Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'61 corner window westy campingbox
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Awesome bus and work Greg. Look forward to following you conservation!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

wow, just found this thread. amazing bus! keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Not too much to report, once the Christmas holiday was over I pulled the drivers side door off the bus and took it to the paint shop. A week later and with a wallet that felt quite a bit lighter I had a pint of white and a quart of red to show for it. I did some spray outs yesterday, wasn't totally satisfied, and dropped the whole deal back off at the paint supply shop today for some more corrections. The shop owner thought the colors were "on the money" but the guy who actually mixes the paint and the guy working the front counter felt they could be improved.

I think I'll need to bring some cookies in to butter them up next time....mmmmm.....cookies!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Another round of spray outs yesterday. A little closer, might have gone too far. The grey is now a little too warm, and a little too dark. The red is a little too orange, and a little too dark. Dropped everything back off at the paint shop today. Bribed them with some of Clara's homemade jam. Next time it might be doughnuts....mmmmmm, donuts.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Greg, I hope they can nail it this time.

Food always works with me...

Good luck
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

That was one of the most frustrating parts of my oval build...nailing down the L322 granite silver.....at least a dozen tries to get it right! Rolling Eyes
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Camping in the 15 window will be nice light and airy in the mourning's, I can smell the fresh brewed coffee already.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by brettsvw on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave kroesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

When you finally find that person who can match paint, you hold onto them with both hands. I STILL use the same dude on Sherman Way since I have trusted since the 90's, and tip him out big time because when he nails it the first time, it saves me hours and days of brain damage doing it over and over again.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eternal loop

first jam
then donuts
eventually beer

Smile
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

I checked this bus out a while back, and i think everyone who wanted this bus would be even more envious than they thought, myself included.

Can't wait to circle the westys at vintage or moxee!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

I think we are getting pretty close on the beige grey. We may be there. I am starting to like what I see. The paint dabbed on the corner is the new match on top of the previous attempt. I'll do some new sprayouts tomorrow.

I think the red still needs some more work.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I think we are getting pretty close on the beige grey. We may be there. I am starting to like what I see. The paint dabbed on the corner is the new match on top of the previous attempt. I'll do some new sprayouts tomorrow.

your goth nailpolish is chipping off

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

On my screen it looks perfect.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
campingbox wrote:

your goth nailpolish is chipping off

Damn, I'm so embarrassed. Everyone knows Thursday night is club night, so I'll make sure I touch it up then.
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

Hey Greg not sure if you have been checking your color outside but fluorescent lights in your garage/shop will change (all)colors drastically even the fluorescent "true daylight" bulbs aren't good enough for checking/matching color

I'm not sure how much sun you guys are getting this time of year but try checking it outside and see what you think I have seen colors look great inside then taken outside only to find out they're not even in the same color spectrum

I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious just trying to be helpful

The bus looks great by the way Very Happy

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

That is good advice Kris. The weather forecast for the next ten days in Olympia is nothing but rain. Hopefully we see a few sun breaks at some point - it probably won't rain every minute of every day.

I worked as a technician in a color darkroom for about five years and worked in a 1-hour photo lab for a number of years before and overlapping that so I understand all about color temperatures and how they can affect hues. The fluorescent lights in the shop are daylight corrected but nothing beats good old sunshine.

I'm not sure the color is there yet but it's getting close. I'll do a spray out tomorrow and hang it up waiting for some sun to shine before calling it good.

Ultimately I want the color to look right under every lighting condition.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

A big part of color perception is context. Colors can look entirely different based on nearby colors.

^^^ your match looks pretty damn close to me!

The spray thickness, texture and color of undercoat are also important. You might have to make some more adjustments once it's actually sprayed in place. I found that I could only get a real reading on the color by spraying an area, color sanding AND polishing...then of course, looking at it outdoors.

Looking great!
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
A big part of color perception is context. Colors can look entirely different based on nearby colors.

^^^ your match looks pretty damn close to me!

The spray thickness, texture and color of undercoat are also important. You might have to make some more adjustments once it's actually sprayed in place. I found that I could only get a real reading on the color by spraying an area, color sanding AND polishing...then of course, looking at it outdoors.

Looking great!

Thanks Jack!

I think you are right about how the proximity can change how the color looks. That combined with texture, gloss, and reflections of the surroundings.

I did my new spray outs last night and let them dry overnight. I added a slightly uncontrolled amount of flattener to the mix - it's hard to get the ratios right on these very small quantities of paint.

We had some sunshine this morning and Clara and I spent quite a bit of time critiquing the beige grey. At first I thought it might be slightly too dark, then the sun came out even brighter and I thought it was perfect. Came back again an hour later and I thought it might be too dark. In the end we added three squirts of white to the mix and I hope it's gonna be on the money now.

The SWR is still too orange, and too dark, so I took that back and I'll let Donny tweak on it some more.

Yah! Sunshine.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I am thinking probably red curtains:

this pic popped up on my instagram feed recently - somewhat related for swr/bg deLuxe conversion curtain color:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '61 corner window westy campingbox Reply with quote

Nice picture Dan!

I'm still tweaking on the beige grey. Baby steps with the toner, spray it out and wait overnight to dry. Repeat the process the next day, etc. It's so close now that I'm using a glass dropper and counting the drops.

I polished up the nose a bit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: