Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

As you may have been reading in the other topics I started, I am quite curious to learn more about coachbuilders who worked with barndoor buses – especially the Austrian ones, as I come from Vienna.

Here are the other related topics:
Coachbuilder: Hans Kohlruss
Coachbuilder: Unknown ones

Karl Schreiner

In Vienna there was a second coachbuilder who made deluxe panorama buses. At the first view they look pretty similar to the ones Hans Kohlruss made, but with the second view you can spot some fine differences. The company “Karl Schreiner & Söhne” (English: & sons) imported panels from the factory in Germany and cut in some extra windows, a big sunroof (to me it looks bigger than the normal ones) and he also added some deluxe trim. For example the VW-Logo on the front was chromed. Another special was, that he removed the standard folding doors in the back to replace it with a single, big folding door! He also added wind-up windows. The buses also had long corner windows.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"

Last edited by AustroBus on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

A few rare vintage pictures

If you ask me, the bus with the white roof on this pic could be a Schreiner bus too:

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

”Fahrschule Horrak” – The bus of driving school Horrak

This special 15 window bus has also been made by Karl Schreiner. It is a pre '52 bus.
Here is a LINK of Austrian national library where it is confirmed that the photograph has been taken on 05.11.1952 at Heldenplatz in Vienna.
I do have another pic of this "Fahrschule Horrak" bus, taken at the workshop of Karl Schreiner in Vienna and maybe a couple of other pics of Schreiner's panorama buses... i have to search for them - they have to be somewhere on my laptop..

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Non VW – Other vehicles made by Schreiner

Schreiner also worked with other vehicles, bigger than VW buses, and also made the passenger coaches for Austrian train line: Zillertalbahn. Look at this awesome KTM Motorbike Bus – by “Karl Schreiner & Söhne”. Pictures have been taken at a car and motorbike race at the freeway (Autobahn) Salzburg-Liefering in May 1955.

On the second pic you can see the lettering on the back of the bus – it says “Schreiner Carosserie Wien V” (5th ditrict of Vienna).

Of course here it is the same as in my other related topics - I just collected information I found on thesamba or the web or heard from people. It may be that I was wrong with something, but feel free to correct it, add other pictures and start discussions! Very Happy
All photos except the ones with the KTM bus have been taken from thesamba forums – if you want to know where exactly I have them from, just send me a pm and I’ll tell you. So you can also read the original discussions about the pix.

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

AustroBus wrote:
”Fahrschule Horrak” – The bus of driving school Horrak

This special 15 window bus has also been made by Karl Schreiner. It is a pre '52 bus.
Here is a LINK of Austrian national library where it is confirmed that the photograph has been taken on 05.11.1952 at Heldenplatz in Vienna.
I do have another pic of this "Fahrschule Horrak" bus, taken at the workshop of Karl Schreiner in Vienna and maybe a couple of other pics of Schreiner's panorama buses... i have to search for them - they have to be somewhere on my laptop..

I posted this picture in the vintage picture thread after a lucky find in the Austrian National Library website. I would love to see the workshop picture. Cool
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

AustroBus wrote:

i bet that one looks awesome with those rear doors open

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Those look like bus bumper trim on the lower corners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Hummmm Question
I wonder if all 15 window deluxes were coachbuilt? Would certainly explain their rarity.
I've been meaning to post anyway that 24S doesn't seem to be the code for 15 window Barndoors like we all thought. And I wonder if there is any factory literature that ever suggested it was?
You see my 52 deluxe has 24S stamped on the vin tag. So did my 51 deluxe and it came on both their VW birth certificates to. The two other 52 deluxes I currently have access to also have it on there vin tags as well.
Perhaps the S stands for the German for 'special' model. We know that unlike later Barndoor deluxes 51-52 run off the production line as sunroof standards and then had the skylight and corner Windows hand beaten in latter.
24S looks very much to mean pre53 23 window. If nothing else.
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Hmm. i can't say anything about 15 window barndoor buses and if they were all stock or made by coachbuilders...

But here something different - look what i found yesterday:
Karl Schreiner did not just have a workshop at "Fendigasse 27, 1050 Vienna" but also at "Embelgasse 28-30, 1050 Vienna".

I did a little bit of research about the second adress and found these pics from 1997 - showing the building were he had his shop. I don't know if the business still existed in 1997, but on the wall of the neighbour house (2nd pic) you can clearly see that the adress is the right one Wink

Now it would be interesting if this lettering still exists today or if it has been overpainted in the meantime.

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

I found another vintage ad showing a Karl Schreiner bus! Dancing
The picture has been taken in a slightly different angle! Shocked Surprised

AustroBus wrote:

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AirBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Source: http://www.kaeferblog.com/karl-schreiner-sohne-kohlruss-vw-sonderaufbauten-sonderbusse-karosserien

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, T1 1915cc
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Thank you for posting! Wink

I already knew this picture and posted it above. It has been taken at "Hotel im Weissen Rössl am Wolfgangsee", a very famous hotel in "Salzkammergut"-Region, not far away from Salzburg but still in Upper Austria.

"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
AirBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Ha , yes, strange, somehow not al the pictures loaded in my session, but no problem. d'oh!

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, T1 1915cc
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

you should go ask Valentin about this Szbg bus and he will be able to tell you the owner... Smile

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Coachbuilders #2: Karl Schreiner’s Buses Reply with quote

Schreiner built bus?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: