Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TFT: Thing Forum Triad
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: TFT: Thing Forum Triad Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for all of your inputs from my questions concerning VW Things from my absolute ground zero experience.

I have been going back and forth and up and down examining the discussions at the primary forums (that I'm aware of) concerning VW Things.
I know there are cross-forum readers and posters at each site......

Why don't all you Thingers who really want to know something specific about your particular problems, post to all of the forums???
More input....more output.
That's the way I view it.
But, I have the sense that this information (other sites) may not be generally known.

Let's strive for more readers and cross forum discusion.....the more posters and readers, the more specific the answers, the greater the chances of problem solving.
It just seems to me....and I don't pretend to know much.....there's a triad of systems of information operating independently of each other....and
....if Thing owners/mechanics are really aware and engaged as readers of the forum triad, and were member/users of all the forums.....it would solve lots of questions and problems for everyone.
Anyone out there pretend to know everything about these vehicles?
Certainly not me.

Join up......read....be heard.....and fix YOUR Thing!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=32

http://lists.topica.com/lists/things/read?sort=d&start=30335

Regards.
ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones and keifernet,

Could we possibly make this a sticky? (at least the part about other information sources)

Thanks yall-
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: TFT: Thing Forum Triad Reply with quote

Thanks Pinky,

I believe this is more than just a Sticky....I think it's a BILLBOARD on any Interstate highway.
All Thingers Join All Forums!
ATJAF.
Gotta know , wanna know?

you have no excuses now....none.
Get on board.

Regards
ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: TFT: Thing Forum Triad Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
. . . Why don't all you Thingers who really want to know something specific about your particular problems, post to all of the forums??? More input....more output. That's the way I view it.
. . .

Hi ztnoo. I have thought in these terms myself. It does raise some interesting logistical issues though. For example, when I see that you've posted a question in all three forums, and I have a reply, should I feel obligated to reply in all three as well? After all, it is a technical forum, and the answer to your question is not just for you, but for everybody with the same question.

I know that this is going to sound very cold and anti-social, but if the purpose of a forum is to be a centralized source of information, then rather than invite everyone to post at all three forums, it might be better to pick the strongest of the three, and then invite posters in other forums to post there. Posting to three forums serves to de-centralize the information, because now one has to search three places for the answer to one question. If we could get everyone posting to the same forum, it would be much more lively.

Also, I've found the character of the three forums to be quite different. If I need a question answered quickly, I'll post here first. The ShopTalk Thing forum moves at an almost glacial pace, and while good information can be had there, you'd better not hold your breath if you post a question. Many questions go unanswered. On this forum, almost all questions are answered. I'm more likely to search ShopTalk for answers than I am to ask a question directly. Not trying to bash ShopTalk. Just calling them as I see them.

That said, let me stress how grateful I am that these resources exist, and how thankful I am for the input of all the members of all three forums.

— Spalding
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spalding. My first stop is The Samba. Then later I might go to shop talk (if it is up). It is (to me) a bit irritating to peruse the two forums and find the same question from the same person. Like the Captain, if I have knowledge about the procedure, I feel compelled to respond at both sites. Sorry, ztnoo, I've been on here three years and it works just fine for me. Cool
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to be like everybody else, I wouldn't drive a Thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: TFT: Thing Forum Triad Reply with quote

Gentlemen and fellow Thing aficionados,

I'm sorry but I don't have a life or death affection, or loyalty, to any forum.
I fully understand what all of you are saying about the peculiarities of each of the three Thing forums, and I basically agree they each have their own personality and mindset.
That works for me........'cause I don't care what the ambiance is at each of the Three Major Thing Forums.
I'm only seeking answers to my dumb, inexperienced, green horn, novice questions.
I just just bet there are lots of other guys scratching their heads out there saying......."what about this? what's going on here? wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem?"
The first problem is knowing where to go.....the second problem is will this forum answer my question?
Roll the dice.....
My theory: spread the load to a wider base and the weight will be supported......i.e. ask questions in more places to increase the chances of a correct and knowledgeable answer.

I started from ground zero about two months ago dealing with three Things I don't own, but I'm determined to get running one way or another for two very dear friends of mine....two brothers I've known since my childhood.
I'll tell all of you..."childhood" was five decades ago for me.
I'm not a young buck, but I'm intelligent, inquisitive, observant, mechanically inclined, and a tireless obsessive/compulsive male that will chase a problem until it is solved.
If that means asking questions of relevant and urgent importance to me and the situation in which I find myself, to all three Thing forums, I have no reservations about doing so....none.
I sense from my experience thus far, the answers do come....readily and fairly quickly.

My bell housing sensor question was answered in less than thirty minutes two nights ago.....and not by anyone posting on this forum.

Forum structure and decorum mean little to me in my situation.
I'm chasing answers daily......and I don't care where the answers come from....I only care they do come, because of hopefully intelligent and provocative questions posted by me.

Sorry I'm not a forum purist.

Thanks to all again for replying to my posts.

Regards,
ztnoo
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: TFT: Thing Forum Triad Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Gentlemen and fellow Thing aficionados,

I'm sorry but I don't have a life or death affection, or loyalty, to any forum.

Hi ztnoo,

I didn't mean to imply that I have any allegiance to any particular forum, or to malign the community spirit that you displayed when you shared the links to the three Thing-related forums. Rather, I recognize and appreciate your generosity and public-mindedness.

Quote:
My theory: spread the load to a wider base and the weight will be supported......i.e. ask questions in more places to increase the chances of a correct and knowledgeable answer.

My thought was that if you had the readership of all three forums reading one forum, you could get answers to questions from the same knowledge base without having to "forum hop." Merely a matter of centralizing information for the sake of convenience, and not a bid to make one forum mightier or more prestigious than the others.

Quote:
I sense from my experience thus far, the answers do come....readily and fairly quickly. My bell housing sensor question was answered in less than thirty minutes two nights ago.....and not by anyone posting on this forum.

OTOH, your "Forum Triad" and "Things in Hoosierland" posts remain unanswered on the ShopTalk forum. Not taking a shot at ShopTalk. Just making an observation. As far as the speed of the reply, I agree that a response time of a half hour is fast, but that's an anomaly on any of these Thing forums. I'm a member of some other non-Thing forums in which I can routinely post a question, go refill my coffee cup, and come back to a reply or two. I guess it's all a question of what you're used to. Based on my experience, this forum is sleepy. ShopTalk is comatose. Again, that's not to say that I am not thankful for the resource and the generosity of all the forum members who take the time to share their knowledge, experience, and wit. I am very grateful.

Quote:
Sorry I'm not a forum purist.

Glad to hear it. Me neither.

Quote:
Thanks to all again for replying to my posts.

Your welcome. Thanks for your interesting and infomative posts. They promote a lively exchange of information and are of great benefit to the community.

— Spalding
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: