Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Portland Oregon Area is Happening!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hey all! Been browsing the forums for a few months now, we picked up our 1990 Westy (Flash Silver... ooooh) in October and I've been having a BLAST fixing him up! We found him in the classifieds here and got him from a great couple up in Washington.

The upgrade list is extensive, since when we bought Westley (I know, such an original name) the only upgrade that had ever been done was the GoWesty aux battery kit. He still has the original canvas, in great shape! My most recent project is removing the GoWesty kit, haha. I'm replacing it with two 100ah batteries in the rear bench seat, a Blue Sea ACR, etc. etc.

Great to see so many active Portlanders on this forum, can't wait to start going to meet-ups, and I need to join the WetWesties group as well.

See you around PDX!

-Darin
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Hey Darin, welcome to the obsession! It sounds like you found a great van. Hope we can see it in person soon.

When's the next meet-up?? It's been waaaay too long Laughing Laughing
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

This weekend is the "un superbowl" campout near Nehalem put on by the wet westies.You might drive over and say hello and meet a few of those folks.
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

great to camp by you two this weekend....let's get together van style again!
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

This may not be the best place to post this, but I'm looking for some local people that may want this stuff. I'm tearing my 83 Westy apart, and have some pieces that I know I won't need:

1. 14" black steel wheels with tires that will hold air
2. Front discs and calipers from a newer Vanagon
3. Original refrigerator, complete but never tested
4. Front chrome bumper with black end caps

This stuff is free to anyone that wants it. You can probably now see why I prefer some local pickups due to size.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

kwilk wrote:
great to camp by you two this weekend....let's get together van style again!

So much fun! Great to meet you both and your fuzzy kids. Glad you parked by us. Not sure we were part of the official Nehalem get together but we sorta had our own Vanagon party!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

5th Annual Samba Portland Peeps Campout
Silver Falls State Park
Fri-Sat June 3-4, 2016

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo of WestyFest 2011 (photo by MichaelRpdx)

Join some of your fellow Sambanistas in a weekend campout at beautiful Silver Falls State Park near Silverton, OR. Silver Falls is the largest state park in Oregon, with magnificent waterfalls, nice hiking, and fairly close (about 1 hour) from Portland.

RV group campsite “B” is reserved just for us, one of the nicest group sites you’ll find anywhere. It’s a large open grass field, ringed by a gravel road, surrounded with tall trees and, my favorite feature, far removed from other campers. It’s a few minutes to walk to the scenic falls loop trail, and about a 15 minute walk to the stunning North Falls.

Important stuff:

- Dates: Friday and Saturday night, June 3 and 4, 2016. Check in is officially after 4:00pm Friday, but you can set up earlier then that.

- Cost: $10 per van per night. I have prepaid for the site; please pay me your share when you arrive.

- Please bring: firewood, your preferred beverages, frisbee/soccer ball/volleyball net, camp chairs, musical instruments if you are so inclined, Sat night potluck contribution, and maybe a few large canopies in case of soggy weather.

- If you want to go: Simply email me (climberjohn) and tell me you’re in. I’ll collect payment at camp, no prepayment needed.

- There is a limit of 25 vehicles and/or 50 people total. Campers are welcome on a first-call, first-served basis. We will reach the limit. An early response will ensure your spot, while if you wait you will miss out. Campers staying for both nights (or who offer to pay for both) get priority over those who can only make one.

- Please be sure you can make it before you ask for a spot. If you want to cancel, let me know pronto so I can open your place to someone else.

Small print:

- Tent campers are welcome, even though it’s an “RV” site. (Oregon state parks classify Westies as “RVs”. As long as we have just four Westies/RVs in the site, then anyone else can tent camp.)

- There are no RV hookups (power or water) at this site.

- This is not a Westy-only event, any flavor of VW is welcome.

- This is not a Wetwesties event, although Wetwesties folks are welcome to come if they hear about it on the Samba; see their site at www.wetwesties.org

- If you have a well behaved, minimally barking, kid-friendly dog, you may bring it. Leashes are required when on trails.

- Kids are welcome, bring your rascals if you like. The camp area is very kid friendly.

- Once you pay for camping you’ll get a day use pass, so there is no need to pay for one separately. Saturday is “State Parks Day:, which means anyone coming for day use does NOT need a pass.

- Might want to bring the mountain bike, as there are 25 miles of multiple use trails.

- Brochure for the park; we’ll camp at “North Falls group camp”: (Oregon state parks changes their website and breaks links all the time. If this link doesn't work, google "Silver Falls Oregon PDF map"

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=main.load...073735.pdf

This will be a fun weekend of camping and getting to know our fellow Samba pals, so I hope you can make it! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

See you outside,
Climberjohn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Thanks for organizing this. Was great to put faces to names last year when we stopped by (Woodburn show same weekend). Cant wait to hang out for the weekend at the group spot...its a nice one!
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

I'm in...
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Fun! We've been looking for some events to meet fellow Westy folk. My wife and I will be there!

Last edited by WestleyTheWesty on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
kwilk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

looking for a shop to handle some rust under the windshield seal. Any suggestions for a shop in pdx.?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Just ran across this video. Looks good!

Link

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Excellent find, thanks.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Heyo Portland amigos,

This is a thread bump / reminder for the Silver Falls camp out, June 3-4.

If you like to go, please send me a PM.

We presently have about 30 people.
If you want to go, please let me know within the next few days. After that, I'm going to open it up to the Portland VW van owners Facebook group.

This event has sold out every year we had it, and this year will probably be the same. So, if you want in, let me know pronto or you may get left out.

Take care,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Still room for a few more at the Silver Falls campout . . .
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Still room for a few more at the Silver Falls campout . . .

Hi John, PM sent. Hope there's still room left. Looking forward to meet yo'all.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

PIR ( portland international raceway ) is having it's first SCCA track night tomorrow 4-15-16, starts at 3pm ends 8pm.

I dusted off the Tristar, and signed up to give the advanced class some hell. Weather looks good, and I'm pretty sure they don't charge for spectators. I think there's still open spots in the novice / beginner class if you want to arrive and drive.

I would've had the Polizei van out there but the transmission is still out.

Eric
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Wish I knew sooner. Love watching you shred tires on bread boxes!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

Dang, the newest driver just got a hot lil' rabbit I had a hand in building 16+ yrs ago. We're not bringing it home til Sunday though.

We may come spectate!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Portland Oregon Area is Happening! Reply with quote

A few of us are circling the wagons and hiking some falls for a " we couldn't make it to SyncroFest " weekend. PM for deets
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 45

Jump to: