Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

OLD...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NEW...

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott's '63 23 wrote:
LittleThunder wrote:
I reglued the hinges with the glue supplied to me by CE. I called them about the problem and the aircraft epoxy they use was at my door in 4 days. I glued them per the instructions and it's holding up nicely. He explained to me that they had one bad batch from a couple of years ago that didn't cure properly due to the cold weather over there in the winter. Since then they haven't had any failures. You're best bet would be to give Dave at CE a call and talk to him about your best option. Personally though, I don't have any problem with the glued hinges.

I moved this to the Safari thread after starting it in the Split Bus forum:

My CE safari hinge popped just like Little Thunder's. Contacted CE and they are sending me some of their epoxy to reattach. Thanks for everyone's help.

The photo below shows the hinge plate popped up off the frame:

Well here it is 2015, after regluing the hinges on my Creative Safaris with the special epoxy supplied by them, the driver side window has let go again. Went to my shelf to check the epoxy and it's gone off, unusable.....natch.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleThunder wrote:
Scott's '63 23 wrote:
LittleThunder wrote:
I reglued the hinges with the glue supplied to me by CE. I called them about the problem and the aircraft epoxy they use was at my door in 4 days. I glued them per the instructions and it's holding up nicely. He explained to me that they had one bad batch from a couple of years ago that didn't cure properly due to the cold weather over there in the winter. Since then they haven't had any failures. You're best bet would be to give Dave at CE a call and talk to him about your best option. Personally though, I don't have any problem with the glued hinges.

I moved this to the Safari thread after starting it in the Split Bus forum:

My CE safari hinge popped just like Little Thunder's. Contacted CE and they are sending me some of their epoxy to reattach. Thanks for everyone's help.

The photo below shows the hinge plate popped up off the frame:

Well here it is 2015, after regluing the hinges on my Creative Safaris with the special epoxy supplied by them, the driver side window has let go again. Went to my shelf to check the epoxy and it's gone off, unusable.....natch.

I've read on a different forum that CE safari hinges are now welded. Can anyone confirm this?
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I had my CE safari's screwed and glued. I filled the screw holes with epoxy... 12 years ago... all holding well. You can't tell screws are there.

My frame is aluminum with a stainless hinge. I'm not sure how thy would weld that combo.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I'll try this one more time... I went through the thread and found it mostly covers issues with the body to frame seal. My WGI frames had rubber seals with black RTV in them when I took them apart for paint. I purchased WW frame to window seals and when I assembled them... the seal including the lip that supposed to sit at the edge of the frame, went into the frame.

Any suggestions other than fill the frame with black body sealer before building them up?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Any suggestions other than fill the frame with black body sealer before building them up?

Back in the old days glass guys would set hot rod glass etc with layers of butyl rubber tape. Glass shops still sell it as well as online. You can get it in various thicknesses and widths. Any overlap will easily trim with a razor blade.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Nice! I have a feeling this is the route I'll take.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mokie dokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Front Safari window has detached from upper continuous hinge. Is this a home fix or do I need to it send out? "how to'" and tips deeply appreciated. I searched for a thread, so I apologize if this has been previously answered.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Is it like the picture 5 posts above yours?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mokie dokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I need advice re reattaching a front Safari window that has detached from the
the upper hinge. It appears to have been spot welded and over time has failed. How do I reattach it? If I take it to a welder are there any precautions to take before rewelding the window hinge to the top hinge that is still affixed to the body?.

thank you..
Mokie Dokie
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

mokie dokie wrote:
I need advice re reattaching a front Safari window that has detached from the
the upper hinge. It appears to have been spot welded and over time has failed. How do I reattach it? If I take it to a welder are there any precautions to take before rewelding the window hinge to the top hinge that is still affixed to the body?.

thank you..
Mokie Dokie

As long as you disassemble them before you take to the welder, shouldn't be any issues other than repainting it.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I just installed a newly purchased set of CE safaris and it looks as they have made changes due to the glued and screwed parts popping off.
This set has short beads of some type of weld on both sides of the hinges. Im guessing brazing or soldering.

also, the weld in brackets for the sliders Shocked
The center one, I dont know how anyone can make this work and be pleased with it. luckily I have an original and I was able to modify the CE one to match. Way off! The outers were okay though.

They are "one size fits all" so for the early bus these went into, theyre a bit close to the bottom edge. I wanted to use my repro dash tabs for the bus but because they are too close I was forced to just use the supplied dish cut tabs.

And the usual use of nuts and bolts and plastic washers rather than a more correct rivet for the sliders. I dont care for that .

Other than that I kinda like the CE set up. The frames I feel are a decent match to original profile. Some of the other things can be modified or changed out.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I had bought some repro 55-64 pivots from a samba member & thought they were a little sloppy. In the video... see how the metal is thinner and how the repro sags when I start to depress the shaft. The reproductions I had were missing a stabilizing pin that keeps them operating tightly & wearing out prematurely due to sloppy fit.

Link

See vertical pin & corresponding hole, down at the lower part.

I missed this video somehow.
I have not been happy with the repro wiper pivots since they were installed.
Major slop with the arm movements left-to-right.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
easy e wrote:
I had bought some repro 55-64 pivots from a samba member & thought they were a little sloppy. In the video... see how the metal is thinner and how the repro sags when I start to depress the shaft. The reproductions I had were missing a stabilizing pin that keeps them operating tightly & wearing out prematurely due to sloppy fit.

Link

See vertical pin & corresponding hole, down at the lower part.

I missed this video somehow.
I have not been happy with the repro wiper pivots since they were installed.
Major slop with the arm movements left-to-right.

I bought a set from CIP and felt the same way. Absolute garbage. It was $100 down the drain. I don't know who made them but they sucked. Are all the repros made by the same company or are there variations?
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I bought mine from Ronny, they appear to be the same as the reproductions in that video, they were so tight they wouldn't disengage. I completely disassembled them and filed down the area where they engage, it was a big PITA, but they work fine now, and better than being too sloppy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I had a buddy with CE's and he had them powder coated. Big no no. It melts the glue they used. We repaired them with JB weld, the two part tube kind. Clamped them and installed the next day. The hinge is now the strongest part of the set up.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for latches for my late OG safaris. I have seen a few different ads that claim they are the best. And high quality. I don't want to end up with total junk
Can someone give me some feedback on latches they have purchased recently?
Thanks, mike
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

EIS and CE have the correct latch profile.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Ive always suggested CE as having nice latches until they were installed on original frames. The screw holes, as well as the whole unit, all seems to be just a hair smaller in casting than original. The holes didnt line up with original threaded plates. So the bases had to get a little filing out to make things mount. Not a huge deal but unfortunate. They are also stainless which is kinda nice. The actual movement of them is hit or miss. Some of them move freely, some a little slop, some are snug. Not bad altogether though.

Ive been curious on the EIS ones. I noticed they have 2 versions offered. One junky looking style then another "new" version they claim is exact. The 1 crappy photo looks the part but I would like to see more. I have been tempted to buy a set just out of curiosity but dont really have the need or spare cash to gamble for now.
anyone have any pics and reviews on the EIS latches?

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I saw those eis latches and was hoping someone had some good feedback on them.
I'm headed down there to pick up the glass anyway. It would make it easy.
I already ordered buttybits seals which look really nice.
Thanks for the suggestions
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 62

Jump to: