Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam replacement questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

Well I know I'm in the 53-57 forum but felt question would get a better answer here . Found a new motor for my 58 which is 3 weeks off build date of car . One I'm using is a 1956 motor . Split case and found cam is worn on one lobe and followers also . Will get new followers but I have a cam that I think will work the one on right in pics . Will remove gear and rerivet It to cam . Lobe hight is the question can not find lobe dim. Have three cams and find lobe overall dim. The same within .003 or so except for worn lobe cam .cam gear is a -3 so will use it with the case . Also what's up with the rear main bearing being drilled ?? Found this on a motor I split also on a motor I split years ago? Case pin is fine and is not oval.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

I recommend you talk with Matt at www.aircooledresearch.com

He can regrind your best cam to his Stage 1 or 2 specs. Go with straight cut gears and the gear size issue goes out the window. I run straight cut gears on my 36, no whine noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

jeffros 58 wrote:
Also what's up with the rear main bearing being drilled ?? Found this on a motor I split also on a motor I split years ago?

If you mean the hole just below the main bearing. It is probably an extra oil drain hole. The stock hole for this is above the inner lip of the fly wheel seal, so when you shut down the engine the oil pools in that area and drips out the seal because the crank is not spinning to pump the oil back into the case.

Been doing same with later engines. Brazil stock engines even had a channel cast into the cases to drain this area.

Below shows the German stock higher drain, the lower one we drill, and the Brazilian cast in one.

Here is the front of the above:

Jetjockey1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

Could the 6 ocklock hole be drilled without splitting the case? I’m considering doing this. My plan would be to take off the head on cylinders 1/2, remove cylinder on 1 reach to the back of the drilling point to catch the bore materials. Replace the main seal with an adequate oil drain port and reassemble.

Does anyone know if this could be done?

Thank you! I’m too leaky!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

Jetjockey1964 wrote:
Could the 6 ocklock hole be drilled without splitting the case?

Have done that on assembled engines with the flywheel and seal out of the way. Just be sure to miss that big stud hole in the case. I like to have a spare open case to visualize to drill down at a bit of an angle and still miss that stud hole. It is more of a 7 O'clock hole, as long as it is going to be below the lowest point of the FW seal inner edge.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

Apropos of nothing. I sent 3 cams to Canadian Chrome Plating in Ontario because I did not want to send them out of country and got badly burned. I will remember this guy for the next time.

Quote:
I recommend you talk with Matt at www.aircooledresearch.com

He can regrind your best cam to his Stage 1 or 2 specs. Go with straight cut gears and the gear size issue goes out the window. I run straight cut gears on my 36, no whine noise.

Don
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam replacement questions Reply with quote

Matt of (aircooledresearch.com) passed away about 2 years ago.
cancer took him.

Steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: