Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joint 2" lift spindles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

SamT- what kind of welder are you using? Brand? Voltage? Thanks.

Im almost ashamed to say.... Its a hot maxx torches 175. Its 220 volt. I run c25 mix gas .030 forney wire. It says 175 amp, i donno that it quite does that. The amps were cranked to the max to weld these spindles and I did a touch of preheating with a torch before I started. The duty cycle rating is low, but it has a temp protection shut off and I only remember twice it has shut down on me.
Ive owned it for 5 years and run around 100lb of wire through it. The ground clamp has been replaced and a gas switch someone needs replaced now because the has stays on sometimes.

Anyways I bought it cheap on clearance at a hardware store closing for $400! I really need to upgrade, but its been good to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Max-175WFGK-175-Welder/dp/B00440DVAI
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Right on. Seems to penetrate pretty good.
sidehill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

I'm hoping to resurrect this thread to source 2" BJ lift spindles. I presently have a set of 3.5" Tweed lift spindles designed for disc brakes. They are just too tall for my Class 11 full-body look-alike. When I reindexed the rear to match the lift spindles it leaves me with no up travel. The problem was with shock travel, not the spring plates, as they are notched. My beam has adjusters but it is adjusted too high as it is.

So what I need are shorter lift spindles. Thing spindles are 3" and wider so I don't want to go that route. I don't see how the Tweeds can be modified, and apparently Tweeds is no longer in business.
Empi lift spindles break according to posts earlier in this thread.

Is there any source for strong 2" lift spindles? Or 1.5"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Scroll near the bottom of page 2 (click link below) of the other build thread for your car and you'll see how I built it. The recipe is there.

I had dimensions to the running boards, the amount of up travel and down travel. The rear shocks must be 18" long and 12" compressed. I had nitrogen charged FOA's that covered all the travel that the CV's would allow - regardless of spring plates or shocks. CV bind is your starting point. The spring plate notch allows for the full range of travel and to prevent a CV from grenading. The shocks must have more travel than the spring plates will allow or they will become a limiting strap or a bump stop. You'll reduce your travel in either direction with the wrong length shock.

I welded in the beam adjusters to be at stock height with the adjustment to increase ride height. Try adjusting them all the way down and see where it sits.

The car sat completely level with those spindles (and some lift adjusted in, but not much) and almost 4" of rear downtravel. That left 6" of compression travel from ride height.
Didn't you get the car with the Tweeds spindles in a box? Maybe the previous owner cranked the adjusters all the way up to regain the lift he lost by putting the stock spindles back on?

You just have to get it back to where I put it and I promise you that you will love it.
I NEVER had any suspension issues and it was extremely comfortable ride. Soft on the street, and could take any speed bump or driveway with ease. Never bottomed out, nor did it slam the lower stops due to not enough down travel. I got air in it many times and it was a marshmallow landing.

Like we've discussed in detail...it was dialed and all you have to do is undo what the guys before you did. All the changes that you've been making are well within the travel limits that I designed the car for. I just don't understand how you could have these issues with LESS travel than I built.

I had larger tires and more travel and more lift than when you purchased it...and NO issues.
From what you've told me, I believe you ended up with a combination of poorly chosen parts in the rear. Same CV's, axles, and probably the same 27mm torsion bars... but different spring plates, different trailing arms and different shocks.
Those are huge contributing factors to how well the rear will perform.

This is the one VW that I wish that I had never sold.

I'm sorry that you're having issues, but seriously, all you have to do is read my build threads to troubleshoot any suspension issue that you're having.
I can't imagine that repeating everything that I already did would yield different results. I did the research for you through my own trial and error. You just have to recreate it.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&...p;start=15

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

sidehill wrote:
I'm hoping to resurrect this thread to source 2" BJ lift spindles. I presently have a set of 3.5" Tweed lift spindles designed for disc brakes. They are just too tall for my Class 11 full-body look-alike. When I reindexed the rear to match the lift spindles it leaves me with no up travel. The problem was with shock travel, not the spring plates, as they are notched. My beam has adjusters but it is adjusted too high as it is.

So what I need are shorter lift spindles. Thing spindles are 3" and wider so I don't want to go that route. I don't see how the Tweeds can be modified, and apparently Tweeds is no longer in business.

Are you running stock shock mounting in the rear? If so, you can shorten the lower mount cups by an inch like VW did on the Thing. Or, you can get rear shocks from a Chrysler Town & country that are roughly 1.5" longer.(Which is what I did)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
sidehill wrote:

Are you running stock shock mounting in the rear? If so, you can shorten the lower mount cups by an inch like VW did on the Thing. Or, you can get rear shocks from a Chrysler Town & country that are roughly 1.5" longer.(Which is what I did)

Have you checked the total cycle TDCTDI? The shocks are good at droop, but how about at bump? Will they become the bump stops? And will their longer overall length cause the wheel travel to be limited?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Or you can drill a hole.

I pushed the limits of a type 1 CV, but it's been ok for the past 10 years.
Kustom1warehouse.net Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Those look good. How long have you been selling them and and out being used?
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

I just purchased/received a pair of 3" raised spindles from kustom1 for my baja, I'm certainly no expert but they appear to be as good as they get, he also sells bearings and seals if you want to freshen up everything .
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

I too have the K1W lift spindles. They are definitely a quality product. The welds are as good as they get. Damn near perfect. The Empi disc’s bolt up with no issues.
I went ahead a gusseted the steering arm before installing them. Kartek sells laser cut and CNC bent gussets for the steering arms.

The speedo cable is pretty tight at full droop. May delete that if it becomes a problem.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Schepp wrote:

The speedo cable is pretty tight at full droop. May delete that if it becomes a problem…

In case you didnt know, the super beetle cable is longer, and will work on lifted BJ spindles
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint 2" lift spindles Reply with quote

Schepp wrote:
I too have the K1W lift spindles. They are definitely a quality product. The welds are as good as they get. Damn near perfect. The Empi disc’s bolt up with no issues.
I went ahead a gusseted the steering arm before installing them. Kartek sells laser cut and CNC bent gussets for the steering arms.

The speedo cable is pretty tight at full droop. May delete that if it becomes a problem.

Hey Schepp. I'm resurrecting this because I was clearing out my old email notifications and ran across this.

For a longer speedo cable, check out cables for Super Beetles. I think 71-72 Super is a bit longer. That's what's in my 58 Baja with 10.25" travel linkpin. I think 73+ is a little longer still. I'm going off the top of my noggin and that's not as sharp as it used to be thanx to cancer meds. Check it out. Some vendors list by length.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: