Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone have this book?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have this book? Reply with quote

As far as I know, Kubelwagen Military Portfolio is the only book in print that deals with this kind of car. Does anyone here have it/recommend it?

Looks kind of interesting.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have that book. It’s a nice read but nothing technical or useful overall. It is mostly just accumulated articles from some various sources that people or magazines have written about the Type 82, 181, Itlis (SP?) and one on a Country Buggy.

Entertaining? Yes.

Useful? No.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suntour wrote:
Yeah I have that book. It’s a nice read but nothing technical or useful overall. It is mostly just accumulated articles from some various sources that people or magazines have written about the Type 82, 181, Itlis (SP?) and one on a Country Buggy.

Entertaining? Yes.

Useful? No.

Thanks for the review, suntour. I think I'll get it -- only $20 after all. Cool

Do you know of any other Thing-related books out there?

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know of any other books on the Thing, sorry.

Hell, I didn’t even know this one existed until a friend of mine at VWoA gave it to me out of the blue.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a partial list of the books out there concerning the history of our beloved Thang..

VW Kubelwagan in Detail

by Frantisek Koran and Jan Mostek

VW at War, Kubelwagen, Schwimmwagen Book 2 Development, Testing, Production
Bernd Wiersch, Translated by Edward Force

German Trucks and Cars in World War II: V.W.at War, Book 2 - Kubelwagen and Schwimmwagen v. 7

VW Kubelwagan in detail
Book Review by Ian Sadler
IPMS Amour TAS Leader Review.

The Kubelwagen was the equivalent of the American Jeep during WWII. It was first designed by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche and by his son Ferry as a "buggy" for fun. With the war looming on the horizon, the "fun car" became a military vehicle.

The base is from the KDF (the future Volkswagen). Only the rear wheels are driven but the car is very light and behaves well in rough conditions.

One batch of Kubelwagens was supposed to have been shipped to the Russian front and another to North Africa. Ferry Porsche tells us in his book that because of a great deal of confusion, the cars manufactured for the cold climate (Russia) were shipped to Africa and, of course, the African cars were shipped to Russia!

The Kubelwagen was manufactured in 1939-45 Some were used in France decorated with the blazon of Rommel - the palm trees - for the Afrika Korps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: