Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG6 install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

I just wanted to share how I connected the fuel tank evap system to my latest Bostig install.
Start by drilling a 1-1/4" hole through the firewall, clean up and paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the bits I used to connect to the air box. They are basically just plastic irrigation parts, but I'm sure there are brass bits out there that might look better.

Drill and tap a 10-32 hole for the small nipple. Use a bit of glue for a tight vacuum fit.

Add a short length of vac hose to the fitting and one of the Zetec intake manifold ports.

Connect the hard plastic vent lines from the evap valve.

Add a 18" piece of 1/2" hose to the valve and feed through the firewall grommet and attach to the evap canister.

And no more gas fumes venting into the air!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

Thank you. I've been planning to do this and connecting the airbox to the stock snorkel but haven't found the time to work out the details. You've saved me a lot of R&D time!
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I just wanted to share how I connected the fuel tank evap system to my latest Bostig install.

Tidy work as usual, nice.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

Thanks!
You may wonder why I bothered to move the evap valve from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Couple reasons. First off I wanted to move my overflow bottle to where the valve usually sits, and since I had dropped the fuel tank on the Syncro anyway for R&R I was able to route the new hoses where ever I wanted.(although you can do this using the existing small vent line) The new location for the valve on the driver's side also utilizes some holes that were drilled for the original Group 6 install (the overflow bottle used to be located there) and I liked the shorter path for the 1/2" hose and the vent lines. Makes more sense having it on the intake side.

My Zetec is not a usual RG6 install, it's a collection of upgrades from the Group 6 install from '09. It has the 2010 cooling system parts instead of the newer fill port tower. To add the bits to upgrade that part would have cost me close to $750! I've been real happy with my 2010 style cooling system. The addition of the sight glass/bleeder at the top of the hose eliminates any problems with air being trapped at the top of the loop. (thanks to Signalocity for that tip)
Moving the overflow bottle also gave me more room around the air box and left a clear path for the a/c hoses.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 installs Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Looks like a great time to fully remove the axles and clean, check, and regrease the CV joints. Very Happy

MsTaboo wrote:
Absolutely, much easier to remove the inner CV bolts with the engine/transmission out of the way.
Repacking the CV joints is a messy job but pretty easy. Be sure to mark the axles for orientation and reinstall the same way they came out.

MsTaboo and dobryan, taking your and insyncro’s advice, I’ve removed my (2WD) van’s axles to service the CVs. It seems that my CVs are original and haven’t gotten love in quite some time, so I’m just going to replace them, putting new GKN/Lobro CVs onto my original axles. Figured that it would be wise to do this before installing my freshly rebuilt transaxle!

Did you have any particular tricks for cleaning the CV grease from the outer cup (i.e., the cup on the wheel hub)? Given that it’s recessed in the metal box wrapped around the wheel hub, I was curious if you had a preferred way for doing this. Is it simply reaching in there with your arms and rags and wiping down the CV cup until the grease is gone? Did you use any sort of cleaner after wiping off the old grease, or is a thorough wipe-down sufficient?

Thanks! Noob question… Very Happy
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 installs Reply with quote

mpl wrote:
I’ve removed my (2WD) van’s axles to service the CVs.

Incidentally, ever wonder what it looks like to swap your CVs by bicycle? Here’s how for those of us Van-peeps that live in areas where our primary transportation is by bike, rather than car… Razz

First, strap down your well-wrapped CVs and axles to a front porteur rack:

Then, load up your CV kits in a rear pannier:

Then ride very, very slowly and carefully to your friendly local Vanagon shop. I had to ask them to do the step of knocking off the old CVs and putting on the new ones because I don’t have access to a bench vise… The challenges of apartment living!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 installs Reply with quote

[quote="mpl"]
dobryan wrote:
It seems that my CVs are original and haven’t gotten love in quite some time, so I’m just going to replace them, putting new GKN/Lobro CVs onto my original axles. Figured that it would be wise to do this before installing my freshly rebuilt transaxle!

Did you have any particular tricks for cleaning the CV grease from the outer cup (i.e., the cup on the wheel hub)? Given that it’s recessed in the metal box wrapped around the wheel hub, I was curious if you had a preferred way for doing this. Is it simply reaching in there with your arms and rags and wiping down the CV cup until the grease is gone? Did you use any sort of cleaner after wiping off the old grease, or is a thorough wipe-down sufficient?

Thanks! Noob question… Very Happy

mpl, If your original CV joints show no pitting or other unusual wear I'd reuse them and not install new ones. The new parts have been a crap shoot as far as quality goes. If you already installed the new ones and your old ones were in good shape then keep them as spares.

I usually wipe out the outer flange as best as I can being especially careful not to add any grit in the process. You can get AR about cleaning it out, won't hurt at all. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

I would not worry too much about degreasing the hub face, just get it clean. You can use PB Blaster, WD-40, or other such lubes to help clean it up. Mainly you don't want any grit. On that note, this is a good time to inspect/clean the inside of the trailing arm and maybe spray some rust prevention wax. (or more if needed) All this is much easier while the engine/trans are out!

I wait until the engine and transmission are back in the van before putting the axles back on, this leaves more room to install the big pieces.
One trick I use when reinstalling the outer CVs is to lay a piece of wax paper down inside the trailing arm. This gives a clean disposable surface to rest the CV/axle on while getting the screws started into their holes. And I use bungie cords to help support the axle while lining things up.
Good luck with your project! No fun doing a major install in a parking lot. (BTDT)

mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

MsTaboo and dobryan, thanks for your CV tips!
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG6 install Reply with quote

This is very timley as I just ripped out all our syncro fuel parts in prep for RG7 and I had no idea how to route the vent lines for the charcoal canister
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: