

Me thinks your pan has been worked over in past as some of what you show (weld on torsion bar tube) does not look like what I have encountered opening up pans to shorten chassis for dune buggy bodies....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. I think you're right. I just found a hole-saw cut-out on the drivers side tunnel between the e-brake and the seat belt mount near the floor, that's been welded back in. I'm guessing there's another clip around there. I'm gonna remove the circle they welded back in and have a look inside. I want to make a more solid cover for the hole since they blew holes trying to weld the gap up. Every time I start looking around, I see stuff I need to fix. I better stop looking around Lol

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I guess there's more than two options ...

I just cut off the line at the rear frame horn and pushed it through the horn, and cut the line off at the rear shifter coupler opening and pulled the short piece of line right through the loop, cutting short pieces off as more came out. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the new line through the loop so easily, but I'm happy I got a small piece of the entire line out.

This job sure chews up the hands. Squeezing my hands into such small openings is taking its toll.

I think my next step will be to hole saw out the hole the PO cut and re-welded. I'll pick up a hole saw and 25 ft. of fuel line next.

I want to buy a Lincoln 180C welder and cart for some projects like seat mounts, bumper mounts, light mounts etc. so it might be awhile before I weld up the hole. We'll see.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the hole previously cut and welded in the drivers side tunnel.

I'm gonna re-cut the hole with a hole saw, poke around with a telescoping mirror to find out what's holding the rest of the fuel line from being pulled out through the front access hole, and eventually make a tighter fitting hole patch to weld back in. I'll grind it flush and paint it since I don't plan on doing the fuel line again anytime soon.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Regarding that "extra metal" inside the front near the Napoleon hat...
Are there 2 bolt holes in the top of the tunnel just behind the Napoleon hat? If there are, then it might be a converted Super Beetle pan. If you cut off the hammerhead, and weld on a standard frame head, voila! you have a standard pan!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

No, there's no bolts on the tunnel Dusty. The VIN code says it was built in May/June 1969. I guess a new frame head could have been welded on by a PO. It's not a really rusty car, but maybe front end damage forced a frame head replacement somewhere in the last 45 years. The car is kinda mixed. Some stuff looks good, some just worn out, then there are the head scratchers. I'm going through everything safety-wise (Fuel System/Steering/Brakes) with a fine tooth comb and have found mixed results. The wiring is another head scratcher, but that's another story lol

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

So, I got a hole saw to match the hole the PO cut in the tunnel.

It didn't reveal anything except a clutch cable tube repair made previously. The original bracket broke, so the PO made another bracket and welded the tube to it.

Curiosity got the best of me, and at the risk of being called a butcher, I opted to make another hole saw cut on the passenger side. ( I'm gonna weld the holes back up )

I was able to see my fuel line clamped/brazed to the clutch cable tube.

I wanted to cut a dozen more holes in my tunnel (I'm kidding), but decided to just stop right here. I just cut the line off as short as possible through the PO hole saw cut.

And, through the shifter hole, and called it good.

In retrospect, I really shouldn't have hole-saw cut the second hole on the passenger side, and just recut the PO's hole-saw cut to make a better repair, but maybe these pictures will help somebody else that's gonna tackle this job in the future. The center fuel clamp is directly below the E-Brake on a '69 and is clamped to the clutch cable tube.

Well, now it's off to the FLAPS to buy some fuel line.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Well, I just got back from the FLAPS, and they were out of the 1/4" x 25' steel line. They said they would have some for me tomorrow. The entire way there, I kept thinking about how I was leaving a remnant of the old fuel line in the tunnel and that I cut the hole in the passenger side for nothing. So, I convinced myself (twisted my arm and everything) to purchase a dremel tool. I'm even convinced I'll use it on other projects, and that I cannot put a price on safety lol.

I'm gonna try to cut the bracket loose and remove what's left of the original fuel line Confused

Last edited by Dark Earth on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

Well ... SUCCESS !!!!! I've got the entire fuel line removed from the vehicle !!!!!

I've reached the half way point of this project, and I think I'm gonna take a break from this project for awhile.

I'll post more pictures when I get around to installing the new line Very Happy

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I followed forkzilla's lead from Hugo Stigliz's awesome ... "How To: Metal fuel line replacement w/pics" thread, and bought this coiled steel roll.

I found the tubing bender in the store too. With what's left over from the roll, I want to make a separate fuel line from the fuel pump to the back of the engine. It's gonna have a few bends. I want it to go through the center of the spark plug wire plastic three slot fan shroud clip, then down to a rubberized p-clamp bolted to the left side fan shroud/tin bolt. I'll definitely need the bender for that.

Next week I'll try to finish installing the steel line in the tunnel, then I'll tackle the engine fuel line.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I started at the rear frame horn and fed trimmer line in.

I made sure the trimmer line went outside of the welded together clamp at the rear torsion tube.

I pulled it through the shifter coupler access hole.

I then pushed the trimmer line forward until I fed it through the front frame head.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I then taped the trimmer line to mark how long I want the fuel line to be.

I then pulled the trimmer line through the front access hole until I got to the taped trimmer line mark. I measured the trimmer line in front of the tape and got about a ten foot measurement. I straightened out about eleven feet of fuel line and cut it from the 25 foot roll. I used this tool to straighten the line out.

I now have about 11 feet of trimmer line inside the tunnel and 11 feet of trimmer line outside of the tunnel. I fed the 11 feet of straightened out fuel line over the trimmer line and folded the trimmer line over the front end of the fuel line and taped it.

I taped the end going into the tunnel also. Now I just started pulling the line through, using the trimmer line and kinda guiding it by hand through the different access holes I have.

Soon, I had it at the frame horn.

I checked it at the rear torsion tube.

I cut the excess off and fed the fuel line through the frame head.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line that runs through the tunnel Reply with quote

I then installed grommets front

and rear

I then folded over the front fuel line clip.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: