Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklid stand off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylergeddis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1697517

Anyone using these Titan one piece Decklid stand offs? I like these a lot better than the typical empi stand offs being sold. If anyone has a picture of the Titan stands I would appreciate it! Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

tylergeddis wrote:

Anyone using these Titan one piece Decklid stand offs? I like these a lot better than the typical empi stand offs being sold. If anyone has a picture of the Titan stands I would appreciate it! Thanks

I use them, I did a 1" transmissions raise and I had to use a standoff. Here is what my car looks like with the Titan standoffs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Seeing as how the 'experts' saying engine cooling is compromised by using stand-offs, has anyone gone the old muscle car route, and put a 'bubble' in the deck lid to accomodate any oversize engine components?? I think that might look better (and provide better security and wet weather protection) than going the stand-off route .....
tylergeddis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the post! I'm gonna need them for my turbo, will order a pair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Seeing as how the 'experts' saying engine cooling is compromised by using stand-offs, has anyone gone the old muscle car route, and put a 'bubble' in the deck lid to accomodate any oversize engine components?? I think that might look better (and provide better security and wet weather protection) than going the stand-off route .....

I don't know about what expert says that a deck lid stand off harms cooling. I have a 1961 no louvered stock deck lid. I installed a 1971 1600 Dp motor in the car with the doghouse fan (bigger fan than stock 1961 fan) I found my motor starved for intake air at high speed and had high oil temp, I stood of the deck lid at the bottom (rather than the top, which might be more ideal) and found I no longer was starved for air (the motor no longer choked outs at high speed) and the oil temp dropped.

a scoop may be more efficient than stand off, that I don't know, but standing off my deck lid did help my situation. and standing off at the bottom does preclude the water issue. if you stand off on top at the hinges you can use "hats" that keep water out of the air cleaners.

I say try the stand off route and if that don't work for you try a scoop.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

I also use the lower home made deck lid stand off. My test resulted in this; engine lid closed and with lower deck lid stand off in place oil temps dropped 15 degrees. Stock dog house cooler~ 73 standard deck lid, 1745 cc engine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236480
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1236483

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

I have a 2020cc stroker in my 62 and I live in Phoenix, it does not cause me any issues in the summer to drive it with standoffs.
tylergeddis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

62RagAZ wrote:
tylergeddis wrote:

I use them, I did a 1" transmissions raise and I had to use a standoff. Here is what my car looks like with the Titan standoffs.

[/img]

Do you know if the Titan stand offs stick out further or the same as the other mounts sold?
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Digger89l who says stand offs compromise engine cooling? That is just not so. I live in the mountains and its over a 5000 foot elevation gain in about 30 minutes to get home. When is over a hundred degrees F. I would have to stop part way up the hill to let the engine cool off because the oil temp. was pushing 250 degrees. after I installed the stand off the oil temp stays under 230 degrees on the hottest day. I no longer need to stop to let the engine cool. If you a 1600cc or larger motor in a bug that originally came with a smaller motor from the factory you are starving that motor of air it needs for both cooling and combustion unless you make provision for more air. Stand offs are one way to increase airflow. VW added louvers to the deck lid when they went to 1600cc.
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

tylergeddis wrote:
62RagAZ wrote:
tylergeddis wrote:

[/img]

Do you know if the Titan stand offs stick out further or the same as the other mounts sold?

I do not im sorry, I never installed the empi ones.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Of course, being a 'stock original' fan, I was referring to the air-cooling characteristics of 'stock' style VW's. ....you guys trying to air-cool small block V8's ...carry on.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

My tennis ball on the lock mechanism is almost unnoticeable ....." Options "

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:

At one time VW sold scoops as accessories in the parts department. There were a couple of scoops that were made for the side engine air intakes and cowl vents for the squareback and also for the hoods for I believe 1968 + cars. In my misspent youth I built a 1776 for my 65 111. At that time I contemplated installing holes in the rear deck lid and covering them with the scoops. Painted the color of the car and sort of teardrop in shape they would have looked acceptable. Even back in the sixties and early 70's some people had already done standoffs, but in my opinion they break up the lines of the car, something a stylist would never do. The scoops would remedy the aesthetic problem. Then there were people that were propping just the tail end of the deck lid to let air escape. As explained to me in VW school that while this might let some air escape, that air at the bottom of the lid is needed for the cooling fan and the crankcase, the problem arises that the bottom of the deck lid area by design is supposed to have a slight positive air pressure from the air coming in through be vent behind the rear window. The positive air pressure is there to help the crankcase ventilation system work by helping the pulley on the front of the engine with it's reverse screw pull in outside air into the crankcase to carry away harmful blowby gases to ether the tube to the air cleaner or originally to the road draft tube. If you pop open the bottom of the deck lid you create a draft or suction which defeats the purpose of positive pressure to help the reverse screw to suck in air into the crankcase. You will note that when VW increase it's engine size that they added louvers to the top end of the deck lid and nothing to the bottom. There is a reason for this. Also in school there was not only a cooling airflow chart that shows the incoming air and where it's supposed to flow, but there is another chart that showed the path of the crankcase ventilation path. That path starts at the slight pressure at the bottom of the deck lid.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

....so, you're saying its a ( .......wait for it ........) ....stand-off?? LOL
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

If I had a large powerful engine I think I would get air to the engine compartment without trying to compromise the mechanical aspect of the design and the esthetic's too much. Therefore I would go for the scoops or louvers on the deck lid or if need be I would bring in air from the "C" pillar by way of a air scoop. I have seen some track cars done this way and it blends in and looks from a styling point of view more pleasing and flowing with the cars body lines.
http://www.oldbug.com/394%20005.jpg
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

62RagAZ wrote:
tylergeddis wrote:

[/img]

Nice looking bug
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

03hdfatboy wrote:
62RagAZ wrote:
tylergeddis wrote:

[/img]

Nice looking bug

You'll get a kick out of this then:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/254708.jpg
62RagAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

How so Helfen? You are looking at my car with the air ride completely aired out.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

That's for sure, however I made the comment to 03hdfatboy and thought he might like my link. Nowt to do with you.
acidjzaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Decklid stand off Reply with quote

62RagAZ wrote:
tylergeddis wrote:

[/img]

Great looking VW 62RagAZ!!!
I am going for a similar look\cooling with my 1776 engine... but you also have lid standoff on the bottom also correct?

Meaning you have a decklid stand off at the top and bottom of your engine lid??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: