Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Northwest Living - Dehumidifier?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

We just moved from Salt Lake to Seattle six months ago. The rain and moisture is taking a toll on my Westy. Not as water tight as I had thought.

Can you NW people recommend a good dehumidifier or any tricks for keeping the mold down inside the van?

Thanks

Scott
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

Dri Z Air : http://www.drizair.com/retailers.html

A 60w light bulb on a pedestal base on 24 hrs works ok

I run a heater/fan in the wet months and unplug each morning before I drive. Having 5 cars parked outside, this becomes a hassle and expensive electric bill, but rust repair is more expensive and I enjoy the automotive hobby.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

Just as we had one of the warmest/driest summers last year, this is one of the wettest/dreariest winters I can ever remember around here. I'm constantly airing out the older vehicles loafing around my yard whenever the sun decides to come out and play...like today

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

Recent discussion:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644263

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

I found good old bleach to be an effective mold remover from my pop top flocking.
It did not lighten it or damage it.

I also had it off the Van for painting and had the advantage of setting it upside down like a tub and letting it soak.

Mold on the tent? Much harder to solve without discoloring the fabric or weakening the structure of it.
I was installing a new tent so this was a non issue for me.

My cushions came clean by removing the covers and soaking them in a trash can of hot water and liquid Tide Laundry soap. I agitated with a dull stick and rinsed well.

The foam I sprayed with Frebreeze several times and aired in the Sun fir a week.

I keep a small electric heater in my Van when not in use. While it does not remove humidity, it keeps the temperature up and seems to prevent mold growth.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

First, Welcome to Seattle! You'll find the rain grows on you. Literally.

You may find this thread helpful:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644263

My van is parked outside all winter, and I had the same problem you do. I bought an Electrolux dehumidifier for $20 on craigslist. I connected it to a thermostatically controlled plug which switches "on" once the temperature is above 50 degrees (the dehumidifier is much less efficient below 50 degrees, even though it's rated to work as low as 41 degrees). I placed it over the sink and drain it via a short section of garden hose into the sink. So far it's kept the van mold-free with a constant relative humidity around 55-60% during a very wet winter. I'm not sure how much it costs me to run the unit, but I don't think it's much.
Today, a gloriously beautiful sunny day in Seattle, I have the van parked in the sun, wide open with pop top up. I air it out completely on days like today.
It's supposed to be beautiful here thru Thursday so I'd recommend you open up yours in the sun too. Good luck!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

if you have the choice, park it on a slight incline with nose down. i'm pretty sure water comes in under the rubber lip.

also, check the area around skylight/latch bolts for dampness. flocking makes it spread.

other tip is remove the upstairs mattress during the winter. this allows more air flow.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:

other tip is remove the upstairs mattress during the winter. this allows more air flow.

This is a great idea. We took a trip the other weekend and that's exactly where i saw mildew coming back, where the mattress folds back and blocks the air flow.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I found good old bleach to be an effective mold remover from my pop top flocking.
It did not lighten it or damage it.

I also had it off the Van for painting and had the advantage of setting it upside down like a tub and letting it soak.

Mold on the tent? Much harder to solve without discoloring the fabric or weakening the structure of it.
I was installing a new tent so this was a non issue for me.

My cushions came clean by removing the covers and soaking them in a trash can of hot water and liquid Tide Laundry soap. I agitated with a dull stick and rinsed well.

Bleach is only recommended to kill mold on nonporous surfaces.
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html
I've had excellent long-lasting results killing mold in my Westy (flocking, etc) with 1c Borax/Gal H20. ***As always, test a small inconspicuous area of your fabric before treating***

From the EPA's website:

Should I use bleach?

Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, always ventilate the area and exhaust the air to the outdoors. Never mix chlorine bleach solution with other cleaning solutions or detergents that contain ammonia because toxic fumes could be produced.

Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.

For more information on mold, see our website at www.epa.gov/mold

https://iaq.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/211432878-Should-I-use-bleach-to-clean-up-mold-

scottjk wrote:
The rain and moisture is taking a toll on my Westy. Not as water tight as I had thought.

Can you NW people recommend a good dehumidifier or any tricks for keeping the mold down inside the van?

Thanks

Scott

Controlling moisture is the key. Check all of your seals to see if they need replacement (pop-top, windows, doors). And yes, removing the upper bunk mattresses when not in use is an excellent idea!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Northwest Living - Dehumidifier? Reply with quote

depending on your pop-top tent material, bleach can weaken the fabric. we have a hemp-cotton tent, and supposedly bleach damages hemp fibres. so, i don't do that often. borax sounds interesting. maybe also check out peroxide (ask your brewing friends).

you can also do a full pop-top reseal; http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/product/camper/pop-top-t3/westfalia-pop-top-seal/ and http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/product/camper/po...ight-seal/

i've done the skylight seal, but i think i need to do the rest of the seals. i did remove the poptop seal and clean the green slime out of it.

i really feel that parking on an hill causes more water problems. for example, the skylight area collects water unless level. likewise if parked tilted to the side.

i also put a heater and dehumidifier in the van for a day or so if i notice the windows get increasingly steamy when not in use. but the ideal is to find a sunny spot and put up the top. i did think about a cheap thermo-electric dehumidifier, but i just bring down one from the house.

if you use a product like DriZ, be super careful with it. it is a salt, and if you somehow spill that or let it drip down where you can't see it, you could have a flintstones van before too long from the rust.

anyway, the best thing is to find your wet spot and fix it. you probably have several.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: