Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

I'm in need of all you all's help please w/my 1970 Ghia.

I have a new wiring harness and trying to wire it to the ignition.

My ignition has 4 wires, Red, Black, Black w/Red strip and gray.

The wiring harness diagram says the red on the wiring harness goes to the red on the ignition red wire.

Where does the black, Black/red and they gray go? Seems the red on the ignition would go to the Red#50 on the main harness but not sure about anything at this point and don't wanna burn it down:)-

desperate help please...
Here's the wiring harness diagram.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks!
Lee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Hi there, welcome to the Samba!
You will find there's a ton of information on the site, sometimes it's a case of knowing where to look!
The wiring diagram is under the 'technical' tab at the top of the page, but I've linked to it here.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/kg_8_69_usa.jpg

You can't see the specific wires from the ignition switch, just a bunch from the steering column. The red goes to terminal 30 on the light switch, the red/black goes to a connecting block that joins it to a red wire on the harness to the rear of the car (hopefully your harness is the same colours!) and the black goes to the hot side of fuse number 2.
Hope that helps, I'll try to find a post to show that the grey wire of my '70 ghia is for the euro 'parking light' system and is usually clipped off and taped.
Good Luck!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

It sounds like you don't have the SU ribbon wire (sometimes brown w blue stripe) that you see in my switch, which is for the 'key in' warning buzzer, but you can see the grey wire is attached to a P terminal that you definitely don't need.

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Ok. Last piece of work before I go to London for a few days. Cool
I carefully made sure the ?SU ribbon wire wasn't grounding out anywhere and heatshrinked (heatshrunk?) the entry point to the switch.

Then cleaned up the other end (the insulating plastic was well stuck, but a Dremel is a wonderful thing!). Soldered it to a length of brown/orange wire I found, which will do. Heatshranked.

Then crammed the whole lot into a length of shrink tubing. Looks a whole lot better than the electrical tape that was there before!

For info, here is the 'P' terminal with the clipped wire. This is live only when the ignition is off. Unless you want to rig up the 'parking light' arrangement, the only thing I can think of is wiring it to a flashing LED that would light when you left the car. Lo-tech security option? Wouldn't fit my stock vibe, so I haven't! Any other suggestions welcome!

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Hi there, welcome to the Samba!
You can't see the specific wires from the ignition switch, just a bunch from the steering column. The red goes to terminal 30 on the light switch, the red/black goes to a connecting block that joins it to a red wire on the harness to the rear of the car (hopefully your harness is the same colours!) and the black goes to the hot side of fuse number 2.
Hope that helps, I'll try to find a post to show that the grey wire of my '70 ghia is for the euro 'parking light' system and is usually clipped off and tapedal off

Huge thank you for the welcoming and the info:)
Are you saying the Grey wire not a ground wire but something else? What is a "euro parking light"?

Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
It sounds like you don't have the SU ribbon wire (sometimes brown w blue stripe) that you see in my switch, which is for the 'key in' warning buzzer, but you can see the grey wire is attached to a P[/img]
[/quote]
Looks like you have 2 Red wires, 1 Black and 1 Grey wire? Whereas I have 1 Red, 1 Black w Red Stripe, 1 Red and 1 Grey.
Any idea why the difference with the one I have?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
It sounds like you don't have the SU ribbon wire (sometimes brown w blue stripe) that you see in my switch, which is for the 'key in' warning buzzer, but you can see the grey wire is attached to a P[/img]

Looks like you have 2 Red wires, 1 Black and 1 Grey wire? Whereas I have 1 Red, 1 Black w Red Stripe, 1 Red and 1 Grey.
Any idea why the difference with the one I have?[/quote]

I'm travelling through several European countries today, so you might not get quick replies! Wink
One of my red looking wires is actually red with a black stripe. I think the same switch was installed for different export markets, and mine is a US model, so the grey wire is not needed and was clipped off. It powers the Euro spec parking lights, which is where the side markers are left lit on one side if you leave the indicator stalk in the left (or right!) position. It's confusing if you've never lived in Europe, but I'm 99% certain you don't need the wire!
Your wiring diagram for the harness looks very basic, and possibly wrong, so I would recommend downloading and printing the correct diagram for your year and using that. The one I linked to is for Aug 1969- Aug 1970.
Keep asking questions and I (or someone else!) will respond if they can!
Phil

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Also, pretty sure the ground is through the body of the switch. Now in Italy, after Slovenia and Croatia this morning. Still got Austria and Germany before tonight!! What a life! Very Happy

Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Phil,
Sounds like your living the dream w all your travels Smile personally I just got back from a paragliding trip in Colombia Smile

Thank you for your help to.

As for the red/black wire you have mine is actually black/red (I'll take a picture later today).

The reason I thought the grey was ground was because a guy is selling new ones on Ebay who says his gRey wire is ground.

I'll take a look at the diagram here on Samba as well but not really looked at one before so kinda confusing to me Smile-
Be safe my friend.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

Any idea why the difference with the one I have
One of my red looking wires is actually red with a black stripe. I think the same switch was installed for different export markets, and mine is a US model, so the grey wire is not needed and was clipped off. It powers the Euro spec parking lights, which is where the side markers are left lit on one side if you leave the indicator stalk in the left (or right!) position. It's confusing if you've never lived in Europe, but I'm 99% certain you don't need the wire!
Your wiring diagram for the harness looks very basic, and possibly wrong, so I would recommend downloading and printing the correct diagram for your year and using that. The one I linked to is for Aug 1969- Aug 1970.
Keep asking questions and I (or someone else!) will respond if they can!
Phil

Here's a picture of my wires coming out of the steering colum
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread when I ran into smilar difficulties:

"I have a spare wire on the ignition also: The switch has 4 wires but the diagram shows 3. Here it is:

Red (5mm) goes to starter terminal 50
Black/Red (red on the diagram) goes to Light switch 30
Black goes to Fuse 2 South

But where does Grey go?

More help needed here, please."

The answer I got was that the grey wire is for the side parking lights (which my car doesn't have).
Resto completed Dec 2015
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Mine does have side parking lights so will connect it w out the grey and if it starts smoking or does turn over I'll revisit this.
Question, to hotwire or bypass the ignition to start my engine what wires would I connect?

Thanks again:)
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Mine does have side parking lights so will connect it w out the grey and if it starts smoking or does turn over I'll revisit this.
Question, to hotwire or bypass the ignition to start my engine what wires would I connect?

You have the same wires as I have on my car. Good luck.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

You have the same wires as I have on my car. Good luck.

Awesome! Your the only one I know who had had the same, thought I had some sort of home made switch.
Did you just tape off the grey wire?
Also, if I find out my ignition is faulty, do you know which wires I can put together to start it? Black to Red #50?
Cheers
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

We taped the grey off. Can't help with the starting, sorry.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Now that we've figured where the wires go, I've determined the ignition is faulty Sad

I have ordered a new ignition and removed the key cylinder from the steering column but can's seem to figure how to remove the old electronic ignition from the cylinder. ....

Any tips on how to remove the electronic ignition from the cylinder??

Many thanks!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Also, pretty sure the ground is through the body of the switch. Now in Italy, after Slovenia and Croatia this morning. Still got Austria and Germany before tonight!! What a life! Very Happy

I am in theNetherlands now if you are driving by we could meet up.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

I am in theNetherlands now if you are driving by we could meet up.

Would have been good, but we flew home from Munich!
End of thread hijack!

Georgia 1970 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Hello. Found this old post, and it is the same issue I am having. My car was running, now with new ignition it wont turn over. When I bought the car it had no key ignition, and i am having to replace all the parts.
Is the solution to connect Red 5MM to 50 terminal, Red/Back to terminal 30 on light switch, and black to #2 on fuse box and tape off grey?
Do I need to deviate from the original wiring diagram from 1970?
I have a 1970 Ghia Coupe that was built in Late 1969.

Thank you,
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Quote:
Red 5MM to 50 terminal, Red/Back to terminal 30 on light switch

You have these backward. Black/red wire 50 goes to the starter solenoid. Red is wire 30 (always 'hot') goes to the headlight switch. The black wire 15 (key on) goes to stuff you want to turn on with the key switch on the fuse panel.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Georgia 1970 Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Ghia Ignition wiring help needed Reply with quote

Thanks. I have tried it both ways. It wants to turn over, but just wont fire.
Before I added the new fuse panel and new ignition wire, it fired up on pretty much first turn.
I assume since i changed out the key ignition, and the fuse box, It has to do with something in the wiring?
Any suggestions? I have done my best to follow the correct wiring diagram I found on Samba.
It has new battery, fairly new starter, and new fuse box and fuses.
I am at a loss.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: