Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro power steering: do or don't?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get opinions of those who have it or don't, had it or installed it?

I have it, like it but worry that it's one more potential problem? My old air cooled vans never had them, I got around fine!

Thanks
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro power steering, do or dont? Reply with quote

I drove around a syncro and 2wd for a short while without power steering, it absolutely sucked. Offroad I really wouldn't want manual steering.
If you want to change over to manual steering you need to source a new manual rack and bigger steering wheel.
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro power steering, do or dont? Reply with quote

My syncro tintop has manual steering and it is a work out when parking or manuvering at slow speed. My 2wd Westy has power and is a pleasure to drive in comparrision. The only downside to power is when your steering rack craps out and cost big bucks. If I had a choice I would go for power. Think the Bays Windows were lighter and manual was adaquate.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro power steering, do or dont? Reply with quote

My German import Syncro is as bare bones basic as it can get (no clock and a 5 digit odo). I went from a GL with PS to no PS with the Syncro. Hard turns in a parking lot without PS requires serious muscle. The bigger diameter steering wheel doesn't help much either. The only trick is to keep moving forward for easier steering. I would like PS, but that would be another cost above an beyond the pile of $$$ I've already shoveled into it.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

PS is a good idea for a Syncro.
Not hard to install if it didn't come equipped.
Yes, it will cost $yncro though.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Do.
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

If planning on it, I'd just do it. I don't have P/S in my syncro westy and I manage just fine, including serious off roading. But maybe I'm used to it or have strong arms. I'm considering an electric P/S steering column though, because, honestly P/S is nice. But it's not happening any time soon because I have other stuff to do first...
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

It will kill your resale, absolutely do not remove it over concerns of expense. I've had two Factory Syncros that had no PS. Ive owned five Syncros with it. Power Steering is nice to have. I do fine with out it but there are those times you wish you had Power Steering. I have never wished I did not have it.
dkoesyncro I just reviewed your build, its cool. You've got the skills to handle any issues your power steering might throw at you. Are your lines rusty? If not just enjoy it.
axeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

i would say that power steering is and absolute must have. it make the whole experience of driving these old busses a pleasure rather than a chore.

living in the uk and having a rhd doka with out power steering it was always on the list of wants but rhd t3 power steering racks comarnd a high price, i do not like the idea of eps so anouther solution was sought.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the rack has the same stroke as the standard t3 ps rack so there is no loss of turning circle. it was sourced from a very popular and common car. which makes them cheap and easy to source, there is no reason why this could not be done with a lhd t3 and lhd rack if the origional ones are becoming costly and hard to source.

neil
1987 syncro westy was 1.6 jx now ej22
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Quote:
the rack has the same stroke as the standard t3 ps rack so there is no loss of turning circle. it was sourced from a very popular and common car. which makes them cheap

Are you going to tell us what car or is it a secret?
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

I would find it extremely difficult to navigate the pit at Mogfest with a beer in one hand without power steering...
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

It's difficult holding a beer with two hands while in the pit at mogfest!

I have PS , I'm wrestling the fuel tank and noticed all the parts in the way and just got caught up on the thought. My lines are good.

Axeman, I'd like to know what PS rack you've found that works?

Bavarian wrench, thanks for the compliment.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Years ago I converted an '88 sinka syncro from manual to power and never looked back. I was especially glad to get rid of that larger steering wheel.

I did drive a friends doka with M/S though and it was easier than mine was before conver.

But I simply don't rec. going to manual until such time as the power gives out and you can't find or afford a replacement.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

A big +1 on power steering for a Syncro, drove a Tintop around for a couple months and ended up dropping the drive shaft until I had a buyer.

They are a bit of a pig around town without power steering
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Well I've got to dissent from the majority. My '81 Westy did not have power steering and it took a lot of brute strength to turn. My '89 16" Westy syncro also lacks power steering yet is quite easy to manuever, go figure.

The syncro is very heavy beast, I never crawl under it without 3 jack points supporting it, but it turns so much easier than the old '81. So I'd never consider adding power steering, one more thing to break.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

I'm with you, man. I've owned four of these guys, and my syncro is the first with MS.
I don't miss it.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

My first van had manual so I thought I could always go back no problem.
When my p/s belt snapped on the trail and I went from power to manual instantly I missed it right away!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
My first van had manual so I thought I could always go back no problem.
When my p/s belt snapped on the trail and I went from power to manual instantly I missed it right away!

The ratio inside the power rack is different and significantly harder to turn with no assist than a manual rack. You want to steer something hard, try a Mk5 jetta with no electric assist! It's like steering bags of concrete...
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Well I've got to dissent from the majority. My '81 Westy did not have power steering and it took a lot of brute strength to turn. My '89 16" Westy syncro also lacks power steering yet is quite easy to manuever, go figure.

The syncro is very heavy beast, I never crawl under it without 3 jack points supporting it, but it turns so much easier than the old '81. So I'd never consider adding power steering, one more thing to break.

Something is not right then. I had an 81 with manual steering and it was not a problem...and I don't exactly have gorilla-like biceps.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro power steering: do or don't? Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

Having owned that 16" rig, I have to agree that driving it never felt like a chore, however I've also owned a 14" Syncro Doka without p/s and two with (Syncro Tristar and 14"Syncro Westy) and I would definitely keep the p/s.
The Syncro Tristar was by far the more fun with p/s. It felt really light and sporty compared to the non-p/s Doka.
One other consideration is a decoupler. If you don't have p/s (and if the VC is aggressive) decoupling sure makes it easier to park.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: