Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Real-world size difference TF65 vs. TF49
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Real-world size difference TF65 vs. TF49 Reply with quote

Hey all, im having a hard time visualizing the useable space in these two units. Cubit ft vs qt size etc is hard to realize without touching it in person. So what I am asking is those of you who have both, what is the size difference is real terms? For example, the tf65 will fit x amount of beers and vs y amount in the 49. Or, i can fit exactly 8 more beers in the 65 vs the 49. Or better yet, what all do you pack in your fridges and does that take all the space?
As you can tell, Im on the fence on which to get. With the dometic, it would fit all the food we needed to keep cool with no space left for much else, but always packed a cooler for beverages, about a 18 pack of beers. So in reality, I would like to eliminate the cooler. I would like to go with the 49 since its cheaper and i am nervous about rehabing the cabinets to make the 65 fit. On the other hand this is probably a case where bigger is better, no?
Thanks for all responses and please keep it limited to these two fridges as I am not interested in any other models
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

Think of those "1 quart" tetra-packs that juice often comes in. They are almost exactly 1 litre in size. That means that the TF65 will fit 16 more tetra packs. You can leave the extra "beer cooler" at home. I do.

After you rehab your cabinet to install the TF-65, it will appear to have been easy in hindsight. Use the opportunity to install a stove sparker, replace your faucet with a Shurflo, etc.

You know you want more litres.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

I'm in Missoula and I just installed a TF49. I'm happy with the space, plenty for my needs. If you want to see how many beers fit, and drink a beer (for scientific purposes), let me know.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

Running_Man wrote:
I'm in Missoula and I just installed a TF49. I'm happy with the space, plenty for my needs. If you want to see how many beers fit, and drink a beer (for scientific purposes), let me know.

I will take take you up on that.
Make sure you come to the bug movie release next sunday night at the wilma Wink sadly im one of the main characters Very Happy There will be a preparty downtown and vw run weather permitting, yet to be announced
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Think of those "1 quart" tetra-packs that juice often comes in. They are almost exactly 1 litre in size. That means that the TF65 will fit 16 more tetra packs. You can leave the extra "beer cooler" at home. I do.

After you rehab your cabinet to install the TF-65, it will appear to have been easy in hindsight. Use the opportunity to install a stove sparker, replace your faucet with a Shurflo, etc.

You know you want more litres.

Thanks howesight, ive been noodling thru your install thread and feel better about the project. Thinking the 65 may be the ticket. Just dont want to eff up the cabinet. For the most part im pretty capable with wood working etc...
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Running_Man wrote:

Make sure you come to the bug movie release next sunday night at the wilma Wink sadly im one of the main characters Very Happy There will be a preparty downtown and vw run weather permitting, yet to be announced

Awesome, didn't know about that! Where do I watch for info on the vw run?
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Real world size difference tf65 vs tf49 Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Running_Man wrote:

I want so bad to come to that... but... it's Oscar night, and not that I give a flying 5yr-old about the Oscars, but sadly we'll be doing a special edition news that night and I'll have to be into work right in the middle of the film. Sad

Might try and make the VW run and meet up with you guys if it happens though.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Real-world size difference TF65 vs. TF49 Reply with quote

Here's a few pics of what my did

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/TF65Into1988Westy#

I'm a hack with wood and managed to crack the base doing this job but some white glue, clamps, it's strong as ever and pretty square.

I'm suggesting that if I can move the partition, most anyone can!

Neil

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Real-world size difference TF65 vs. TF49 Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Here's a few pics of what my did

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/TF65Into1988Westy#

I'm a hack with wood and managed to crack the base doing this job but some white glue, clamps, it's strong as ever and pretty square.

I'm suggesting that if I can move the partition, most anyone can!

Neil

Thank you for those pics, they are helpful
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: