Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

told you Laughing you're a rock star now!

They thought I was odd, like a folk singer. The bus, they liked!
nickg321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

nickg321 wrote:
Skills, the work you do is insane. Make my dad and I seem like hacks, although our stuff works....eventually.

What was the final gearing you chose for the transmission? I was driving my 2.0t around town and noticed I was @ about 3400 going 45 with my stock 002 while in fourth. Not good. At this point, I am looking for options. A modified 002 would be more affordable (I think) but a subaru transmission is made for the job. The subi tranny conversion is quite pricey though.

thanks for the compliment!

I saw your thread and thought Shocked a turbo bus....that has to be a handful to keep straight Laughing

honestly, I can't really advise what gearing you should run. the correct turbo water pumps on a turbo Subaru have a different GPM than that of a n/a. your best bet would be find a car that your swap came out of take it for a drive and try to match cruising rpm's to that engine.

what I have found is everything has to work in conjunction with all of the sub systems. knowing that an 002 keeps the aircooled spinning high (to keep the fan moving) right off the bat I went with a stock 091 in my bus. even coupled with tall tires I found the 091's stock gearing to be poor at best, and re-geared a 002

sorry that I don't have a real answer for you. I will say a well geared 4 speed works well enough with these conversions BUT a 5 speed would make it that much better. problem is as you point out a 5 speed will eat a huge part of the budget on one of these conversions. some day when I have gobs of disposable income (as in never Laughing ) I would go 5 speed, but once you figure out ideal cruising rpm's for your conversion you can "split the difference" so to speak.

Damnit Skills! You don't have all the answers yet? Geeeeesh. Laughing Time for you to go turbo Cool

I think I will give benco a call. I'm almost thinking I can go taller in all gears. Currently, 4th has power going from about 30mph up to 75 (as high as Ive attempted). I want to cruise this sucker with low rpms and travel the U.S. Razz
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Some folks requested updated "life with the bus" thoughts now that I have had time to get over being all giggly about getting her home. Will keep it succinct...mostly.

First, since she was in storage for quite a while, I had forgotten how many teenagers and 20-somethings love these buses (busi?) A young guy at the local O'Reillys auto parts saw me at the car wash and wants to buy the bus. I like him, but he isn't my first born so, nope. Actually I don't discriminate...my first born can't have the bus either. Couple of days ago came out of the grocery store to find three teenage girls alternating taking their picture with it. "Hey you kids, get off my bus!" As Samba folks know, picture taking happens all the time. You see the upright cell phone held over the dash or out the side window. Cars moving at 20mph over the speed limit suddenly develop an affection for the speed limit as they come up along side.

We still get the usual peace signs and thumbs up. Goofy, but I missed it.

In Texas, we have the phenomenon of cowboy pickup truck drivers accelerating past in a cloud of black diesel smoke to show how they can zoom-zoom just like a Mazda. I let "most" of that crap slide, but now I have a choice.

As to driving, it really is just brilliant. I don't have to watch the rear view mirror like a hawk. The fact that she just purrs along while keeping up,with everyday traffic is something I won't ever take for granted. Having experienced pre and post Subaru life, I have a tremendous appreciation for just seamlessly flowing along on the highway in a bus for gosh sakes.

Life with the bus hasn't changed at all in other ways. The turn signals went wonky. A few flasher pulls sorted that. Skills had already done the zip tie fix on the flasher box (see Bus Daddy post on flasher fixes). I ordered a new voltage vibrator for the fuel gauge since it isn't dependable. I also had a low beam light go out on the driver side, but a new fuse solved that. The fuse didn't burn out, it just cracked. Such is life with a 30 year old vehicle. You stay after the small things so they don't pile up.

You may notice that all of these issues have nothing to do with the conversion. That has been flawless.

The shifting for the new trans is getting smoother...like butta'. Seriously, it is behaving just as Benco and Skills predicted.

The water temp touched 185 or so in slow traffic when it was 70 degrees out. Fan doesn't come on unless I just sit and let it idle until it does. I have a feeling the summer temps will be fine in all but maybe the most extreme slow-traffic over-100 degree days. Then we will see if anything needs to be tweaked to protect her from deep summer driving. Actually the cooling system is so efficient, I may want to restrict air flow a bit in cooler months.

Heat is great, warms the uninsulated bus and doesn't smell like a dungeon.

The radiator sits about 10.5 inches from terra firma. The leading edge of the angled air scoop is just over 9 inches high. For comparison, my Tahoe sits up pretty high compared to a typical car but the leading edge of the front air dam is approximately 9 inches off the ground. I haven't had any issues with clearance over speed bumps or weirdly angled parking lot exits. Unless I was going off-road, I have basically stopped thinking about it.

Okay, that wasnt exactly succinct but you aren't paying me by the word, so no worries. Very Happy

Last edited by daveark on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Good to hear! I've been considering making The Swap for a bit - good to hear your experience with it.

Congrats on the bus!
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Good to hear! I've been considering making The Swap for a bit - good to hear your experience with it.

Congrats on the bus!

Thanks!

BTW, your username is my new favorite.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

holy shit. I made someone happy Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

daveark, it will only get better from here. wait till you get the a/c dialed in. I am glad you are enjoying the 2015 bus. you will be a local rock star for sure!

I know some turd will roll up on you...just try and get a look at their face when you grab a hand full of second Evil or Very Mad I know you have some juvenile delinquent left in you Very Happy

glad the cooling system is performing well. if anyone try's to take a look at it, smash their head with a rock while they are under the bus trying to sneak a peak ...don't need anyone looking up her skirt!! Razz

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

you will be a local rock star for sure!

Fine but the tight pants and eye mascara will look pretty funny in accounting. Also, I will need to buy a harmonica.

glad the cooling system is performing well. if anyone try's to take a look at it, smash their head with a rock while they are under the bus trying to sneak a peak ...

Got it, gather rocks. Prison is gonna suck.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

hoif anyone try's to take a look at it, smash their head with a rock while they are under the bus trying to sneak a peak ..

Note to self: wear a full-face motorcycle helmet when sneaking a peek under daveark's Bus, and watch for falling/flying rocks...

Laughing
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

daveark wrote:
you will be a local rock star for sure!

Fine but the tight pants and eye mascara will look pretty funny in accounting. Also, I will need to buy a harmonica.

Step away from the harmonica sir! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
daveark wrote:

Step away from the harmonica sir! Cool

Okay,okay. Always wanted a tuba anyway.

Then I be all Jethro Tull...ish.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Laughing

I can see the headlines now.....

" in other news, a texas man was arrested playing a tuba and bludgeoning people with rocks while driving one of the fastest vw buses in texas"

fear not, i'll post bail Cool

that was a nice write up...you have lived both T4 and now Subaru. it's pretty clear that the T4 (or T1 for that matter) can't hold a candle to what even a stock(ish) 2.5 has to offer. smooth, quiet and plenty of power. it really makes driving them even more fun....no weird vibrations, no drone at xxxx rpm's....it really is nice

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

it's pretty clear that the T4 (or T1 for that matter) can't hold a candle to what even a stock(ish) 2.5 has to offer. smooth, quiet and plenty of power. it really makes driving them even more fun....no weird vibrations, no drone at xxxx rpm's....it really is nice

Aye cap'n it is...really nice.

Without going into the debate points, I understand why people choose to stay air cooled. I respect that choice and the commitment.

As for me and my family, our regret is that we waited so long.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Will you be bringing the bus to the vw swap meet in ft worth in early feb?
Not a Priest.
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Will you be bringing the bus to the vw swap meet in ft worth in early feb?

Hey Preist. I heard a customer talking about the Crash Dummies swap meet at The Bug Stop on Saturday. Same thing right? It's only about an hour from me so very possible. Will PM you.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

run that girl around! you should be proud of what you have there. that was the cleanest bus I have EVER worked on. good golly she has the original battery tray!!!

you'll find yourself needing a coffee, a nail, a washer, a colonoscopy...whatever, just an excuse to drive her!

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
kennybench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Great work on this bus Skills. Ditto on everything Daveark posted re buslife after the Subaru upgrade, especially if you must travel via the freeway. You can merge with full roll on power...and without anyone jamming around you and giving you the finger..
daveark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

kennybench wrote:
You can merge with full roll on power...and without anyone jamming around you and giving you the finger..

Kenny, agreed. I got the finger for accelerating in traffic and merging ahead of someone trying to beat me to a spot. Nirvana. (Buddhist definition, not the rock group.)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PUTT-N + Subaru= HAUL-N Reply with quote

Laughing now YOU can be a space stealer....nice!!!

it's awesome that both you and dumpy bus both had the opportunity to live life with a T4 for a while before taking the plunge. it kind of changes your perspective

Link

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: