Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cargo door/rocker question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

I am working on a 65 panel and had a question about the cargo door/rocker interface.

replacement rocker has lock rod "squares" welded to it to strengthen the area where the lock rod sits.

the cargo door have been repaired long before I got to it and was wondering if the bottom of the door is "notched" around the lock rod pockets.

if they are not notched on the door skin (in the gasket area) it will not allow the door to close without pushing the rocker out of shape, and the lock rods will never sit in the pockets

this isn't a concourse d'elegance resto, but I want it to be as right as possible.

I did search the gallery but really couldn't find any photos. I did see a few that looked as if it may be cut back on the door to allow it to sit into the rocker around the lock rod pockets (which is what I am ready to do) but it was unclear if that was the "correct" way.

sorry if it's been covered. bay guy working on a split here....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...was wondering if the bottom of the door is "notched" around the lock rod pockets.

If you mean on the inner part, then yes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was before I added the rod guide but you can see the notch.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

it was on the outer skin/gasket channel side of the door.

I thinned that area out about 3/16 and was able to get the door to close. when I get a little further I will post a photo.

I think it's right. so basically the gasket channel needs to be notched to go around the lock pockets.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

You mean notches in the seal?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

if that is the seal that goes in the rocker that gives a good picture of what I needed to do.

the door skin hit on the lock rod pockets, so I had to notch the door skin/gasket channel on the door in order to go around the pockets.

again, when I get further along I will post a photo.

good, bad or ugly it's just what I am going to have to do to make this work

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: cargo door/rocker question Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if that is the seal that goes in the rocker?

Yes, NOS.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: