Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Swedish Campingbox
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

If you pour the acetone in a cup and mix in a little bit of water, the evaporation slows down a ton. Very nice bus!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
If you pour the acetone in a cup and mix in a little bit of water, the evaporation slows down a ton. Very nice bus!

Will try this, as I've gone thru a gallon and a quart and only done the nose and front roof! First I've heard of this!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

vwmike wrote:
Have a few days off during the holidays so have been working on the bus as much as I can. I'm not very good at taking pictures while I work, gonna have to make a point of that! Did some more stripping on the roof, and have mixed feelings about it, not much paint left. The westy applied paint is super thin! I'm being very gentle and using acetone and 0000 steel wool, this isn't removing any of the og blue under, there was just a lot of areas where it was either sanded or worn down to primer before it was resprayed. It's slow going and I'm working in the garage doors closed as the high today is freezing. From reading the og paint thread I figure lots of people go thru this, wondering what they've got themselves into....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking great Mike. Lots of paint still up there, I'd smile and say it looks great! Once the stripping is done I recommend a pass or two with TR3, its a great vintage paint protecting polish. I ordered from Amazon for like $7/tin, couldn't find it elsewhere in Canada. It will protect whats left up there quite well and gives that og paint just the right shine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Nice work mike!! I've drooled over that bus everytime Chris posted it! I agree the bakers are always top notch to deal with Cool
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
Nice work mike!! I've drooled over that bus everytime Chris posted it! I agree the bakers are always top notch to deal with Cool

Thanks Josh, the deal just felt "right"

Did some more today and came up with a better technique that seems to be preserving more paint. Will post up some more pics tommorow(have to take some, lol). The acetone cut with just 15% water also made a big difference. Could work twice as long before my hands felt frost bitten since it evaps off so much slower.

Will google that product Eric. Sounds a lot like Meguries #7 that actually has feeder oils in it. We can't get it here in BC, but I bring it back from Washington state.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Looking great!

An overnight soak (or two) with Meguiars #7 does wonders.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phill...aints.html
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Haven't had a lot to report the last little bit. Been busy back to work after the holidays and then was down and out for a few with a cold. Have been chipping away though at the stripping. Doing a couple hrs everyday for a few days makes it less tedious. Have gone through 3 gallons of acetone, some stripper, a quart of lacquer thinner, plus tons of steel wool, plastic blades, and gloves. Funny experience, just when you think you have it figured out, the paint starts reacting different, and your back trying something else. The westfalia applied paint is so soft and thin as compared to factory VW. Anyone who has stripped a westy and mentioned how hard the hatches are to try and strip, well this bus is all hatch paint, at least I think so. There's going to be a lot of blending to do, but I think there's enough left to make it worthwhile. At least that's my hope.

More pics in the gallery.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

This has been my go to solution, adding 10% water slows it down a lot.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

The bus is looking great. When all those big areas are blended in it's going to look even better.

I agree about the soft paint, I washed my og paint 11/55 subhatch right after I bought it and I swear half the paint was sitting on the driveway when I was done. I almost wished I would have just clearcoated it how it sat.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Mike is this your first split bus? Very cool looking and rare ride Exclamation
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Beautiful. Looking great!
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
The bus is looking great. When all those big areas are blended in it's going to look even better.

I agree about the soft paint, I washed my og paint 11/55 subhatch right after I bought it and I swear half the paint was sitting on the driveway when I was done. I almost wished I would have just clearcoated it how it sat.

Thanks Greg. Had a few rough days I wanted to throw in the towel. But feeling like I've turned the corner. Just have to find a good paint supply house now.

My bet is that westfalia didn't bake these paint jobs like Vw did, it's probably just an air dry enamel of some sort. It's no wonder so few of these buses survived as inside on the floors it's just primer everywhere no paint. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if I shouldn't clear coat the outside once I'm done do help protect it, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Just for fun I tried a little stripper on my og paint bay window, and was amazed how much easier it was to strip as nothing softened the og paint.

Last edited by vwmike on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Mike is this your first split bus? Very cool looking and rare ride Exclamation

Hey Marc. This is actually my 3rd split. Have had 2 press bumper panel vans over the years. This is definetly the best one by far!
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Beautiful. Looking great!

Thanks Jack, means a lot. I've read through your build thread several times now since buying the bus. I'll be happy if mine turns out half as good!
70slooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

As someone who has spent sometime with this bus, hats off to you mike! That light blue paint is very thin, I'm surprised it came up this well, im happy to see the progress that you've put into this special bus!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Beautiful mike, keep it up.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Hats off to you, keep up the good work

When I was stripping my westy, the Beige paint was very soft and easy to cut thru, I thought it was a primer at first.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

70'slooker wrote:
As someone who has spent sometime with this bus, hats off to you mike! That light blue paint is very thin, I'm surprised it came up this well, im happy to see the progress that you've put into this special bus!

Thanks so much. The light blue definitely looks a little better in the pics. Time and the 0000 ultra fine steel wool are the secret. It polishes it more than removing it.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Hats off to you, keep up the good work

When I was stripping my westy, the Beige paint was very soft and easy to cut thru, I thought it was a primer at first.

I've read your build thread now a couple times and I could see how you would think that! I love how you guys sanded and excavated all the different layers to come up with your colour scheme. I wasn't the one who discovered the westy paint on this bus, but it was fairly obvious as it was ordered in primer, westy painted and then in the 60/70s had a very thin dove blue respray with only spot primer and min prep or scuffing. The dove blue was burned off in some of the thin spots, showing the westy paint. This is still an epic undertaking, I've painted a few cars over the years myself, and thus is not work without a doubt, lol!
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

vwmike wrote:
70'slooker wrote:

Thanks so much. The light blue definitely looks a little better in the pics. Time and the 0000 ultra fine steel wool are the secret. It polishes it more than removing it.

It's looking realy good Mike,I use 0000 wire wool a lot for my work and it's great on vw paint aswell it worked really well when I stripped my 54.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: