Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 815, 816, 817 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Do any of these latest really count as hunted? I have known about these in Pismo Beach for years. They were a mums the word kinda thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

You really are only collecting it for someone else in the end.

^^^^That's a good quote line there...

We're all just temporary stewards of all that we've hoarded away...sometimes we get the chance to see it all go to other enthusiasts, but often times those left behind could give a shit less about it and that's a shame because it should stay enthusiast owned even if it is sold for pennies on the dollar IMO.

Again, well said ^^
Randy's place reminded me of a smaller, dryer version of John Chipps/ Delhi Ont. Vw graveyard, a proud VW guy, family left to deal w/ his stuff, I hope the family does well & all those "Finds" that he had provided do well for them-finding good homes....
As I found out, if you find a great stash, follow it, be respectful, and be ready to roll.
If it were up to me, which it never is, I'd be going w/the 1 day only yard sale, my place, buy my stuff while I lay waisting away in front of my garage ! Confused

Mr. White, I guess Hunted in the way that the were finally bagged ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Yeah Randy was stubborn. I heard nothing but great things about him. I wish his family the best. Death is tough to deal with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

We're all just temporary stewards of all that we've hoarded away...sometimes we get the chance to see it all go to other enthusiasts, but often times those left behind could give a shit less about it and that's a shame because it should stay enthusiast owned even if it is sold for pennies on the dollar IMO.

I just recently re-did my will and in it i put a list of names of good vw friends that could help my family sell off my stuff and not get taking advantage of

I have personally seen what happens in this state when someone dies without a will and strongly advice anyone who cares about their family and treasured stuff to get one made with info like i did with mine Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
RHD Notch wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

Again, well said ^^
Randy's place reminded me of a smaller, dryer version of John Chipps/ Delhi Ont. Vw graveyard, a proud VW guy, family left to deal w/ his stuff, I hope the family does well & all those "Finds" that he had provided do well for them-finding good homes....
As I found out, if you find a great stash, follow it, be respectful, and be ready to roll.
If it were up to me, which it never is, I'd be going w/the 1 day only yard sale, my place, buy my stuff while I lay waisting away in front of my garage ! Confused

Mr. White, I guess Hunted in the way that the were finally bagged ??

Its a corn field now. Not a VW to be seen, you'd never know they were ever there. The good stuff found good homes. I was over to see the family last week. They did just fine. Smile
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
RHD Notch wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

I just recently re-did my will and in it i put a list of names of good vw friends that could help my family sell off my stuff and not get taking advantage of

I have personally seen what happens in this state when someone dies without a will and strongly advice anyone who cares about their family and treasured stuff to get one made with info like i did with mine Wink

You know, this has probably worked its way into a thread hijack, yet I feel it is important and some reason to speak. Perhaps someone wants to start a separate thread:
"What happens to your VW treasures when you die?"
I, too have lost friends/ acquaintances that left big VW piles. Tom Tom for one.(Hell, I didn't even know about the 54 23 window.)
A local guy had about 40 bays and Vanagons. His was sad. Most everything, including 3 Syncros were crushed.
Myself, I'm 66 and feel great, but "old men die" was something a swap meet friend told me.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Two of us have purchased buses from Randy's yard and the unfortunate thing is that Randy's son has to sell it all off. The first weekend we were there big LA buyers had already arrived and this last weekend too. They bought up most of the buses, steering wheels, and sheet metal. The locals were able to save a half a dozen or so cars and keep them local, but the rest will go to LA as parts cars and over to Europe.

Vultures no, addicted to owning these early cars yes, and saving as many as we can. Randy was one of us hanging out at local shows just like the rest of us. He just had us beat on how many toys he owned. When his son closes the gates for the last time in a few weeks, we will loose one more historical junk yard that was only aircooled.

The VW Junkie,
56 Euro 23 Window
58 Krankenwagen (Mr. Kranken)
59 Fjord Blue Bug
61 Ragtop
61 Double Cab
64 Euro Squareback Model S
65 21 Window (Blue)
71 Deluxe Bay Window
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

"he who dies with the most toys wins"
'87 - 16" Syncro High Top (1.9 TD)
'88 - Westy (EJ25)
'14 - Jetta Sportswagen (2.0 TDI)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Did anyone get good pictures of the yard before it was dismantled? I still regret not getting good pictures of Tom Arnold's yard in Moab before all the early stuff was sold off after he passed.
Tahlequah Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got this '56 pressed bumper SC from laid back hippie I've know for years. Pretty good bus, just wish wheel wells weren't hacked. I'm really happy with it none the less.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

^^^ You're killin' me with the single cab finds!
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

65 Deluxe wrote:

Just a bit of recent history on that single cab. By recent I mean in the last 8 years. That single cab was daily driven for about two years after it was acquired. On a trip back from BOR, the engine spun a rod bearing about 20 miles out on HWY 46. I heard it hammering at about 3 miles out until it showed up at my place. We called a friend with a towing service and it got hauled back to the yard and parked in the spot you see it in in the pictures.......that was 2009. A brand new VW crate engine (no longer available) was purchased at that time as a replacement engine since the engine in it ate a bearing so bad. The canvas went away and the elements got to the new engine and it got water damaged. I presently have that engine in the shop cleaning and fixing it, it's been here since July of last year. It will be one of those things that will be sold as it's now an extra engine Randy's son wishes to see go down the road. If you have any interest in that just let me know.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

langsmer wrote:
Did anyone get good pictures of the yard before it was dismantled? I still regret not getting good pictures of Tom Arnold's yard in Moab before all the early stuff was sold off after he passed.

I took a few last weekend when I was there. Not the whole yard but a few.

The VW Junkie,
56 Euro 23 Window
58 Krankenwagen (Mr. Kranken)
59 Fjord Blue Bug
61 Ragtop
61 Double Cab
64 Euro Squareback Model S
65 21 Window (Blue)
71 Deluxe Bay Window
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Whats up w/the front Bumper Bullets/Boobs ?? ^^^ Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Whats up w/the front Bumper Bullets/Boobs ?? ^^^ Laughing

Those are from a Cadillac of 50's vintage. It's a real road warrior style bumper.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Dagmars
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Dagmars

YES!

Johnny Hash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

What the cat dragged home.
60 SWR Double door
61 mango
65 kombi
Soon to come
65 walk thru
66 walk thru panel
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Interesting first post! Laughing From the snow on the roof and ground...I'm taking a wild guess that this isn't in Ventura County? Tell us more!
Johnny Hash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Colorado is where they are located and this is 3 of 5 that I'm saving.

Here is the 4th one

Needs some work but very dry.
I love country roads.

Last edited by Johnny Hash on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 815, 816, 817 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 816 of 990

Jump to: