Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Just print it out on sticker paper. It may have to be reduced down in size but should work fine.

PAINT STICKER.
Is it possible to up load a doc file? If so, then anyone can use this paint sticker I put together by typing in their own paint color and paint code. It will then need to be converted to a jpeg file to retain the silver BG, otherwise it will print out with a white BG. I've done it on my MAC with no problem, but I'm not sure how it would work on a PC.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a sample of the paint sticker

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Apologies in advance, but that washer bottle one could be better. It's funny you mention this, because I just recently stumbled on my attempt from a long time ago to accurately re-create that washer reservoir sticker in MSWORD... which I gave up on at the time, because I didn't feel like searching for better font/typeface matches on the numbers.

Here's an original:

My attempt stalled out here (which is considerably closer than yours was)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Also, it was originally printed on a plastic tape, not a paper or foil sticker, making reproduction even harder. I think it was on a roll tape dispenser judging from the serrations at the ends.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

[quote="glutamodo"]Apologies in advance, but that washer bottle one could be better. It's funny you mention this, because I just recently stumbled on my attempt from a long time ago to accurately re-create that washer reservoir sticker in MSWORD... which I gave up on at the time, because I didn't feel like searching for better font/typeface matches on the numbers.

Now worries. I'll fix it right up to match yours.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Apologies in advance, but that washer bottle one could be better. It's funny you mention this, because I just recently stumbled on my attempt from a long time ago to accurately re-create that washer reservoir sticker in MSWORD... which I gave up on at the time, because I didn't feel like searching for better font/typeface matches on the numbers.

Let's take it the last mile and knock it out of the park! What font did you go with? At $16 a sticker it's so worth it.
VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Here is second version of washer sticker with different type style.
I removed this sticker from nos washer reservoir.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:
What font did you go with?

Ah, that would be telling... Twisted Evil

Actually, I think I used six different fonts there... and none of them standard ones. I've been into typeface and computer font design for many years now, and I've authored several myself. The ones used here are mostly fonts based on or inspired by typefaces used on road signs. The "max", the "ü" and the "in" are Highway Gothic series E, the "t" and the "q" are from one of my fonts "Bentley-VW", the incorrect 3 and 5s and the slash are part of the "Clearview" set of highway sign lettering, the "2" and "lb" are another one of my fonts -"A Volkswagen Brochure", the "s" is Highway Gothic series E-Modified. The rounded periods are from another one of my mash-up fonts, "Androunded 256" which combines VW's later round-letter typeface with some ultra-bolded highway-sign style numbers.

Where do you find all those fonts? Well the two VW-related ones I gave to theSamba and can be found here (The "A Volkswagen Brochure" is likely a variant on one of the bold versions of Futura, but I didn't copy that font, I actually used images of letters out of VW factory publications to create both of those fonts)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/fonts/index.php

Those two fonts, plus my versions of the FHWA Highway Gothic, those I named "An Open Road" can be found here:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/fonts2/

The Clearview fonts, (which I personally hate, and I was glad to learn that the government recently rescinded their interim approval for that typeface to be used on highway signs... but I digress) and other road sign fonts can be found as part of the "Roadgeek" family of fonts.

http://www.n1en.org/roadgeek-fonts

-Andy
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
cjargo wrote:
What font did you go with?

Ah, that would be telling... Twisted Evil

Actually, I think I used six different fonts there... and none of them standard ones. I've been into typeface and computer font design for many years now, and I've authored several myself. The ones used here are mostly fonts based on or inspired by typefaces used on road signs. The "max", the "ü" and the "in" are Highway Gothic series E, the "t" and the "q" are from one of my fonts "Bentley-VW", the incorrect 3 and 5s and the slash are part of the "Clearview" set of highway sign lettering, the "2" and "lb" are another one of my fonts -"A Volkswagen Brochure", the "s" is Highway Gothic series E-Modified. The rounded periods are from another one of my mash-up fonts, "Androunded 256" which combines VW's later round-letter typeface with some ultra-bolded highway-sign style numbers.

Where do you find all those fonts? Well the two VW-related ones I gave to theSamba and can be found here (The "A Volkswagen Brochure" is likely a variant on one of the bold versions of Futura, but I didn't copy that font, I actually used images of letters out of VW factory publications to create both of those fonts)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/fonts/index.php

Those two fonts, plus my versions of the FHWA Highway Gothic, those I named "An Open Road" can be found here:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/fonts2/

The Clearview fonts, (which I personally hate, and I was glad to learn that the government recently rescinded their interim approval for that typeface to be used on highway signs... but I digress) and other road sign fonts can be found as part of the "Roadgeek" family of fonts.

http://www.n1en.org/roadgeek-fonts

-Andy

Between your font formula (nicely done) and the NOS red label (two posts above), I believe we maybe closer. The square periods are (I think) "Ariel" and the comma between the 2 and 5 are "Century Gothic".

Having your authored fonts would make it easier, but since I don't it will have to be improvised. I'll throw something together... maybe tonight. Stay tuned.

Being this pedantic with a sticker may seem silly, but with a aftermarket price tag of $16.00 along with some of the thriftiest restorers on the planet, yes that's you (and me), it's almost humanitarian (in a odd way) to figure it out and make it free for everyone.

The only costly part is: Where to source the correct sticker stock.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:

Having your authored fonts would make it easier, but since I don't it will have to be improvised. I'll throw something together... maybe tonight. Stay tuned.

You didn't get them? They all should be easily downloadable from those links I posted. The comma, I didn't mention that but I used one of the Clearview fonts (4W, I think, which was also the variant that I used for 3 and 5)

-Andy
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Pulling up a seat here,

I know I may be among a small few on here that enjoys this kind of tedium, but I do. I find this part of playing with old stuff fascinating- nice to see I am not alone.
Popcorn
VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

I have another sticker from washer reservoir. Font is bold-er than Glutamodo sticker?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

"Bold" is more of a modern computer font thing. Back then, it was probably a roller that applied the lettering to those rolls of decals, and I have to wonder if your example is one of at the start of a roll, where the roller and ink was fresh and thick!

Just to gather them together...

My previous example ( which I have to admit, I found online many years ago), then another example, one in which I did take the photo myself, (this was off of a 64 once owned by Rick (60ragtop) and then this latest one:

I also had a red decal with that same typeface on it that I wanted to take a photo of. At some point it fell off the tank I'm using in my 62, but I hurriedly slapped it back on there with a layer of clear tape over it a while back. Well I just went outside to go and take a decent photo of it, and the bloody thing was gone! Grrr. Oh well. Here's the only other photo I have of it, sadly:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to add to this old thread. That last image above, I replaced, originally it was a poor low resolution image, but I then found that missing orange sticker a couple of weeks ago when I did some serious cleaning of my 62. I made a few good quality scans of it (using one of them to replace the image that was originally seen above, of the orange decal).

Instead of all that screwing around with fonts, since I had a high-res scan of an original, I just cleaned that one up and made myself a new decal. I did it in red/orange but it's not hard to change the color, which I just did to yellow as well. I thought I'd put those images in the Gallery and here they are:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I keep forgetting to add to this old thread. That last image above, I replaced, originally it was a poor low resolution image, but I then found that missing orange sticker a couple of weeks ago when I did some serious cleaning of my 62. I made a few good quality scans of it (using one of them to replace the image that was originally seen above, of the orange decal).

Instead of all that screwing around with fonts, since I had a high-res scan of an original, I just cleaned that one up and made myself a new decal. I did it in red/orange but it's not hard to change the color, which I just did to yellow as well. I thought I'd put those images in the Gallery and here they are:

Great job. Lane Russell makes most of the decals including the water bottle decal (see link below). They also have other cool goodies for the detailed restorer. Last... they have great customer service. Good peeps. Cheers.

https://lanerussell.com/search?type=product&q=decal
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Thank you. Laughing
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

Lane Russel marks all of there stuff up... a lot. No disrespect to Eric, but when I can go to WW and get the same thing cheaper, I'm going to. He does make stickers that some plates don't sell though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

I know he makes them, I've seen the listing before.

But what he has isn't any more correct than the font-shuffling stuff that I was doing above. Now, what I posted today, that is closer to correct than anything else I've seen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

@67ctbug

Your restoration looks really great! Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

One thing jumps out at me regarding Glutamodo's work is that it far more easily translates for printing on adhesive back craft paper. Once several are printed (I'm guessing maybe 40/page) one just has to cut strips of the sticker paper- and "tear" them off with your scotch tape dispenser. The process would be much easier than trying to add serrations to a precut decal.

And besides, Andy contributes so much to beetle restorers here, I just want to support him! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Free DIY Yellow Washer Sticker. Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
@67ctbug

Your restoration looks really great! Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Thanks, when it gets time to all of the little details like decals, I'll order from you. I do have a question actually, do you know of any production figures by car color for '67?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: