Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy throttle body installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

Just installed rebuilt Go Westy throttle body. Van was running pretty well with the old throttle minus TPS plugged in. The van would idle at 2800 rpm with TPS plugged in. Hoped the new throttle body would solve my problem. Started up after install. RPM's surge to 2500 or so then dies. Doesn't seem to matter if TPS is plugged in or not. What did I do wrong? Pretty sure new one is back in exactly the way the old one came out. Are there adjustments I am neglecting? Thanks for any assistance.
icolquhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

sounds like a large vacuum leak
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

Did you install a new rubber seal to the intake manifold?

All hoses are back on where they came from?

Look for dislodged electrical connectors.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

maybe the old plenum needs to be replaced. Only place i can imagine a large vacuum leak.
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

I'm an idiot. I blame it on the lighting in my garage. The gasket/plenum was still stuck on the old throttle body. I had installed new one directly to the intake with no gasket hence large vacuum leak. All is well now. Thanks guys.
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

Go Chiefs!
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

My throttle body is good...CHIEFS!!!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

SEA....HAWKS!
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation (1986 Syncro) Reply with quote

Thought I was all good with my new throttle body. Idled great, fired up better than ever. I warmed it up to drive to work this morning and noticed exhaust smelled rich. Drove a few blocks and the van died upon acceleration. Seems to idle at just under 1000 rpm. Any other adjustments to consider. Maybe do a reset on the ECU? It has been awhile since the throttle control valve was plugged in.
obd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy throttle body installation Reply with quote

by the way, 1986 Syncro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: