Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

I'm running the OE Diesel CAT ........ once it begins to operate (which is fairly quick, even on a cold day), the odor is very similar to chlorine (bleach). And, at WOT it does not bellow black smoke ... maybe a light cloud of dust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

A diesel vanagon never will be as quiet as a petrol one.
I have a 1Z mtdi with all the later JX exhaust and inlet setup, have hydro mounts and it is still a lot louder than the JX was (it runs harder so the sound is from combustion, direct injection vs indirect injection) and the JX was louder than my friends DJ.
And they wont be quiet without the factory underside cover tray.
Plus that the latest diesel vanagons in europe (from model year '89 I think) had an extra sound deadening foam like material inside the engine bay on all the exposed flat surfaces and a bigger exhaust silencer to meet the EURO1 environmental standard that involved a sound pollution limit.
The petrol ones had no modification required.

A friend of mine has an AFN e-tdi Vanagon. With late JX exhaust, AFN air filter in a 89 van. More silent than my mtdi, comparable to the JX but louder than the DJ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Loyd Tulluch from the UK showed a photo of a factory VW oil separator that goes inline in the vent tube that runs from the block to the breather "puck". I have never seen this. Is this a worthwhile this to hunt down and install? If so, does anyone have the part numbers for the upper and lower hose/pipe pieces and the separator itself?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

More worthwhile is to add a Mann Provent CCV filter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Loyd Tulluch from the UK showed a photo of a factory VW oil separator that goes inline in the vent tube that runs from the block to the breather "puck". I have never seen this. Is this a worthwhile this to hunt down and install? If so, does anyone have the part numbers for the upper and lower hose/pipe pieces and the separator itself?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1472655.jpg

Is it that white container? Good idea. Do you need to drain it periodically?

I don't know how different a diesel breather system is to a gas engine, but here's some airplane style breather assemblies.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_2854-1.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/airoilseparators.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1472655.jpg

Is it that white container? Good idea. Do you need to drain it periodically?

I don't know how different a diesel breather system is to a gas engine, but here's some airplane style breather assemblies.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/IMG_2854-1.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/airoilseparators.html

Yes, the white cylinder. From what Loyd said, "...the air path through it is a bit convoluted...It also looks to have a diaphragm and spring inside". It's meant to catch the oil before it gets to the puck and then it naturally drains back into the block. I've never seen one, so I'm just relaying what Loyd has said about it.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

On mine TDIs i through this tube out.
The seperator would make sense in the other tube going from head cover to inlet.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

You can see the Provent in the left lower corner of this photo, to the left of the valve cover.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by westyventures on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

[quote="westyventures"]You can see the Provent in the left lower corner of this photo, to the left of the valve cover.

Cool, thanks! Is that the ProVent 200?

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! Is that the ProVent 200?

Yes. (I changed the photo to show a later view also, the VNT control wasn't finished in the first photo I posted)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Karl, I remember you mentioning having a runaway issue due to the provent install. What was the issue and solution to prevent that happening?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Karl, I remember you mentioning having a runaway issue due to the provent install. What was the issue and solution to prevent that happening?

The issue was lack of instructions included with the Provent I received. I didn't realize a check valve was required on the drain - if above oil level - and lacking that, it ran away and damaged that pretty 20k-mile engine. The check valve solved it, although too late, because 8000 miles later the engine grenaded due to the earlier runaway which had melted piston crowns.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

If you put more gimiks into your van, the more you have to worry about.
The engine works also without it.
But the inlet gets more oil with the installed tube from down to up, and its not needed on a 50 degree instal.

Edit:
Also the plastik part on the button with a O-ring is a part more that can cause leaks.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Instructions for installation of the Provent are here:

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

There is also the Parker/RACOR CCV4500 which is basically the same idea, but different dimensions. I think it is larger diameter so that hurts in a tight engine space.
I saw this for $142. on this website:
http://racorstore.com/racor-ccv55024-ccv4500-hose-...gQodutQAKA

Aside from dimensions the downside is recommended filter change is at 750 hrs. They do also have a little RED pop-up button to tell you when the filter is blocking up so you need to change the filter...so far I have about 2000 hrs since the last filter changes and the RED button has not popped up. However, I am changing the generator oil & oil filters every 250 hrs.
If your engine is high mileage and worn out then you'd maybe want to change it every oil change. Provent states it depends on the application.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/55021_Rev_C_CCV_Series.pdf

I have these installed on my Generators and they work as advertised.
The size restrictions would be what dictates which one I would use.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
But the inlet gets more oil with the installed tube from down to up, and its not needed on a 50 degree instal.

Edit:
Also the plastik part on the button with a O-ring is a part more that can cause leaks.

I understand what you are saying about having more to worry about, but these also filter the blow-by oil returning to the crankcase and dirty oil is one less thing to worry about.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

He ?
A seperator filters the oil ?
Well yes, you have to replace the amount of oil that is in the seperator by new one.

If i worry about dirty oil, i change it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
He ?
A seperator filters the oil ?
Well yes, you have to replace the amount of oil that is in the seperator by new one.

If i worry about dirty oil, i change it.

The do have filters in them. It is not the fine particle filter as used in the main oil filter, but works good for combustion blow-by.
If you change your oil per mfg. recommendation then your covered about having good oil.

I'd really like to see an Oil Centrifuge on the engine. These basically just have a paper liner around the inside wall of a can. Inside the can is a spinning piece with jets on the ends. It simply shoots the oil out the jets and the center spins. Any heavier than oil particles are thrown up against he paper liner and stay there, the hot oil flows back into the crankcase leaving the residue on the paper liner.
You sometime see 1/4" on residue (6-7mm) thickness of residue on the paper.
What they do is increase your oil change intervals up to 500 hr.

But again, something else to worry about cleaning regularly.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Sure there are alot of ways to do some things better on every system.
But the stock engines run about 300-500k km.
Isnt it better to leave them alone ?
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

I've never had any issues with running a hose straight from the puck right into the turbo inlet pipe. Yes it coats the intercooler in oil but who cares ? I say keep it simple. I don't see a need for the provent.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro TDI Info and the WBX Conundrum Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

Edit:

The Mann Provent is not a 'gimmick'. It is a proven and reliable filter to eliminate all oil from the breather system and drain it back into the sump. Every 50-degree TD/TDI engine I've seen has some oil in the intake system. In engine still running the EGR, eliminating oil vapor from the intake also minimizes carbon buildup that ALL EGR-equipped TDIs have in the intake.

Also, a coating of oil inside the intercooler is bound to decrease its efficiency.
Everyone is welcome to do whatever the hell they want. I do it my way and am quite happy with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: