Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon?
No
94%
 94%  [ 103 ]
Yes
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 109

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

It seems that quite a few threads pop up where the OP is asking whether or not they should purchase a vanagon. There are a couple/few users on this forum that seem to post to each of these threads that the OP would be a damn fool to buy a vanagon. The cost is always more than they think it should be. The condition is always worse than they think it should be. If the condition is too nice and the price too low then obviously the seller is not to be trusted. The OP is usually derided for being a naive fool. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I have bought several vanagons over the last 15 years or so. I've fixed some and sold them. I've used various ones as daily drivers. I parted one out. There was one van that I wish I had not purchased and one that was neither here nor there. The others were really good decisions (IMO) and more than outweigh the downsides of the one.

I'm personally very glad overall as I believe vanagons are perhaps the best vehicle currently available. I'm curious how many people feel good about purchasing their vanagon and how many resonate with the naysayers who seem to think that any vanagon purchase is a mistake.
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Too early to say if I regret it or not. That being said, I'm already about to throw a new motor in it after the old one went kaput. That can happen though, with a Chevy, Subaru, or any make. People around here talk like these things are unreliable hunks of garbage on the scale of mythical proportions. I think it's just part of the cult mystique. Any vehicle that's 27 years old is going to be an unreliable pos. Especially a German one, with their love of precision components and regular scheduled maintenance. Hell, I'm gonna be 38 soon, and my components are getting worn and unreliable themselves. Smile I've had a lot of fun in my van so far, more then in my 2000 Jeep XJ
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I don't ever talk about them as unreliable. I've found Vanagons and water-cooled VWs in general to be very reliable vehicles. Again, I think there are a select few very outspoken individuals on here that spout about unreliability but they are the minority.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I've had mine for 10 years and have never regretted it once. Sure, it can be a PITA at times, but I can't imagine driving anything else. The community alone and friendships I've made through owning it have made it one of the most rewarding decisions ever.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

My only regret was not being able to buy one sooner than I did. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I regret not stockpiling Syncros, Syncro parts and all Syncro-related program activities, before they blew up as an obse$$ion. However, I do not regret buying my Bluestar twelve years ago. My appreciation for the platform has only grown as time has passed. I genuinely prefer to drive it around town, over our Audi and Mercedes. I don't like driving it on the freeway, but that has to do with the stock gearing, which is ridiculously short.

I'm not sure whether I would recommend one to a friend, unless they either payed the big bucks for a well sorted unit, or were prepared to go through one in a similar manner, post purchase. Then again, I wouldn't recommend my friends buy any vehicle this old for all the same reasons no matter the chassis.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

well...yes and no. I sold a well-sorted 1984 Westy that never gave me trouble, and bought an 87 Syncro Westy that has been nothing but trouble. Countless CV joints, thrown rod, endless suspension/steering problems, multiple broken headpipes (it's a Tiico...). So I guess that in spite of the Syncro's good features, I regret losing the 84...that's one way to put it.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

What's regret for anyway?

I bought mine last August, first Vanagon and first VW. I bought it after i sold a 2006 Tundra and thought I'd just make sure it works well and use it as a utility vehicle to transport the materials I need for my hobbies (woodworking, welding...). The newer truck didn't work well at all for me. Sure it was nice, smooth, and powerful, but not very useful for my purpose, and too expensive to keep.

I bought the van for $1800 with super crappy interior, dents, and really crappy paint (my Volvo's almost 32 year old single stage paint looks brand new after wash and wax), but relatively recent engine, overall well working. It came with a recent set of BFG tires, nice bonus, and an extra set of tires and wheels that I resold, so the van cost me a bit less than $1600, if I don't count the ticket I got on my first outing for burning a red light after I got distracted by the rear view mirror falling down. The only ticket I've ever gotten in 25 years of driving. I resold the custom tube bumpers that I didn't like and broke the bank for a set of RMW bumpers, which I'm dying to install.

Anyway, I got into much more work and expense than I had anticipated (including completely redoing the interior), but that's purely because of my character of wanting everything to be clean, fixed up, and...just so, and *mine* I guess. So I should have anticipated that. Same thing as what I did with my Volvo 240 daily driver, which is better than factory.

I would say the one regret I have, still, was that I didn't get a van with a body that did not need work, mostly because I find any mechanical, electrical, and interior work is easier to deal with that body and paint for me, and I can't afford to have that done, so I have to call it "character" and roll with it. Making sure that everything else is fixed up and clean is important. And I probably couldn't have bought it if it had looked nice. On the positive: I don't have to cringe thinking about anyone putting a ding into my nice shiny new paint, and it's probably a good theft deterrent...

These are some of the last classic vehicles that you can personalize and upgrade without looking like a jerk, vehicles for people who don't want to drive something that looks like a jelly bean either. Can you tell the difference between Ford and Toyota sedans from a short distance these days?

If you gave me 40k to spend on a vehicle today, I wouldn't know what to buy except an older vehicle like this and enough parts and tools to fix it all up, probably put a more modern engine in it...and get it looking nice.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

No regrets.
Wish I purchased more for parts over a decade ago.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I just voted yes, but not for the reasons you may think. You see, the thing is...

I have a 1965 Beetle. It has been shunned for the last 3 years. Because Syncro.

I want to buy a house, but when I go online I brainlessly go to VANAGON specific sites and make WISHLISTS.

I beg my wife to allow me money to buy a new farkle (for my SYNCRO) but get shot down 8/10 times.

When something goes wrong (like last week i installed an incorrect 02 sensor and it really jacked up driveability) I dwell on it, but don't take the initiative to go out and check it out, knowing that I will get sidetracked and end up outside for like 2 hours screwing around... and then I wait like 2 weeks before I do anything about it.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Whatever. hahahahaah! I love my VANAGON and couldn't imagine life without it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I don't know. Still trying to figure it out.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I've been driving a 2002 Beetle this winter while my Vanagon has been off the road.

What I like about the Beetle is that it's automatic and has power everything. I dislike everything else.

My solution? I'm currently on the lookout for a tin top Vanagon with an automatic and power everything (which will most certainly need repair, but I'm totally okay with that.)

So no, I do not regret Vanagon ownership. I look at everything automotive-related in terms of how a Vanagon would make it better. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

We need some build up questions to arrive at an answer. Here is one:

Are you afraid to drive your Vanagon on the Interstate? (Those with fancy modern engine conversions need not weigh in).
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I can still sell it for more than I have into it so no.

I think a lot of the regrets are due to unrealistic expectations.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I only regret that I can afford to buy but one Vanagon for my driveway.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

No regrets!
I am absolutely thrilled with my unit! My only regret is that it is running great and requires only tinkering and tweaking now.
What's a guy to do for fun?!?......

Well.......
There is a 69 Ghia buried in the snow calling my name...... Hmmmmmmm

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
I only regret that I can afford to buy but one Vanagon for my driveway.

Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

I've dumped almost 11 grand into this thing. So I'd have to say...

Oh wait, that works out to less than $400 per year so okay - no regrets.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Having several classics and driving them regularly I can say that owning a Vanagon is alot like a classic. They are 30 years old and you get out what you put in. You have to have some sort of mechanical ability and the desire to use it, otherwise it will become expensive very quickly. If you find one that has only had oil changes done in 30 years, well get ready to restore your new purchase. Find one that has had bushings, carpet, coolant system etc replaced and it may go another 30 before these items need attention. There is also the belief that kinetic energy is created and through this energy there are emotions. Good energy, good times.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do You Regret Purchasing Your Vanagon? Reply with quote

Vanagons are very cheap to maintain and very expensive to ignore
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: