Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Figuring out correct size differential shims.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweak some more...this is why using the old shim dimensions as a baseline is bad,you have to set and measure...

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5717.PDF
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced that this is as good as I'm gonna get with this set. I have spend several hours tweaking in every direction possible and it's still not to my liking. What you see there is with NO shims on the pinion so it's as far out as it will go...unless I shave the thrust washer down and that aint gonna happen.

As an experiment, I removed the dowel pin for the rear pinion bearing out of the case and slid the whole assembly away from the ring gear just a hair and got a beautiful pattern...but like I said, I have no more shims to remove from the pinion so......

I bought another NOS set today so maybe next week, when i have another chance to work on it, I'll have better luck.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your pinion bearing full seated?if its not seated against the base of the gear it will do that.Stick with it, that pattern has to be correct for low noise and long life...
dugsgms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me that the pinion needs to be pulled away from the ring gear a bit. Truthfully that isn't too bad of a pattern, you're getting close, keep in mind that under a load the gears want to walk away from each other especially in a relatively weak case like a VW transaxle. At this point all you can do is keep trying, make big shim changes as small ones will only help to make it more confusing but I think you're on the right track, keep it up.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duginabug wrote:
Okay I have some pictures to help/confuse the situation.
I hope you guys can decipher all those numbers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New R&P set

And this is why I changed them in the first place.

Can someone explain what the backlash would be on the gear set shown here? How close to the original backlash should it be?

I am having a hell of a time reading the backlash on my ring gear.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct size differential shims. Reply with quote

Backlash is measured with a dial indicator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct size differential shims. Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Backlash is measured with a dial indicator.

I am using the factory splitcase transmission tool with dial indicator.

I was asking about the gear above b/c I could not read the backlash numbers on them either.

I am having a hard time reading what the number etched into my gear; it is written so sloppy. I THINK the backlash reads 0.25, but can't say for sure.

There is -.05 etched on the gear as well, and I am thinking that would mean backlash could be + or - .05 from the 0.25, right?

I have flipped the ring gear and am trying to get the backlash where it needs to be. When the shims were in the original position the backlash read .63; I swapped them and it now reads .35

Any help appreciated as I would like to get this thing back together an d back in my bus!

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct size differential shims. Reply with quote

The backlash is not engraved on the gears. You measure the backlash and set it to the spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Figuring out correct size differential shims. Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The backlash is not engraved on the gears. You measure the backlash and set it to the spec.
I can not find a spec. for the backlash for a splitcase transmission.

In the Bently it says "Departures from the normal position and the correct backlash (Sp) are measured and written on the drive pinion or ring gear respectively.
In the diagran they show letter z representing the backlash engraved on the ring gear. I could find a backlash spec. for a splitcase. I did find a spec. for later tunnel mount transmission.

Bruce, can you give me a spec. I should set the backlash to for a splitcase transmission?

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: