Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

My son (14) just bought an OLD sand rail that has everything but the seat covers and a battery. Oh yea, had to buy an engine also. But everything is old/wornout/needs redoing. Great project car for him.

The wiring is there but needs updating. I read a bunch of stuff here and elsewhere and could not find a diagram that was close enough to what we have. So I made up a new one. Could you make comments on what you think?

thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

I like the idea of the trailer plug for the tow vehicle.
Not sure if you can kill the ignition with the feed from the gen/alt like that once it is charging.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

[quote="MacLeod Willy"]I like the idea of the trailer plug for the tow vehicle.
Not sure if you can kill the ignition with the feed from the gen/alt like that once it is charging.[/quote
Yeah, he beat me to it. There are cutoff switches that have a small terminal too. That would fix it.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

It does not show any wiring for oil pressure switch...

You have two RH stop lamps.....

Agree with others the GEN idiot lamp can not be inline with positive(+) to coil....

You do not need trailer connector for stop/tail/turn lamps, all you need is a umbilical to tow vehicle (from front of buggy) with isolation diodes....

You need to study these three diagrma and make yours pretty much like a merged version of these three....

If you can swing it a alternator system is simpler than generator...

Don't discount or snicker at idea of high/low beams or turn signals on rail.... At night you will love them....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and the catches. I messed up the warning light when I was cleaning up the diagram moving things around.

Also this is a very budget build. My son does not have much money to spend so it is mostly going to be using what we have.

Oil pressure gauge is run by oil pressure. Headlights we have are some old Cepak 55w halogens and do not plan on revising now. So no high/low but I did put a switch in for turn signals and the diodes.

Added some other stuff also.

MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Why the isolation diodes?
Its early so my brain is foggy
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

So power from tow vehicle does not feed back and light front head lamps or dash lamps of buggy while towing....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
Thanks for the responses and the catches. I messed up the warning light when I was cleaning up the diagram moving things around.

Also this is a very budget build. My son does not have much money to spend so it is mostly going to be using what we have.

Oil pressure gauge is run by oil pressure. Headlights we have are some old Cepak 55w halogens and do not plan on revising now. So no high/low but I did put a switch in for turn signals and the diodes.

Added some other stuff also.

Looks good at first glance other than tail lights from tow vehicle umbilical connector are on wrong side of isolation diode...

I also see you added a tun signal switch, but connections to switch are little vague...

You might want to go here and look at the many (4-5) ways to wire a turn signal switch.... Those shown at "typical" after market...

https://www.flickr.com/photos_user.gne?path=&nsid=12136747%40N03&page=&details=1

This one would be minimal adapted to your wiring scheme..

Dale

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Awake and comprehending perfectly now Very Happy
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

"Looks good at first glance other than tail lights from tow vehicle umbilical connector are on wrong side of isolation diode..."

Maybe I do not understand how they work. The wiring harness from the tow vehicle comes in between the diode and tail lights. So the tow vehicle signal goes one way only to the tail lights. This is the way the drawing is that you posted.

I do need to add a flasher to the turn signal circuit and will do that. This is not a road approved vehicle so not sure I even need the turn signals but looked relatively easy to do it with my setup.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
"Looks good at first glance other than tail lights from tow vehicle umbilical connector are on wrong side of isolation diode..."

Maybe I do not understand how they work. The wiring harness from the tow vehicle comes in between the diode and tail lights. So the tow vehicle signal goes one way only to the tail lights. This is the way the drawing is that you posted.

I do need to add a flasher to the turn signal circuit and will do that. This is not a road approved vehicle so not sure I even need the turn signals but looked relatively easy to do it with my setup.

Red and yellow circles are what I see as issues...

On backwoods or desert, T signals tells anyone following you what your intentions are just like on street.... But that is up to you...

Dale

CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

thanks Dale, hopefully this is fixed. I think the stop lamps were ok but I missed on the running lamps. trailer wires now all come in between the diode and lamp.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Note in yellow circle the wire coming off brake light switch and going to each stop/turn lamp, the two lamps are effective shorted together and IF you choose to use turn signals, they will both flash or show "stop" no matter which way you turn the TS switch...

To use turn signals/brake lights, wire has to go through TS switch as my previous diagram for turnsignals, IF you do not choose to use turn signals and have brake lights only its ok.... You just cant have it both ways...

And flasher input to turn signal switch should be from IGNition terminal of ignition switch .... The flasher circuit IS the power for turn signals not (necessarily) the fuse panel...

You are definitely getting closer....

Dale

MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Note in yellow circle the wire coming off brake light switch and going to each stop/turn lamp, the two lamps are effective shorted together and IF you choose to use turn signals, they will both flash or show "stop" no matter which way you turn the TS switch...

To use turn signals/brake lights, wire has to go through TS switch as my previous diagram for turnsignals, IF you do not choose to use turn signals and have brake lights only its ok.... You just cant have it both ways...

And flasher input to turn signal switch should be from IGNition terminal of ignition switch .... The flasher circuit IS the power for turn signals not (necessarily) the fuse panel...

You are definitely getting closer....

Dale

Yes if you run the brake switch into the sig sw you will be able to get sig and brake
Remove the power into the TS sw, unless your using a OEM turn sw with a horn ring
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

I think the issue here is that what I have as a turn signal switch is a simple spdt rocker switch. If I am looking at the right diagram that you posted all the wires go into the VW turn column switch.

Input from the ign/flasher providing power to the switch and then to respective lamps. To use this I think I will have to add four diodes.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

It is not going to work properly becasue brake lights will over ride turn signals....

A turn signal switch does two things, it turns off stop light circuit to bulb on side you are you are going to turn to...

The switch also turns ON and connect flasher circuit to side in which you intend to turn....

The diodes you have added will not do this...

Simple solution will be add a second set of lights for buggies stop circuit and allow the first set to function as turn signals from buggy and towing....

If you want to use simple toggle switch with out running brake wiring through TS switch .... This is what it will take, it technically replaces all the functions of column mounted (after market) turn signal switch.......

Or without "hazard warning"...

This is why VW in its early cars chose to simply add second single filament bulb for turn signals ....

Dale

CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

I give up!!!

Looking for a decent column mounted switch.

thanks for all the good input.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

I give up!!!

Looking for a decent column mounted switch.

thanks for all the good input.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Don't give up..... You are almost here....

IF you cant make circuit work on paper, you do not have enough understanding to make it work on vehicle....

IF you decide to go with column mount, go with something like the "Peterson Manufacturing " unit (PM 500) as it has metal body and cost a bit moren (around $50), but will survive longer as cheap Chinese Chrome units (around $20-25) are plastic body and probably not survive the off road action.....

PM 500

Dale

vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Please check out proposed my sand rail wiring harness Reply with quote

Where about in Michigan are you?
SandRails Coming Soon!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: