Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 40HP Riechert kit
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

Below are some photos of the engine going into my late '62 build Karmann Ghia. It's the original engine with a stock bottom end and std 1200 P & C. I have a build thread for the car itself but thought this may be of interest to people outside the Ghia forum.

The kit is a Riechert dual Solex 28 PCI carbs, 010 distributor and vintage speed exhaust. 6V generator is being rewound to 12V, with an early NOS 12V regulator. Trying to keep the original perid look.

The air cleaners are the Riechert, I also have some offset Mann oil bath filters. Will just have to see which ones work best with the Ghia deck lid springs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

Cool motor Angus! I just got a Riechert kit for my 36hp oval motor... I'm in Australia too! Very Happy

My 1956 RHD Aussie Beetle ll (o\!/o) ll

Sydney, Australia
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

You have a 019, not a 010 in the picture.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You have a 019, not a 010 in the picture.

Yes you are right, it is an 019, looks like I made a mental typo😀

56VDUB,
Haven't seen another in Australia, sure there are some around though.

Haven't actually fired it up yet. Car assembly has been going on, so the body is back on the pan. Still waiting for the genny to come back from the conversion, been stuffed around on that one. As soon as it returns we can fire it up, harness has been put into car as well.
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

Angus Dowrie wrote:

56VDUB,
Haven't seen another in Australia, sure there are some around though.

Haven't actually fired it up yet. Car assembly has been going on, so the body is back on the pan. Still waiting for the genny to come back from the conversion, been stuffed around on that one. As soon as it returns we can fire it up, harness has been put into car as well.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.... I figure most people havent even heard about it here as it's a relatively hard kit to track down!

Needless to say the process of buying it was a little tedious too Very Happy

Hope you'll keep updating the progress, maybe even a video of it running!!

Sydney, Australia
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

56 VDUB wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.... I figure most people havent even heard about it here as it's a relatively hard kit to track down!

How does one go about getting one? Some months ago I sent an email but never heard back. Riechert is about 9 hours later than the west coast of the USA so calling him would have to be very early before I go to work. Also, I don't know more than few words in German. I think one of those kits would go nicely on my 57 Bug.

I have a question looking at the manifolds. Does the cylinder tin need to be trimmed around the intake port? The bottom of the manifold looks pretty big where it fits against the head.
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:

How does one go about getting one? Some months ago I sent an email but never heard back. Riechert is about 9 hours later than the west coast of the USA so calling him would have to be very early before I go to work. Also, I don't know more than few words in German. I think one of those kits would go nicely on my 57 Bug.

I have a question looking at the manifolds. Does the cylinder tin need to be trimmed around the intake port? The bottom of the manifold looks pretty big where it fits against the head.

They actually speak very good English and email was the only contact I had with Bernd, so can't comment about talking to them over the phone Laughing I sent and received around 10 emails to them, so we had a reasonable amount of correspondence...

I think part of my experience being tedious was that they had a summer holiday or something around the time that I ordered the kit, so didn't hear anything for a few weeks once I made the purchase.... They will send you an invoice in by snail mail instead of just an electronic invoice...which took ages to arrive, then I had to pay by international bank transfer as they don't seem to accept credit cards anymore either Rolling Eyes I guess they are an old business, so do things the old way, that me being an impatient gen-Y couldn't deal with haha!

Otherwise, they were very nice and the kit is extremely good quality with all German parts, something you don't really see anymore with the repro Okrasa kits and such that are floating around now...

As for the manifold clearance, there seems to be plenty of clearance with the tin from what I can tell, and the kit is straight bolt on, not one hole needs to be drilled or anything welded for the quirky linkage, so it's very reversible and can be fitted while the motor is in the car from what I've seen of other builds...

Sydney, Australia
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 40HP Riechert kit Reply with quote

56 VDUB wrote:
EVfun wrote:
56 VDUB wrote:

They actually speak very good English and email was the only contact I had with Bernd, so can't comment about talking to them over the phone Laughing I sent and received around 10 emails to them, so we had a reasonable amount of correspondence...

I think part of my experience being tedious was that they had a summer holiday or something around the time that I ordered the kit, so didn't hear anything for a few weeks once I made the purchase.... They will send you an invoice in by snail mail instead of just an electronic invoice...which took ages to arrive, then I had to pay by international bank transfer as they don't seem to accept credit cards anymore either Rolling Eyes I guess they are an old business, so do things the old way, that me being an impatient gen-Y couldn't deal with haha!

Otherwise, they were very nice and the kit is extremely good quality with all German parts, something you don't really see anymore with the repro Okrasa kits and such that are floating around now...

As for the manifold clearance, there seems to be plenty of clearance with the tin from what I can tell, and the kit is straight bolt on, not one hole needs to be drilled or anything welded for the quirky linkage, so it's very reversible and can be fitted while the motor is in the car from what I've seen of other builds...

I also had difficulty in contact by email. I spoke with Bernd several times by phone, and he is an absolute gentleman with excellent English. You just need to remember that he is probably now quite elderly and the combination of time differences, electronic transfers/PayPal etc are all just a bit much.
He was not interested in sending an invoice by email, had to be by snail mail. I never saw one, in the end I arranged through a German Sambanista (who I didn't know at all!) to purchase the items I needed and they were posted to him. I then paid him plus a bit extra for sending to me in Oz.

It took a bit but I am very happy with the product. I had purchased a partial kit, and just needed to purchase the remainder.

As for the fit, can confirm no trimming of tin or anything is required to install. You need extended manifold studs, as the inlet manifolds are a bit chunkier. The linkage assembly picks up two of the fan housing bolts and is located at either end by the manifold castings.

A bonus for me with a Karmann Ghia is that the kit fits including the air cleaners with the standard Ghia deck lid springs. The Ghia engine compartment is bigger than a beetles in all directions except height! I've only been able to confirm this in the last week as my car is being put back together.

When I finally get my generator back, I'll be able to complete the engine assembly and post some pictures of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: