Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My thing has only 4 lugs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

😳😳😳😳 three Hundo???? Horee clap!!
That's a score!!

You can use that tail end to make a matching trailer!!(I have a carcass in the barn for such a project!)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

that would be sweet!!!!! I hadn't thought of that but it wouldn't be too hard to do and would be an awesome addition to the thing.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

have not learned the trick of posting links on the site

look up The Thing Shop, should be TheThingshop.com

bikini tops come with supporting bows and header. will run though around $450. The support brackets are around $60. They are worth it to keep the windshield from leaning to far back especially if someone has used a a grab handle over the years.

There are others making tops but the either snap over windshield frame or have a track riveted to windshield framer. Nothing stock/factory other than The Thing Shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

gotcha. I actually did visit the site and that one isn't too bad for it to be a factory fit. I hate the ones that have to put rivets in the windshield frame. that doesn't seem very smart on these old expensive rigs. When they want 450 bucks just for the lower windshield frame, I couldn't see putting holes in the upper frame. Does anyone have a good site on a possible how-to repair the lower windshield frame? mine is rusted out but only on the small square where the hinge mounts. The screws are starting to pull out so It will be one of the first repairs I do on this Thing.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

again lack of true posting skills, can only do pics.

If you search in Thing forum. Plug in windshield repair or windshield frame repair. There are a few. Other than that, there are generally couple ads in classified for complete frames. sometimes top or just bottom.

if you are handy with metal fab, just takes some time and patience. if not too handy, see if local club members or enthusiasts are around who don't mind helping out.

my son and I are/were self taught from pans, rockers to front qtr. little mechanical aptitude and good resources can go a long way

take a look in forum and classifieds..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

this is a picture of my Thing look for a brace on the rear torsion housing I thing it is only on a Thing frame I have cut mine for a rear sway bar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

Yes, that is a Thingshop Bikini top. Here is a link to the top:

http://www.thethingshop.com/BIKINI-TOP/productinfo/181+BK-GN/
scudders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

where all things made with 5 lug? as I have one that looks original but has 4 lug ? and when you look at it all the parts look original under neath the car
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

One clue as to the reason for the 4-bolt setup is the 15 inch wheels. 14 inch tires are becoming increasingly rare.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My thing has only 4 lugs Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
One clue as to the reason for the 4-bolt setup is the 15 inch wheels. 14 inch tires are becoming increasingly rare.

Agreed. Other "silver linings" are that the 4 lug wheels can be balanced by any tire shop on modern machines, and the 14mm lug bolts are better than the stock strip-prone 12mm lug bolts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: