Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

I've put a few of these back in buses , but I'm going to take one out. Whats the cleanest way to do this? I want to route the heat up front, any one have pics of how they did this/

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Certainly not the way VW did it in original kombis. The Y tubes are quite a bit smaller in cross section than the main heater tube running to the front. An old furnace guy I knew said you NEVER put larger ductwork after a reduction in cross section in a forced hot air system.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Certainly not the way VW did it in original kombis. The Y tubes are quite a bit smaller in cross section than the main heater tube running to the front. An old furnace guy I knew said you NEVER put larger ductwork after a reduction in cross section in a forced hot air system.

If you add the two small tubes together are they bigger than the one running down the middle?
life long VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Hey DonQ, I'd be interested in the one you are removing. Mine's gone. Let me know. No hurry. thanks
66 21 wndo deluxe microbus
59 bug
63 kombi w/ SO-22 westy
66 squareback
59 logoed standard bus Orangevale Baptist Church
58 PG/SG sunroof /safari standard
94 golf
2013 Bettle TDI (cheater)
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

I took one out, once. I was saving the log. The bus floor ends up pretty mangled.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
I took one out, once. I was saving the log. The bus floor ends up pretty mangled.

This is a kombi heater y-pipe. You will need to source a left side tube. You should have a plug in the y-section that needs to be removed in order to insert pipe.

This is the view from behind.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by brettsvw on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

I ran the heat from both sides up front in my standard. I just knocked the cap off the Y at the back and ran flexible exhaust pipe from the heater box to the Y, and wrapped it with insulation. I can grab a pic in a bit. It looks like a low point but its not, and have had no problems, even on rough off road...

I still have the heater log wrapped with a plastic bag and taped off under my rear seat, but should cap the pipe to it... Of course it doesn't look even close to stock underneath, and its hidden by my rear seat/bed inside, but I don't care, and it works well...
'69 Bug
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
j.pickens wrote:

If you add the two small tubes together are they bigger than the one running down the middle?

Not if you measure their crossection at their narrowest point where they squish between the torsion tube and the rear floor.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

I don't really get the idea of converting to all heat up front. Under you will be rocking a cab divider. Yes there will be quicker window defogging, but you don't actually get more heat into the bus. Actually, probably you get less heat, as the air cools as it runs through the tube under the bus.
In the kombi I get a cool draft at the back of my neck that I don't get in the deluxe.

If your bus is drafty I guess you don't feel the heat from the back as much, but it seems a bit of a hassle. Anyway, just some thoughts. carry on.

hm, maybe you use your bus like I use the kombi and often have the entire back packed with stuff so the heat doesn't flow into where people are.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I don't really get the idea of converting to all heat up front. Under you will be rocking a cab divider. Yes there will be quicker window defogging, but you don't actually get more heat into the bus. Actually, probably you get less heat, as the air cools as it runs through the tube under the bus.
In the kombi I get a cool draft at the back of my neck that I don't get in the deluxe.

If your bus is drafty I guess you don't feel the heat from the back as much, but it seems a bit of a hassle. Anyway, just some thoughts. carry on.

hm, maybe you use your bus like I use the kombi and often have the entire back packed with stuff so the heat doesn't flow into where people are.

true,true. I'm putting an so42 kit in to a 67 standard, so thats the motivation. I can probably just remove the little pieces that attach the log to the cargo floor and slip the z bed under it ( don't want to hack bottom of z bed ). but more importantly, I usually care a LOT more about defrost than heat. And most of the time, its just two passengers in my bus ( up front ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
Clara wrote:

true,true. I'm putting an so42 kit in to a 67 standard, so thats the motivation. I can probably just remove the little pieces that attach the log to the cargo floor and slip the z bed under it ( don't want to hack bottom of z bed ). but more importantly, I usually care a LOT more about defrost than heat. And most of the time, its just two passengers in my bus ( up front ).

Basically same here. I put a camper kit in my bus too, although my z-bed was already hacked for the heater log. I also keep a bunch of tools and parts under the seat. I did notice a big improvement when I did mine. And until I get to replacing my front floor which is basically a large fresh air vent, I need all the heat I can get up front. Razz
'69 Bug
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

I put a westy bed in the back of my 61 deluxe.
I cut a hole in the bottom of the bed and left the door off.
One bonus feature of this is that when I drive to the campsite with the heat on, the bed is pre-warmed. Very Happy

I guess if you don't want to hack the board at the bottom of the bed, I would slit the supports and slid it in.

The 61 deluxe does not have as much defog as the 66 kombi (smaller heat tube, half heat to the front) but it still defogs.
Seems my buses have a certain amount of perforations to let the heat out, except the 56 westy. It is amazing how the heat is better without drafts. Plus the gas heater really eliminated the cold draft from the back when the bus was perforated.

You could rivet patches on the front floor till you get around to doing it right. Wink

A PO did this to my kombi:

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Sounds like you are basically wanting to take the bus configuration and convert to a single cab configuration since there is no heat routed to the fuel tank/treasure chest area.

I have my original crusty heater Y pipe and if you pay for shipping I can send it to you as a template. I paid a shop about $55 to do the bends for me.

Basically what I did was use a brand new Alan Schofield small Y intersection and then I had a local repair shop bend exhaust tubing to the same parameters, and it fit and looks the part, since no one reproduces this section.

Here is the rusty original Y next to the new small Y intersection from Alan Schofield

And here is the pipe the shop made. Its not perfect but it fit nicely and does the trick once tacked in place.

I cut a nice square access area out to allow room to fit the pipe, which is what you will need to do since your floor is already in place. I cut around the corrugation to make the butt weld easier. If you were replacing your floor you would do the pipe first and then lay the floor on top.

Then weld it back up. Its not exactly perfect but with an SO42 you'd never see it.

Thats just what I did, thought I would share since its essentially what you are trying to accomplish.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tastefully removing the cargo floor heater log Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
You could rivet patches on the front floor till you get around to doing it right. Wink

I actually have my old washing machine outside to use the metal to do just that... But then I keep thinking I should just do it right and the license plates are holding it together ok for now... Razz
'69 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: