Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the inside of the heater channel repaired

undercoated

the door pillar having had a hand made panel let in

rear 1/4 panel painted

seat frames repaired and painted

the old interior

carpets hand cut and stitched by me having used he old ones as patterns

Thanks to TMI for supplying the interior
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Billy Beetle in all his glory with his distant Amarok relative
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Looks great. Can't beat a red interior.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Nice! My '66 also has red interior. But my panels are worn out; trying to resurrect them. I didn't think red panels for a '66 were still available.

What was wrong with the lower rear quarter that was removed? Rust? The rest of the area looks relatively rust free.

What was wrong with the seat frames? Broken welds?

(You'll have to excuse me if you have a thread somewhere else that answers my questions. I'm fairly new to the site.) Embarassed
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

[quote="Grug"]Nice! My '66 also has red interior. But my panels are worn out; trying to resurrect them. I didn't think red panels for a '66 were still available.

What was wrong with the lower rear quarter that was removed? Rust? The rest of the area looks relatively rust free.

What was wrong with the seat frames? Broken welds?

(You'll have to excuse me if you have a thread somewhere else that answers my questions. I'm fairly new to the site.) Embarassed[/quote

The rear 1/4 was bubbling at its base. The heater channel had also gone a little crispy. The drivers seat had a broken weld and was generally scuffed and scratched. All the Red seat covers and door cards are available repro through TMI. Highly recommended too. My door cards are original.
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

The 66 one year only upholstery and panels were a project I took on to make exact OE panels with correct heat seal lines. Good to know they are being well received. Smile
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Greetings Marklee,
I just wanted to chime in and say Great Job on the '66 Pigalle interior. I went through a similar exercise with my '66, combining my carpet redo with TMI's upholstery and my survivor door panels. I gotta ask thought, what is the smooth, flap looking piece on the side carpet sections ? Just curious. Again, Great Job !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

thats a vinyl pad that was on the original carpet to prevent wear from the right foot on the accelerator, probably not needed on left hand drive cars
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
The 66 one year only upholstery and panels were a project I took on to make exact OE panels with correct heat seal lines. Good to know they are being well received. Smile

Mario, I am thrilled with the seat covers. They are really good quality but not exact copies,I only know this by comparing the originals and repros. The differences are minimal and unnoticable to "normal" people. Please pass on my thanks to Kristen Raney and feel free to show her the thread and use the pics for whatever purpose you might need. I am so very happy with the fit and finish, better than I could ever have expected.

Thanks again
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure those door panels are not available through my Canadian supplier (California Import Parts out of Langley, BC). They offer '66 panels, but not in red. They do offer red panels, but not for a '66. Sad

It's so expensive to use an American supplier as the Canadian dollar is very low right now and customs charges jack the price up when they cross the border.

A shame as I love the red panels in my '66. They're rare and they 'pop' in contrast to the white of the car (but mine are beat).
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Grug wrote:
I'm pretty sure those door panels are not available through my Canadian supplier (California Import Parts out of Langley, BC). They offer '66 panels, but not in red. They do offer red panels, but not for a '66. Sad

It's so expensive to use an American supplier as the Canadian dollar is very low right now and customs charges jack the price up when they cross the border.

A shame as I love the red panels in my '66. They're rare and they 'pop' in contrast to the white of the car (but mine are beat).

I get that, they really are worth the money though. I had to pay an extra £115 tax and import charges but dont regret it for a second. You could of course get the other colour panels and paint them with a vinyl paint, not as horrendous as it sounds..http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/vinylkote-paint-leather-vinyl
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Grug wrote:

CIP has access to our whole line, give them the part number 19-1130-957. They will contact me for pricing.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

Mario, I am thrilled with the seat covers. They are really good quality but not exact copies,I only know this by comparing the originals and repros. The differences are minimal and unnoticable to "normal" people. Please pass on my thanks to Kristen Raney and feel free to show her the thread and use the pics for whatever purpose you might need. I am so very happy with the fit and finish, better than I could ever have expected.

Thanks again
What was different about them? I had a customer send in his originals that we patterned off of.
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

marklee wrote:

What paint did you use to match the Scarlet Red (SL652) seat frames? If it was mixed, can you share the code?
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Quote:
CIP has access to our whole line, give them the part number 19-1130-957. They will contact me for pricing.

Sounds good. I'll let them know.

As far as I can tell, these are my only choices for panels through CIP here in Canada. Red, but none for a '66.

https://www.cip1.ca/searchresults.asp?cat=124

Thanks Mario
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
marklee wrote:

What paint did you use to match the Scarlet Red (SL652) seat frames? If it was mixed, can you share the code?

I couldnt find a paint formula for the scarlet so ended up painting them VW Gambia red LA3B
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
marklee wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

Thanks again
What was different about them? I had a customer send in his originals that we patterned off of.

Mario, you have a PM
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

Grug wrote:
Quote:

As far as I can tell, these are my only choices for panels through CIP here in Canada. Red, but none for a '66.

Thanks Mario
You can also check with Concept One, http://store.concept1.ca/
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just some cosmetics and a new 66 TMI interior Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
Grug wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Mario
You can also check with Concept One, http://store.concept1.ca/

I've never heard of them. Will definitely have a look. Canadian suppliers are my preferred route due to customs hassles and the sagging Canadian dollar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: