Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealer and the affect on paint color
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Will a dark sealer make the paint color darker? I have chosen a solid blue color, no flake or pearl. Thanks
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

generally, yes. du-pont calls it "value shade"

ever see yellow that looks greenish? it's because a darker sealer was used.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Thank you.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

So a lighter color sealer/ primer would make the paint more true to its color if I understand this correctly?
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

NO! Anyone who says sealer will affect the overall shade/color is an inexperienced novice at best. Sealer shades are used simply to assist in overall coverage of the color coat. If the sealer has altered the color in any way then the painter didn't put enough color down. I hate when people say sealer affects color. The only affect the sealer will have is how many coats to takes to cover! Absolutely NO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

VintageVulture wrote:
NO! Anyone who says sealer will affect the overall shade/color is an inexperienced novice at best. Sealer shades are used simply to assist in overall coverage of the color coat. If the sealer has altered the color in any way then the painter didn't put enough color down. I hate when people say sealer affects color. The only affect the sealer will have is how many coats to takes to cover! Absolutely NO.

novice....right Rolling Eyes

try to paint white with a dark grey sealer. see how that panel matches. true, you CAN bury the sealer but you end up with a thicker (mil) topcoat.

look at any plastic bumper cover on any car today. the primer/sealer on those is a different shade. the only cars that have a dead nut match from body to bumper color are European cars. go check out a light colored ford/chevy/dodge and you will see the color is a mile off.

to achieve the correct outcome paint companies have a V.S. primer color for a reason. I agree that it is for coverage of the topcoat but it can have an effect on the color.

try painting yellow with the wrong V.S. I guarantee it will have a green tint to it. seeing this stuff has to chemically bond, the paint "melts" the sealer and it bleeds into the paint. every coat you put on alters the color.

but what do I know....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Any kind of sealer, coating....whatever .....regardless if it has a tint or not.....that changes gloss level either positive or negative.....affects "viewed" color....meaning what your eye sees.

It wont change the color from a spectrophotometer point of view as that tool can subtract for gloss.

If there is any tint or color at all in a sealer.....it WILL affect color. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Any kind of sealer, coating....whatever .....regardless if it has a tint or not.....that changes gloss level either positive or negative.....affects "viewed" color....meaning what your eye sees.

It wont change the color from a spectrophotometer point of view as that tool can subtract for gloss.

If there is any tint or color at all in a sealer.....it WILL affect color. Ray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting ready to start sanding this 20yr old paint job on my vw that’s never seen the light of day other than to roll out and take a few pixs like this. My car was stripped to the metal b4 the existing paint(base/clear coat) was applied so it should make a good base for the next spray. I’m thinking wet sand the existing paint with 200 then with 400grit. The blue paint on the side will need to be sanded down to the silver base coat since the transition between the two colors can easily be felt and seen. The new color will be some shade of silver so I’m thinking the primer sealer should be that same color.
Should I used an expoxy sealer? (brand?)
A regular high quality sealer/primer? (brand?)
What grit should I used on the seal coat in preparation for the new base/clear coat? (dry sand?)
Does this sound like the correct approach that will result in an quality paint job? I’m planning to color sand and buff/polish to a show finish.

Thanks!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Body on the above is dent and wave free. In preparation for the application of a urethane primer(grey), would hand sanding the current paint job with 320wet be adequate b4 the primer? The new color will be metallic silver(Audi Florett?) base/clear coat.
Also I have a $120 Sharpe Cobalt HPLV gun still in the box that I purchased about 15yrs ago with a 1.4mm tip. Would the 1.4mm be adequate to spray the urethane primer? I plan to purchase a better gun b4 applying base/clear coat.

Thanks
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

if you're just doing a color change just seal it and go.

you'll have to look at the TDS for whatever you're going to spray in terms of grit and tip size.

rule of thumb is 400-600 grit on existing surfaces BUT CHECK YOUR TDS for the correct procedure

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Thanks skills.....I should have mentioned that even though the body is straight there is some trash and minor orange peel from the previous paint job. I want to make sure I sand it out b4 I lay the urethane primer down. I’m thinking wet sand the entire car with 320 wet, apply the grey urethane primer, then wet sand the urethane primer with maybe 600 wet.
Hopefully she will be ready for the base color coat after all of the above.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Started block sanding the old paint on each panel and fenders one at a time with the intention of perfecting each b4 I move on to the next. In the process I have found more low spots, small cracks and pin holes than I realized. Even the CCC rear fenders required some cleanup. I plan to use a still new Sharp Cobalt with a 1.4 tip I purchased about 20yrs ago to apply the 2K primer. I will be purchasing a Master Pro 44: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Performance-Spray-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B07HNFDCT9 based on reviews to apply the base coat and sealer.

I will tackle the roof next and then add a removable 67 apron as soon as I find a donor part. If I can’t find a 67 rear apron CCC makes a rear apron cleanup panel.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealer and the affect on paint color Reply with quote

Did a little work on the rocker panels

With a little more hand sanding, cleanup & attention to some areas that will need some touchup...hopefully I can start applying the 2k primer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: