Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Database
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

We recently bought a 36K-mile Acapulco in its original paint with original upholstery. It's an amazing find, the nicest one I've ever seen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

During my search for Acapulco's I noticed that there are a LOT of them that are not authentic, meaning they were not built as an Acapulco edition when new in 1974. Even the ones on Barrett-Jackson are fakes, which is sad. I'm not against a Thing being restored as an Acapulco if the ad clearly states it's a clone/replica.

I'm building a database of authentic Acapulco Things. After speaking with Ron Domeck & others I've discovered that Acapulco Things were only built between May & July 1974. So far, the confirmed authentic Acapulco Things have VIN #s between #184 254 2004 and #184 254 4064 (so far).

If you own an Acapulco (or are considering buying one), please send me a PM with the VIN # so I can expand the Acapulco database and make the data more accurate.

In future posts here I will fully document the detailed parts on our Acapulco that make it authentic. Hopefully it will help buyers to confirm whether a Thing is truly an authentic Acapulco or not.

LEE HEDGES
San Diego California
1974 VW Acapulco Thing
http://leehedges.wix.com/1974acapulcothing
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Acapulco Things were different than standard Things in several areas. Running boards & fenders, blue painted parts, & surrey top were the main differences. American-sold Acapulcos were only built in a small portion of the 1974 model year, between May & July.

RUNNING BOARDS: They featured running boards that mounted to the front & rear fenders using special mounts & KAMAX 10.9 bolts.

BLUE PARTS: The blue used on Acapulco editions was never used for any of the standard Things. Although it has not yet been confirmed what the color code is (thanks to less-than-optimal recordkeeping at the Puebla Mexico plant), in my opinion the color is closest to L52E Pastel Blue.

The dash panel was painted (front & back), as were the front hood (inside & outside) & license plate hood.

The rocker panels were painted up to the second rib. And the bumpers & brackets were painted (front & rear).

SURREY TOP: The metal-framed surrey top was supplied standard with all Acapulcos. The front mounting bracket replaced the standard mount. Most owners removed the surrey top & added a soft-top or hardtop due to better cold-weather comfort. The front edge of the surrey top was secured with Phillips-head screws. The underside of the vinyl top was solid white.

yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info here. I was hoping you would get some more interest on this subject as the facts surrounding the Acapulco have always been a bit of a mystery.
Was there ever a yellow / white version ?....or only blue / white ? Very Happy

Back in 1976 / 77 I think, my family took a trip to Hawaii and our rental car was a Thing. I remember it looking like an Acapulco. Does anyone know if there were indeed rental cars in Hawaii at one time. If I dig deep in my old photos I may have a picture of the one we rented.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

From my research it seems that the prototype Acapulcos were first used at two Mexican resorts. The blue one at the Princess Hotel resort & the pink one at Las Brisas resort, both in Acapulco. But when the production 1974 Acapulco edition was sold through VW of America dealerships, only the blue version was available.

I've never heard of Acapulcos being used as rental cars in the 1970's, but it sure would have been a bit hit! Nothing cooler than driving a surrey top Acapulco to the beach on the Big Island or Maui. Dig up those photos!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Great idea Lee! That is one amazing example of a Thing you have as well... There is a thread about that one being sold from last fall, I believe.... Interesting comments made on that thread...

Congrats, and good luck with finding the "facts" of the Acupolco as well! VW isn't well know for keeping solid records on its vehicles..... Rolling Eyes

I've seen a yellow/white version as well....(aside from the 6 door that TTS built).... Where would they have been used?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

It has always intrigued me why there was an Acapulco with an German (VW prototype?) license plate...

Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

That magazine article looks more like an Acapulco that was exported from Mexico to Germany for VW to have a closer look. But there were Acapulco models produced & sent to other parts of the world besides the USA. The USA production, however, was only made in 1973-74.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

here is a letter from VW on the Thing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Doc*181 wrote:
It has always intrigued me why there was an Acapulco with an German (VW prototype?) license plate...
]

It's RHD too! I don't think I've ever seen an Acapulco in RHD!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember

Last edited by GI Joe on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Here are a few more factory photos

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

If that magazine article post was a RHD the wiper arms would have been going the other direction.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

The RHD is not a Acapulco but one with the fiber glass top.
GB
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

You still haven't, that is a 181 with LHD, the guy is just sitting in the passenger seat in the photo.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
GI Joe wrote:

You still haven't, that is a 181 with LHD, the guy is just sitting in the passenger seat in the photo.

Right your are! Embarassed

The first time I looked at the pic, I saw the guys hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel.... Now I look again and it's actually on the windscreen frame..... Sure funny how we "see" certain things at certain times... Silly brain.

Oh well, the mystery of a RHD Acapulco is lost..... Crying or Very sad
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

For sale already Lee? Question
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Sadly yes. A good buddy & I bought it together: right time, right place, right price. Now he's going through a divorce & I've found the oldest T34 in the world that needs to come home to San Diego. The Barrett-Jackson auction just passed and Monterey Concourse is a few months away. We decided to list is on theSamba & ebay for a faster sale. It's an amazing Acapulco and we both wish it could stay in the collection. We'll see how it goes ...
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

So our 36K-mile Acapulco has found a new home in Michigan. It will be transported from San Diego in a week or so.

During the time I've owned it I've tried to collect VIN #s of the authentic Acapulco models. Since I'm now out of the Acapulco business, I wanted to share the info I've archived in the Acapulco Database. If anyone wants to have the Excel database, email me at [email protected]

#184 2 343 242 in PA (oldest in database)
#184 2 542 004 in GA
#184 2 542 176 in SoCal (soon MI) with May74 decal
#184 2 542 277 in AZ (sold at Barrett-Jackson $19 in 2009)
#184 2 542 481 in LA (51K miles)
#184 2 542 523 in IL
#184 2 542 669 in SoCal
#184 2 542 927 (unknown location)
#184 2 542 990 in FL (sold $52K Amelia Island in 2015)
#184 2 543 337 in NV (sold Barrett-Jackson 2014 $27K)
#184 2 543 800 in TN (with June 74 decal)
#184 2 544 064 in NoCal
#184 2 544 259 in CO
#184 2 544 336 in SoCal
#184 2 624 831 in CO (youngest in database)
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
So our 36K-mile Acapulco has found a new home in Michigan. It will be transported from San Diego in a week or so.

During the time I've owned it I've tried to collect VIN #s of the authentic Acapulco models. Since I'm now out of the Acapulco business, I wanted to share the info I've archived in the Acapulco Database. If anyone wants to have the Excel database, email me at [email protected]

#184 2 343 242 in PA (oldest in database)
#184 2 542 004 in (GA) Maryland
#184 2 542 176 in SoCal (soon MI) with May74 decal
#184 2 542 277 in AZ (sold at Barrett-Jackson $19 in 2009)
#184 2 542 481 in LA (51K miles)
#184 2 542 523 in IL
#184 2 542 669 in SoCal
#184 2 542 927 (unknown location)
#184 2 542 990 in FL (sold $52K Amelia Island in 2015)
#184 2 543 337 in NV (sold Barrett-Jackson 2014 $27K)
#184 2 543 800 in TN (with June 74 decal)
#184 2 544 064 in NoCal
#184 2 544 259 in CO
#184 2 544 336 in SoCal
#184 2 624 831 in CO (youngest in database)

I'll wait to see if anyone else wants to handle this database. If not, I'll do it so it doesn't get lost. I just had surgery so typing is limited right now. I'll check back in a few days. I corrected one (above) as I bought it a few years ago.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
During the time I've owned it I've tried to collect VIN #s of the authentic Acapulco models.

Do you know what the VIN range is for '74 Acapulcos?

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

In my limited research of Acapulco models no one has shared the production VIN number range for these rare models. That's why I began collecting VIN numbers of the ones I'd seen for sale or in photos. The database VIN numbers I shared give you the range up to this point. Maybe someone can continue to add authentic Acapulcos to this database so the information gets more definitive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: