Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil cooler leaking
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

I'm having a problem keeping oil coolers. I am on my 2nd cooler cuz they blow out. I'm not sure if these are just crap coolers or what.
Do they still make OEM VW coolers?
The aftermarket one blow out.

I'm running a 26mm Shadek pump
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

what weight oil and are the pressure relief pistons and bores in good condition? Do you an oil press gauge, if you do what pressures are you seeing?
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

By "aftermarket" do you mean a cooler mounted in a different location, or mounted in the stock location? Do you run an oil filter?
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

I'm using 20-50 VR1 and the pressure is 60psi cold and 40psi hot.
The OPRV I haven't checked yet but it's a new case and am using the stock pistons and springs.
I am running an oil pressure gauge.

I guess what I am asking is are the oil coolers they sell these days all aftremarkets or can I get a genuine VW part?
Silicon bronze sleeves
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

I mean the stock dog house cooler. Are they all aftermarket or can I source a genuine VW cooler some where?
I'll call the dealership tomorrow to see if they have one.
Silicon bronze sleeves
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

Try some 10W-30 oil.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

VW doesn't make anything for these cars anymore. And a lighter weight oil would sure reduce system internal pressure spikes and might even help it run cooler.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

I agree on using a thinner oil. You might look on the Berg site for a stock cooler.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

Aircooled.net has them.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Doghouse-1971-Upright-Engines-p/113-117-021.htm
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
Aircooled.net has them.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Doghouse-1971-Upright-Engines-p/113-117-021.htm

That is not an OEM cooler you have linked too above, and for the price for an aftermarket one you can do a lot better....

aircooled.net = $70

AutoHaus AZ = $65

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=...l%20Cooler

Texas Aircooled = $49

http://www.texasaircooled.com/catalog/Doghouse-Style-Oil-Cooler.html

German Supply.com = $43

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17691

Even an aftermarket cooler should not be failing like this unless something is really wrong. 2 for 2 is a bad run, if it was a batch of bad coolers, you would likely not be the only one experiencing this. have you contacted the seller about this problem?

where is the leak occurring? (photo would be very helpful)

You can pressure test the cooler prior to install, not hard to do.

If your gage is accurate, the pressure you have should not be blowing out coolers.

Is it possible cooler was damaged prior to running the motor?

Although 20W-50 oil is on the thick end that should not be blowing coolers, I have run 20W-50 on dog house and standard VW engines with no problems, be it in snow or desert heat.

what vendor did you get these two failed coolers from?

are they brand new or used?

A stuck control valve could cause a huge pressure spike, but if your gage is hooked up to the stock oil sender location, it should register that pressure spike, however if you have a fully mechanical gage, with a long run of small diameter tubing to the gage, you may be seeing a false low pressure readout. if the gage is an electrical one with sender, then your likely seeing the actual pressure.

So is the gage you are using an electrical one or a mechanical one with a long run of narrow diameter tubing? If a mechanical one with a long thin run of oil tubing, then you may still have an oil control valve issue, (ie pressure spike) but you cant see it because the gages long run of tubing is causing a drop in pressure to the gage.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

It's a mechanical gauge. And it's run off the stock location plus I have the idiot light still hooked up.
Bugformance gave me a new one.
I'll put it together tomorrow and check the gauge against another gauge.
Could just be a run of bad luck.
I'll check the OPRV's too.
Silicon bronze sleeves
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

damicotile wrote:
It's a mechanical gauge. And it's run off the stock location plus I have the idiot light still hooked up.
Bugformance gave me a new one.
I'll put it together tomorrow and check the gauge against another gauge.
Could just be a run of bad luck.
I'll check the OPRV's too.

hers the thing with the gage with a long run of thin tubing. the cold oil in the tubing will offer a lot of resistance to flow and thus you wont get an accurate pressure reading, it will be very slow to respond, so if you have a pressure spike, say on a ice cold day, and you rev the motor with thick cold oil, you may never see that the pressure spikes to say 180 psi (say because the pressure control valve is stuck for example).

I have one Bug that has a 1/8 inch tube (outside diameter) all the way up to a dash gage, it is supper slow to respond, and it will miss a pressure spike that is quick, heck it holds pressure for a long time after engine is shut down! also in hard cornering when the oil can slosh to one side of the sump leaving the pick up tube sucking air, this gage set up will not always show the sudden drop in pressure, before the oil is sloshed back tot eh pick up tube. On my other car the gage is electric and can sense even brief drops (or spikes) in pressure, if my oil level is a little low and I corner or brake hard this gage will alert me to that.

Thus is you run a mechanical gage all the way up to the dash form the rear of car,you need a fairly fat tubing, 1/4 inch or such. you can get way with a thinner tube if the length is short like on a front engine car to dash, but our engines are all the way in back.

at anyrate, check your relief springs and piston clearance on both valves, if either one sticks along with thick cold oil and a reving motor even a good cooler could be blown out.

if you don't care to install a fat oil line or convert to an electric gage, you could as temporary measure install a mechanical gage right on the block at the oil pressure sender port and test the pressure, cold motor, reving with thick oil, if you see a pressure spike, find out why. don't bandaid a stuck relief valve with thin oil , find out for sure if the two relief valves are working right.

Good Luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

Is that the pressure at idle?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

Also the cooler can be damaged if it is not correctly installed, make sure torque specification is followed when installing, or is incorrectly cooling shrouds was allowed to rub on the cooler and wear thru. not saying that is the cause but something to keep in mind.

can you describe where the leak occurred on the cooler?

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

damicotile wrote:
I'm using 20-50 VR1 and the pressure is 60psi cold and 40psi hot.

This is your problem. You shouldn't be using that tar, it causes excessive oil pressure, and high oil pressure is bad. Try any xW-30 oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler leaking Reply with quote

i have it all together and running. The OPRV's are all nice and free. I put in 10/30 VR-1 and the pressure dropped to 55cold.
I built this car for my son and he has been maintaining it.
I didn't,t know he was using such a thick brew.
It's running now and time will tell. Thank for all the help.
Guido
Silicon bronze sleeves
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: