Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjlove10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Hey ya'll.
Maybe I can get some ideas here. Last night I drive my car around the block, like I do every couple of days. While driving, it shut off. Both the Alt and Oil lights went on at the same time, then it turned off. I coasted it to the side of the road. After that I didn't have any electrical. Nothing. Didn't start either. No click or turnover. Just: DEAD. Any ideas? I had it towed home. Heh...

Thanks!
Aaron
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

NO lights either?

First I would check battery and ground cables at battery, be sure they are clean and tight... Also check other ends of cables at chassis connection and starter solenoid.... If all good there check 12 power connection at voltage regulator connections at B+ terminal, if good there check the connections on back of light switch (terminals 30) then to fuse panel...

Simple tool like test light will help find (or not find) the 12 volts and where you are losing it.... Also knowledge of wiring diagram and having one for your year model will help...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
pjlove10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

I will try these steps. Yes, no lights at all. Just dead. Thank you so much!

Aaron
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Source battery 12v ----> ground terminal loose ---->fuses

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Mostly not the battery but would be a good idea to check the battery with a meter and see if it is at least 12v. I have seen batteries go in a zillion ways.

It could have shorted internally. once tried jumping one and had to remove the battery and go from another car to the cables not attached to the battery. It started. Had to get a new battery, not a good idea to run it without the battery load. if it is ok and the battery ground is good you can run a wire from the + side of the battery to the 12v side of the coil. The dash should light up and you should be able to start the car. You just by passed the key switch etc. May be the key switch.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

I've lost all power before, check your regulator. there will be (2) big red wires going to the same terminal, one goes to the battery, and the other feeds the car. If one of those came off, then no power. I've had the terminals get old and corroded to where they would break and fall apart.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Driving the car around the block? Take your oil cap off and look at it. If it looks like a chocolate milk shake, you are loading your crankcase with water. Same with your exhaust. You need to drive it long enough to cook the water out of it. Short hops are murder on it.

See - your car was trying to tell you something...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Keeping up with the corrosion on my car is bitch. I is usually at the point of connection. Also were the wire goes into the connector or were the connector is crimped to the wire. sometimes you can just pull the wire and the connector will stay connected and the wire will fall out.

I had to rewire my tail lights.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

If mine - I'd check and re-do any bad wire connections.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Car shut off while driving. Wont start. No electrical. Reply with quote

Clean any problem connection well and/or replace any bad connectors and protect from corrosion with dielectric grease....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: