Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Has anyone bought one? Confused
What size gauge sheet metal was use? same as OEM?
I notice no holes for the spark plug wire clips?

02/76 Beetle sedan

Last edited by APPLEGREENVW on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

looks good. Id buy one if it was a 36hp shape. I need room for my injectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

After getting into the 36 hp fanhousing I really like them over the the stock.
But keep in mind the original 36 hp fanhousing did not have a doghouse.
So what you are getting is a great working fanhousing with more room then stock, even if you are not running dual carbs. It is an upgrade for early cars by adding the doghouse.

As for the new fan-housing I like it but wonder about any disadvantages of the Ring.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Where'd the O.P. Go? We started bringing up real issues and he never returned. Guess he only wanted to answer general questions regarding paint and fitment...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

It's Christmas..........

Maybe the OP took a vacation to travel to be with family and friends.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

if you see him, tell him we said hi mr dave Wink and of corse merry christmass mr dave and say safe.
I hope the questions didnt skeer him away.
hmm is atom works still around?? this can be a tough crowd to deal with. and nobody can please everybody.....exempt for me of coarse Rolling Eyes I aim to please. and my aim is better than my spellen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Where'd the O.P. Go? We started bringing up real issues and he never returned. Guess he only wanted to answer general questions regarding paint and fitment...

I don't think the whole patent/copyright things was particularly relevant. Many companies make replacement parts for VW and they don't run into problems.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's Christmas..........

Maybe the OP took a vacation to travel to be with family and friends.

^^^
Yes, C1 website says the shop is closed until after New Year's.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Has anyone bought one? Confused

as soon as a version that fits the regular type1 oil cooler hits the market (if ever) i will buy one. not interested in a typeIV oil cooler conversion. I think it looks clean as hell and since it is based on stock it will cool better then other aftermarket shrouds.
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Yes, as Niel suggested, we are out on holidays.

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I was reading the replies about copyright infringement, and found it all a bit ridiculous. This type of part is not an infringement of any copyright laws.

In regards to testing, this shroud is a combination of Volkswagen's research and development over a sixty five year period (1938-2003), and some improvements that have been adopted and proven by real enthusiasts over then last few decades.

-The velocity ring is proven to increase air speed and volume, as shown on the Fuel Injection shrouds on the 1970's. Porsche also used a similar design on the back of their 1600cc 356 and 912 engines.

-The type 4 oil cooler (originally tested by Berg) has proven to be enough to cool the oil in almost all performance applications. This oil cooler was used by VW in the larger 2000cc applications in the much heavier, less aerodynamic Type 2.

-The rest of the shroud is functionally the same as the last version produced by VW after likely several hundred thousand of man-hours of engineering. I don't think it's realistic to duplicate the work and testing they did of the 6 decades that this design was used.

I've tested a prototype of this shroud over years and thousands of miles in a bus with a high compression 2.0L type 1 engine, with many passes over mountains in 100+ degree weather with oil temps never exceeding 220 degrees. I've built the same type of shroud for dozens of others, and I know that there are hundreds of similar ones built by enthusiast who've learned that the other aftermarket options are junk, as I did. Berg wrote up a nice article here http://www.geneberg.com/article.php?ArticleID=238
and later offered his own version of the oil cooler conversion to type 4 http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=20_2830&products_id=1258

When I return from holidays I'll post up more fanshroud internal pictures from the year of research I did on this topic. I can show you why the "36hp" style are not a not a real alternative and are not compatible with heater boxes, which may not apply to your particular situation, but does apply to approx. 75% of the worldwide market.

These shrouds are also compatible with the factory thermostat flaps which are proven to increase engine life, shorten warm up times, and improve cooling to the cylinder heads.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I believe saw2 is dead-on about #4 and #7 veins. It appears you've copied the veins from the standard heater box shroud. In that shroud, #4 and #7 are important to direct air through the snorkels. With a dead-end, like you've done, unwanted turbulence will occur near the entrances that has been discovered to hurt cooling capability.

On the Type 4 cooler provision, air pressure will drop before it passes through the cooler. You opted to use the flush peanut slot, which favors a larger percentage of air going to the heads instead of the cooler than the protruding scoop. F.I. shrouds came with both styles, depending on year. I own both styles. The ones with the flush slot were to direct more cooling air to the hotter running F.I. heads. The oil cooling wasn't as big of a problem, I guess... Oh, another thing; the velocity ring possibly only has a cooling advantage in the lower RPM range. Up high, it's likely the same or close to standard.

Even if you did use the protruding slot, I doubt that would provide enough air pressure to adequately take advantage of the T4 cooler. The reason T4 cooler mods work reasonably well is because of the increased cooling area. Air passes through slower, but the cooler is wider, so it probably does the same, or close to the same work. It would've been awesome if you would've used some probes to monitor airflow at various points of the shroud in a running engine at different speeds. Then you'd know what to modify to pressurize that big cooler duct.

Aesthetically, the shroud looks nice, but I see no functional 'improvements' over German O.E.s.

was wondering the same thing too.

german thing shrouds have protruding slot, only EFI shrouds, both german and Mexican use the peanut slots.
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Converting my 1600 sp with dual relief case to doghouse cooling. Purchased the volute ring and mounted on my doghouse shroud. It fits so good even I cant screw it up. Seems to be an excellent product. My engine is all new but the non doghouse cooling had to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
I believe saw2 is dead-on about #4 and #7 veins. It appears you've copied the veins from the standard heater box shroud. In that shroud, #4 and #7 are important to direct air through the snorkels. With a dead-end, like you've done, unwanted turbulence will occur near the entrances that has been discovered to hurt cooling capability.

On the Type 4 cooler provision, air pressure will drop before it passes through the cooler. You opted to use the flush peanut slot, which favors a larger percentage of air going to the heads instead of the cooler than the protruding scoop. F.I. shrouds came with both styles, depending on year. I own both styles. The ones with the flush slot were to direct more cooling air to the hotter running F.I. heads. The oil cooling wasn't as big of a problem, I guess... Oh, another thing; the velocity ring possibly only has a cooling advantage in the lower RPM range. Up high, it's likely the same or close to standard.

Even if you did use the protruding slot, I doubt that would provide enough air pressure to adequately take advantage of the T4 cooler. The reason T4 cooler mods work reasonably well is because of the increased cooling area. Air passes through slower, but the cooler is wider, so it probably does the same, or close to the same work. It would've been awesome if you would've used some probes to monitor airflow at various points of the shroud in a running engine at different speeds. Then you'd know what to modify to pressurize that big cooler duct.

Aesthetically, the shroud looks nice, but I see no functional 'improvements' over German O.E.s.

was wondering the same thing too.

german thing shrouds have protruding slot, only EFI shrouds, both german and Mexican use the peanut slots.

EFI shrouds came both ways. Earlier ones had protruding, and later had peanut to get more air to the heads.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
EFI shrouds came both ways. Earlier ones had protruding, and later had peanut to get more air to the heads.

Actually there were only two German shrouds that used the positive air diversion scoop. 1971 Type 2 and some Thing shrouds (euro?). The FI shrouds did have two different slots, the early had the long negative scoop slot and the late peanut slot. Late Brazilian FI also had the peanut slot as mentioned above.

All aftermarket DH shrouds use the positive scoop.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

OP, there may be a market for a 71' only type 2 firewall (flywheel or front) tin. The 68-71 type 2s used a firewall tin which is taller than the type 1 variation. In 71', they started using dog house coolers, you can see this tin below. I personally am searching for two and it seems they cant be had for under $100 plus shipping. Most, including myself aren't willing to pay that and a modified type 1 tin seem to be the common practice in this application.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Just be patient and keep looking. I've recently seen several of those tins on The Samba for $20-$30.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Here's one for $38:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1864894

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

hmm I wonder how much research and developement VW did on these....and how much R&D they did on big motors Shocked
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I figured I'd start a topic here in case there was any comments or questions in regards to the shrouds we are producing.

I'm and enthusiast who was tired of the junky shrouds on the market, and wanted a realist finished solution to cutting and splicing a fuel injected fan shroud, or trying to find a good condition thing shroud.

This is the description from my ad here, let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

COOLED, a division of GDP, is proud to announce a first for the Air Cooled VW market! A properly produced, stamped, performance type 1 upright fanshroud that features several improvements over the stock VW unit.

-Smoothed face (no impression for factory oil-bath style air cleaner.
-Less holes in the face.
-Velocity ring to increase airflow to the fan and oil cooler.
-Modified for type 4 oil cooler (2 extra rows of cooling)
-Includes both exit ducts, ready for the type 4 cooler (no extra work!)
-All internal vanes and ducts are an exact duplicate of a factory late model (Mexican) shroud.

There are 2 versions of this shroud available.

-Cooled 1.1: Type 1 with heater outlets, and thermostat compatibility
-Cooled 1.2: Type 1 without heater outlets and thermostat compatibility (this is commonly referred to as the THING shroud)

These shrouds are compatible with factory thermostat, a first for an aftermarket shroud. They are also compatible with type 1 or type 4 oil coolers. Most 1776 and larger CC engines should take advantage of the extra cooling the type 4 cooler can provide. In most cases engines up to 2180cc require no additional cooler (No more messy lines and cooler!)

These shrouds are produced from 100% percent new tooling. There are 27 individual stamped pieces to a fanshroud like this, all with tooling for pressing, cutting and jigs to assemble. I spent 3 full years, with 4 failed factories before arriving at the product you see here. This should answer the question "why hasn't someone done this until now?"

Nothing like this shroud is currently on the market. There are lots of “36hp” style, which are a major disadvantage in cooling performance, even over a factory unit. There are also Fiberglass kits, which do not have a proper design for proper velocity at the intake side, and are not a true solution for the enthusiast looking for a long-term solution to cooling his properly built motor.

This is a link to the Ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1872355

I worked on this project for 3 years, and there is still more to come. I'm proud of the finished product, and I welcome any feedback.

I'll post up some pictures of the internals of both styles, so there is no guessing as to what is inside.

I hope this post is Ok with the Moderators. Just let me know if it is too much of an ad, and I'll delete it.

Thanks,

Ken

This is the internals of both styles. [url][/url]

How many have you sold? Any feedback from those buyers?

02/76 Beetle sedan
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: COOLED brand Engine fanshrouds and engine tin. Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I figured I'd start a topic here in case there was any comments or questions in regards to the shrouds we are producing.

I'm and enthusiast who was tired of the junky shrouds on the market, and wanted a realist finished solution to cutting and splicing a fuel injected fan shroud, or trying to find a good condition thing shroud.

This is the description from my ad here, let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

COOLED, a division of GDP, is proud to announce a first for the Air Cooled VW market! A properly produced, stamped, performance type 1 upright fanshroud that features several improvements over the stock VW unit.

-Smoothed face (no impression for factory oil-bath style air cleaner.
-Less holes in the face.
-Velocity ring to increase airflow to the fan and oil cooler.
-Modified for type 4 oil cooler (2 extra rows of cooling)
-Includes both exit ducts, ready for the type 4 cooler (no extra work!)
-All internal vanes and ducts are an exact duplicate of a factory late model (Mexican) shroud.

There are 2 versions of this shroud available.

-Cooled 1.1: Type 1 with heater outlets, and thermostat compatibility
-Cooled 1.2: Type 1 without heater outlets and thermostat compatibility (this is commonly referred to as the THING shroud)

These shrouds are compatible with factory thermostat, a first for an aftermarket shroud. They are also compatible with type 1 or type 4 oil coolers. Most 1776 and larger CC engines should take advantage of the extra cooling the type 4 cooler can provide. In most cases engines up to 2180cc require no additional cooler (No more messy lines and cooler!)

These shrouds are produced from 100% percent new tooling. There are 27 individual stamped pieces to a fanshroud like this, all with tooling for pressing, cutting and jigs to assemble. I spent 3 full years, with 4 failed factories before arriving at the product you see here. This should answer the question "why hasn't someone done this until now?"

Nothing like this shroud is currently on the market. There are lots of “36hp” style, which are a major disadvantage in cooling performance, even over a factory unit. There are also Fiberglass kits, which do not have a proper design for proper velocity at the intake side, and are not a true solution for the enthusiast looking for a long-term solution to cooling his properly built motor.

This is a link to the Ad http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1872355

I worked on this project for 3 years, and there is still more to come. I'm proud of the finished product, and I welcome any feedback.

I'll post up some pictures of the internals of both styles, so there is no guessing as to what is inside.

I hope this post is Ok with the Moderators. Just let me know if it is too much of an ad, and I'll delete it.

Thanks,

Ken

This is the internals of both styles. [url][/url]

Is you new shroud like which original shroud in regards to the air flow to the oil cooler? The later VW shrouds (USA injected bugs circa 1975 or 76) had smaller ports to direct the air to the cooler than the early ones. the later ones sent more air to the heads at the expense of the oil cooler. I assume VW did this to help cool the heads as smog control caused the heads to run hotter than before.

I have compared early dog house shrouds to a 1975 shroud and the ports near the fan inlet that send air to the oil cooler are smaller and louvered differently.

I selected the later type for my big 2180 as I wanted the most air possible on the heads, the oil cooler I am not so concerned about as I am running an extra oil cooler externally.

just wondering how you patterned your shrouds in this regard. note the later VW shroud I speak off came with the venture ring.

nice to see someone is filling a need in the VW world, keep up the good work.

awaiting you reply in anticipation. I plan on another motor for my Bus and would like to get the best shroud possible, the later 1075 and up shroud are very hard to find.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: