Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of Vanagon without engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Vanagon. 82 turbodiesel that needs a total rebuild. Question is whether the body without the engine has any value & approximately what. No dents, paint is nice, interior is ok but dirty, seats are all ok. I'm debating whether to pull the engine, rebuild it & put it in a Jetta. My understanding is that most people end up swapping out the 1.6s anyway. I don't know if there's any demand or not for these Vanagons.

Also somebody mentioned that the turbocharger itself was worth more than the van? Am I reading that correctly?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

A van that is capable of being driven away is much more valuable than one without an engine. There are some that will buy it as is, but they are going to low ball you because they will be using it for spares or to fix and flip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Whereabouts in Oly are you?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

If you're going to pull the engine, re-seal it and put it in a Jetta why not just pull the engine, re-seal it and put it back in the van?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

I'm continually looking for my next Westy and I'm looking for solid unit with a blown engine since I'd replace the engine with a subi (or maybe a modern diesel conversion on the net one). So I'm looking for a discount from a running van since its not running but it would be worth more than $500 to me if all else is solid. the dirt may knock a bit off of the final price but I figure I'd have to clean anything anyway.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

and the non-running is not an issue for delivery since if it was withing 200 miles I'd use my AAA towing or if father I would either have it shipped to tow it myself.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

82 with no motor?

$100.00
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
and the non-running is not an issue for delivery since if it was withing 200 miles I'd use my AAA towing or if father I would either have it shipped to tow it my shelf.

It has to have a current plate on it for AAA to tow it for free, they will tow one without a plate for a member and charge them the commercial rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Put it on ebay no reserve. I too am always looking for solid vanagons with major problems hoping to pickup at a discount vs a running one. Depending on condition, I'd say between Terry's offer and $1200 depending on the condition of everything else. I have seen non running campers sell on ebay for $4000. There is a market out there.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

yes there is a demand for those. some people really wants to have a diesel and this represents a good opportunity to install the engine of their choice.

If the turbo really has value, I would leave it with the van and sell everything as a package on Ebay. Don't even remove anything from it, just sell as is with broken engine. (You may want to clean the inside though).

You may be surprised how much you will get.

It is going to be a lot more than $100, I am willing to bet money on it. My guess would be between $800 to $1500
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Break it down and part it out- bet you get more than everything else mentioned.
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

spacecadet wrote:

Not a very good advice I am afraid. 82 have very few parts that are in demand. It is extremely unlikely that you will make as much as if you sell as whole and you will be destroying another Vanagon in the process.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Agree - keep it together unless you are an experienced parts breaker. By the time you do the labor and disassemble, package and ship, you may wish you'd just gotten a single check and be done with it. Advertise it as a winter project and see what happens. You can always change your mind and part it, but once a few missing bits are gone, you can't change your mind and keep it whole.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Pop Top or not? 82 tintop will not fetch much.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

Not a very good advice I am afraid. 82 have very few parts that are in demand. It is extremely unlikely that you will make as much as if you sell as whole and you will be destroying another Vanagon in the process.

All the body panels, lights, doors, hinges, suspension parts, etc etc etc.

The OP is looking at it's weight in dirty scrap at this point, might as well help a bunch of other vanagon owners and make more loot at the same time.

So it's not destroying and it's not unlikely.

EDIT: Not only all that, but they implied the ability to pull the motor and swap it into a jetta- breaking down a van is not much harder...
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

spacecadet wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:
spacecadet wrote:

All the body panels, lights, doors, hinges, suspension parts, etc etc etc.

The OP is looking at it's weight in dirty scrap at this point, might as well help a bunch of other vanagon owners and make more loot at the same time.

So it's not destroying and it's not unlikely.

EDIT: Not only all that, but they implied the ability to pull the motor and swap it into a jetta- breaking down a van is not much harder...

The problem is not so much with breaking it apart although that does take a bit more work that we usually account for.

It is with storing, selling and shipping the parts.

There is no much demand for a front passenger door or 15 in steel wheels or side windows....it takes months and months to unload parts unless you have something very exclusive like power mirrors or south african grill - which I doubt this van has. You have to store those parts somewhere. Then you have to pack them and ship them. Factor all those hours in your calculation.

I am giving away good free parts to BusLab every week because no one wants them.

Not worth it in my opinion and experience.

At least, try Ebay or TheSamba first before you go that route.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

In the Seattle area (Olympia included) Vanagons are enthusiastically in demand. If the body really is straight and original on yours, you should have no trouble finding a buyer for the rolling shell.

I would clean it up and put it on Craigslist for $1200. I think you'll find a taker for somewhere in that price range.

Dave
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

Frankly, going through forums like this and with a bit of experience in car work although not tons of it specifically on Vanagons, it seems to me that in general, most of us are much more able to deal with engine/mechanical work, electrical and interior work, than to take care of body work and paint, which requires much different setups and conditions of work, to do at least a decent job.

So, going against the flow, for me a nice straight body with no dents and a nice paint has more value than a working engine, as used working engines can be bought and installed much more easily than dealing with body work. In addition, most of the time your working engine will end up requiring work and refurbishing soon after purchase, because you'll want to make sure it's in top shape and ready to work.

Anyway, that's my thinking and I have trouble agreeing with those who seem to think this is worthless.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of Vanagon without engine Reply with quote

I guess a vanagon Diesel without an engine has some value he in California. The would be buyer will put in any engine he wants a free of smog check for life...

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: