Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights now no highbeam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

So I installed some LED headlights in the '70 Bay and now I can't get the highbeams to work. Highbeams worked with the standard headlights, they worked with one LED headlight and one standard headlight. But with both LED headlights the highbeams won't come on. In my unprofessional thinking I'm thinking there's not enough draw to trip the relay over to the highbeams. Similar to how LED turn signals flash fast with a regular flasher relay.
My question is how accurate is this thinking. And does anyone know of an electronic relay for the highbeams if my thinking is correct?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

So far as I'm aware, the current to activate the headlamp-dimming relay, has nothing to do with the current consumed by the headlamps themselves, but the switch-current passing through the relay's solenoid coil and the steering-column dimmer switch.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Which LED headlights?
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Headlights are JW Speaker.
Trucklite has some that were my second choice. Maybe I'll still buy them and put them on my other bus and see which ones I like better.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Have you contacted the vendor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

spin the fuses and check the grounds for corrosion. There may not be enough current to make a good connection if there is corrosion. A standard bulb pulls a lot of current due to lower resistance during the milli-second it heats up. Sometimes that current is enough to arc thru a little corrosion. Your LED may not have enough current draw to arc thru a bad ground or resistance. There are two headlight fuses.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

My Jeep buddy's opinion after doing LED research is those JW headlights are he best LED headlights out right now. But no they don't operate at all like a turn signal, it's totally different tech. The flasher is a bimetallic spring that uses heat from amp draw. The headlight relay uses 12v and ground to pull the solenoid in and contact the internal switch pads.

Building on SGKent'a theory you might have bad contacts in the relay not letting the current through since the draw is so much less.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Does the relay click when you pull the lever?, or nothing happens at all?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

There is clicking.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Then the relay is working, SGK's theory about resistance in a fuse, relay contact or ground is the most plausible answer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:
Headlights are JW Speaker.
Trucklite has some that were my second choice. Maybe I'll still buy them and put them on my other bus and see which ones I like better.

Which Model?
http://www.jwspeaker.com/resources/?s=Instruction+Sheet
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

This one. Model 8700
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Have you tried a new relay? Bet the old contacts are pretty worn and may not flow enough juice to jump the pitting.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:
This one. Model 8700
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/

Seems like they are plug and play. As posted time to check grounds and wire connections. Spin the fuses. Test the voltages in and out of the relay as well.
Here is the headlight circuit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck
Tcash
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Did you get this resolved? and were there any fitment issues?

Thanks,
Tyler

1972 Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1)
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Have not gotten this resolved. I just drive around on the low beams and actually that's sufficient for now. As far as fitment goes I did have to grind down some of the cooling fins on the back to get it to fit in the headlight bucket but doesn't seem to be an issue. I was careful to only grind the fans where I can see both sides so I didn't actually go into a sealed portion of the light.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

If that relay is like my 71 it's a bi-stable relay mine gets wet sometimes and rust out the spring and mucks things up.
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

MonkeySee wrote:
Have not gotten this resolved. I just drive around on the low beams and actually that's sufficient for now. As far as fitment goes I did have to grind down some of the cooling fins on the back to get it to fit in the headlight bucket but doesn't seem to be an issue. I was careful to only grind the fans where I can see both sides so I didn't actually go into a sealed portion of the light.

Hm... I think you are braver than I. If I spend that much on headlights, I want them to fit w/o grinding!

1972 Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

Sounds kind of like the LED headlights I put on my Thing.

Due to poor connections somewhere along the way, they don't always flip over to high beam. Sometimes they will actually flicker between high and low, especially when a turn signal is on.

I don't remember the exact explanation from the seller but it was something along the lines of if the connections aren't perfect, the light will default down to low beams.

This whole thing is somewhat annoying, but I guess it isn't annoying enough to inspire me to go through and clean every single ground/connection. I don't drive on the highways in the Thing often, and even more rarely at night, so I don't end up using the high beams all that much anyway.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights now no highbeam Reply with quote

IMHO, the existing LED "upgrades" aren't worth it on two fronts: functionality and aesthetics.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: