Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing brakes compared to Bug
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Thing brakes compared to Bug Reply with quote

I have not received my Thing Maintenance Manual yet and all I have so far are all my Transporter manuals and a couple Beetle related manuals. Is the Thing brake system the same as Beetle braking systems? I happen to have two bug manuals right now, a Chilton 1949 to 1971 Beetle/Ghia/Bus guide and a Autobooks Beetle manual that covers 1968 to 1974 Beetles 1200/1300/1500/1600/Ghia.

Just wanted to get a head start reading up on how to adjust and make sure the brakes are up to snuff on the Thing and wondered if these guides I have right now is basically what the $75 Thing manual I am ordering contains.

Thanks

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Thing brakes compared to Bug Reply with quote

Quote:
Rear brake drums, shoes and backing plates are Thing specific.

Master cylinder and wheel cylinders are not Thing specific. Front brake backing plate is Thing specific.

http://www.eppx.com/veewiki/index.php?pagename=ThingOnlyParts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brakes compared to Bug Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Quote:

Master cylinder and wheel cylinders are not Thing specific. Front brake backing plate is Thing specific.

Thanks, this helps in terms of the parts. I think my main concern is the "procedure" for which the braking system is repaired and adjusted and is it basically the same as the Beetle line. It appears just some parts are Thing specific but the procedure for doing brake work is the same so following my Beetle repair guides procedures for repair would be the same, correct.

Thanks

tj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thing brakes compared to Bug Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Quote:

That's a really cool website. I had no idea the 1973 and 1974 model years differed so much!

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased you like our website. A number of us put more than a few hours into the interfaces and data sets. It is actually one of the most complete Thing web sites on the net. Its main strength is how easy it is to link to all of the other great Thing web sources. For example it has a complete link to most of the BN-4 gas heater data that exists.

It contains pockets of info like my disk brake pages that give references that do not exist anywhere else. Again, I am pleased you find it useful. It was a great thing that Ian did when he put that page online.

K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: