Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

Folks, I have a Type 2 box and a set of Porsche 944 stub axles, CVs and drive-shafts.

No funny business planned with the rear suspension: just re-indexed IRS trailing arms, 25+mm torsion bars and standard damper stroke/travel...

Will it all work with Bug hubs/brakes and trailing arms?
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

I've done a lot of research on this myself. You should be good to go with those parts. The stub axles will fit a Bug hub and the CVs will give you more travel than a Bug or Bus CV would.

http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/CVJoints_Axles/cv_joints_101.htm

Last edited by EnjoyNukaCola on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

Yep, I run exactly that rear end in my sand rail, works great. 944 joints give extra travel too, and I use it.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

I run the same setup in my rail and baja no problems, you can even use the 944 porsche arms.
You do have to adjust the mounting of the trans by shifting a little to the left or right. I forget. I centered my setup by measuring the distance cup on trans to cup on arms. Take a look at this trans mount and you will see slots for shifting the trans.
DWP
http://www.mooreparts.com/vw-solid-steel-rear-tran...Hwod5HQDOQ
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

Thanks folks,
I intend to use the Porsche arms and spring plates in a performance track/road car (fitted with Bug stubs inside the Porsche brakes) with a Type I box and driveshafts

The Porsche stubs, CVs and drive shafts will be fitted in Bug IRS suspension arms (for spring plate compatibility) with Bug drum brakes and a Kombi/Type 2 box in the Baja

Hope that makes sense!
danielzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
I run the same setup in my rail and baja no problems, you can even use the 944 porsche arms.
You do have to adjust the mounting of the trans by shifting a little to the left or right. I forget. I centered my setup by measuring the distance cup on trans to cup on arms. Take a look at this trans mount and you will see slots for shifting the trans.
DWP

Quick question.

If you use the 944 arms. You're stuck with the 944 brakes only correct ?

Just trying to clarify in my own mind.

Thanks, Dan

www.danielzink.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

danielzink wrote:
DWP wrote:
DWP

Quick question.

If you use the 944 arms. You're stuck with the 944 brakes only correct ?

Just trying to clarify in my own mind.

Thanks, Dan

I hope not! I intend to run Beetle-type brakes on Porsche arms. That way I will have the Porsche's camber/toe adjustment at the spring plate without needing to re-drill VW arms
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Yep, I run exactly that rear end in my sand rail, works great. 944 joints give extra travel too, and I use it.

No shit, so T1 arms would fit in a T2 chassis?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

The early 944 arms and some of the aluminum, early non turbo i think, are exactly the same as a type 1 arm. The type 1 brakes bolt right on. Or if you want you can use the porsche brakes. You just need to rig a different parking brake cable.
iF you can get the porsche spring plate and adjusting bolts. Allows for a fine tuning of the rear.
If you are using a bus trans just use the porsche stubs and axles. everything bolts up no problems
DWP
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus/Kombi box; IRS chassis; 944 shafts and CVs? Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
The early 944 arms and some of the aluminum, early non turbo i think, are exactly the same as a type 1 arm. The type 1 brakes bolt right on. Or if you want you can use the porsche brakes. You just need to rig a different parking brake cable.
iF you can get the porsche spring plate and adjusting bolts. Allows for a fine tuning of the rear.
If you are using a bus trans just use the porsche stubs and axles. everything bolts up no problems
DWP

Thanks DWP, it seems I have all the bits I need to build two chassis (one Baja with Type 2 box, Porsche CVs/driveshafts and Beetle drum brakes, and a German Looker 1303 with Porsche disc brakes and Beetle CVs/shafts beside a Type 1 box) without buying any extra, or custom-machined, components. Excellent!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: