Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Bosch parts
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
clonebug wrote:
No one can resist the force!!!

Come to the DARK SIDE of CrankFire Ignition........... Laughing Laughing Wink

Yeah, that doesn't go over well with the judges on your 100 point Oval Ragtop, not to mention cutting the value in half.

You guys don't want to know what the shop I work for now has paid for some of the NLA, NOS Bosch ignition stuff for some of the 50's-60's Mercedes we've restored.

Finding another source of wire for a 40 Aircooled VW is one thing, but I feel sorry for those wanting to play with/restore vehicles from the 90's in 15-20 years.

Well....I guess it doesn't matter if it runs like puke with the old worn out 100 point wires if you only move it 10 ft to get it back into the trailer it came out of....... Wink
A little "Armour All" will make the rattiest wires look new enough to get it to the show for the points.........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Might was well install a Subaru engine. Watercooled, EFI and crankfire.

I 100% agree Cool

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

You don't get it....

There's something about driving a stock 36hp... just like they did back in the late 50s. And we accept it.

While you take a antiquated engine design and try to upgrade it with turbos, EFI and crankfire. Even Porsche abandoned the aircooled pushrod engine. But there's still a dedicated group that appreciate early 911s and 356s.

When my last engine decided to throw a rod, I had a clean sheet to start from. I contemplated going Type 4, turbo, Subaru and others. But i'm a "vintage performance" guy and went with a classic 2180, dual IDA and a Bosch 010 with points.

Is it the fasted...no.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Well....I guess it doesn't matter if it runs like puke with the old worn out 100 point wires if you only move it 10 ft to get it back into the trailer it came out of....... Wink
A little "Armour All" will make the rattiest wires look new enough to get it to the show for the points.........

I didn't realize simply adding a crank fired ignition would make a stock 36'er break the sound barrier.

That's O.K., their the ones laughing all the way to the bank to cash the auctioneers check for the sale of their originally restored car.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree a crank fired ignition is superior to a points distributor. It's just that it would go over about as well as shit on a wedding dress on an originally restored car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
......But there's still a dedicated group that appreciate early 911s and 356s......

I've been able to associate with such groups, as well as some of the Mercedes groups at the shop I now work at that does more factory restorations than anything else. It boggles the mind what someone is willing pay for "correctness", and the percentage that amount falls with any tiny variation of "incorrectness".
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
clonebug wrote:

I didn't realize simply adding a crank fired ignition would make a stock 36'er break the sound barrier.

That's O.K., their the ones laughing all the way to the bank to cash the auctioneers check for the sale of their originally restored car.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree a crank fired ignition is superior to a points distributor. It's just that it would go over about as well as shit on a wedding dress on an originally restored car.

My point is....if you can't run it because there are no nos parts or replacement parts available anymore....either you have to use something else or you won't be driving it.
I myself can't fathom a show car.....it makes no sense to me to put $30,000 or double and more into a $1000.00 car just to trailer it to a show to get a piece of wood that says it is the best.......
I prefer to enjoy driving it and if crank fire gets me to my goal for a reasonable cost and allows me to make more power with the addons I use to make it more enjoyable........ then I'll just park in the spectator section.

I have a set of used Bosch wires in the garage that would look brand new with a little Armour All if someone wants to pay a mint for them.......
I even have the original "Bosch" box....... Laughing Laughing
My buggy runs great with some 18 year old Ford F150 Plug wires I picked up for $10.00 off of a truck heading to the crusher.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
My point is....if you can't run it because there are no nos parts or replacement parts available anymore..

Who said you can't get tuneup parts? All I said is that Bosch has stopped making them. There are other OE brands like Beru and Bremi that still make them along with a number of high quality aftermarket brands.

clonebug wrote:
I myself can't fathom a show car.....it makes no sense to me to put $30,000 or double and more into a $1000.00 car just to trailer it to a show to get a piece of wood that says it is the best.......

That's not what it's about. It's much harder to keep a old car "correct" as when it left the factory. Also a stock car is worth way more than a modified car.

I get it that you don't get it. But that's OK, just as long and you're enjoying your car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Who said you can't get tuneup parts? All I said is that Bosch has stopped making them. There are other OE brands like Beru and Bremi that still make them along with a number of high quality aftermarket brands.

I'm sure Empi will pick up the slack........that should only be a 5 point deduct...... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

I get what you're saying glenn, but I see both sides.

anything I do is 100% EASILY reversible by design. if early bays start rolling across mecum/BJ for 80k, I have a proper aircooled to slap back in it....

and some of these builds knocking on 8,10k+ for such little return on tq/hp and reliability isn't fun to me...but I get it...

the older I get the less I want to spend good money for crappy parts that need 100's or 1,000's in machine work to correct.

the main objective is to keep these old junks out in the wind, no matter how you do it.

you of all people can relate to our season being so short seeing we are on the northeast coast....I couldn't fathom being down 2 months in april/may because of a shortage of some rudimentary part....or being on a list of the handful of good machine shops left out there for months on end...

to each their own. I can also appreciate the trailer queen, although I see no appeal in owning something that is so fragile you're afraid to drive it further than out of the garage and on a trailer.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

Just because a car is trailered to show don't mean that it can't or isn't driven regularly. I know a few large families with kids and grandkids that just can't load everything into a Bug for a 6 hour road trip.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

This is why you have to love the samba, someone posts something "news worthy" and it turns into a shit storm. I think the original post was more about parts "drying up" than what is best for your car.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I'm sure Empi will pick up the slack........that should only be a 5 point deduct...... Laughing Laughing Laughing

They already do sell wires in all sorts of colors.

But you can still get quality 7mm silicone wire by the foot and make your own. So as long as you have the spark plug ends, wires will be available for years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

While this thread has strayed, future parts availability is a concern. Retrofitting something old with something modern may be the only way to keep things running, but I don't see it anytime within the next 20 years. I'm by no means a purist, but will never have anything other than an Aircooled VW engine powering any of my cars. While there are things disappearing, there are some that are reappearing. To my surprise, Weddle is making certian transaxle parts that were starting to become difficult to find used. If there is a market, someone will make it. Snyder's Antique Auto parts has parts for Model T's/A's some 100 years after the production of the first ones. And yes, you can still get all OEM style ignition components. After a production run of 16+ million Model T's there are still over a million in existence/on the road. How many Beetles are there going to still be in 2050?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
How many Beetles are there going to still be in 2050?

I'll be 94 and still have my 74 Beetle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Say good bye to 09 001 and 09 004 Reply with quote

Glenn, I was looking at the post. several years ago I discovered the plug wires from AUTOZONE, there Type 1 Wire sets are great.. They are "nice" flexible wire cord, they did have BREU ends, And fit great!

Check out a set!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: