Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown Switch on Engine Case
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

I could not find this in the Bentley or the Wilson book. I tried search Samba but didn't have any lucky probably because I don't know what it is so it makes keyword search very difficult.

Can anyone tell me what this switch/sensor/or other electrical device this is on the right side of the engine case facing the flywheel for a 1974 VW Type 1 stock sedan standard? (alternator version, fuel pump) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Wide View
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Close Up

View from flywheel side
[/img]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

TDC sensor for VW diagnostic system used at the dealers.

I sure hope that's a before pic, all that RTV looks scary Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

Thank you! No one could figure it out.

The engine is still in pieces so haven't cleaned up the RTV. Still have to trim and clean it up. Is it detrimental to the build?
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

JCockrill wrote:
Thank you! No one could figure it out.

The engine is still in pieces so haven't cleaned up the RTV. Still have to trim and clean it up. Is it detrimental to the build?

If it looks like that on the outside just think what the inside looks like... oil pumps and passages don't like RTV sealant
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

The RTV was placed on the middle to outside edge of the case halves before putting it together. There are no cylinders or anything else attached so will take a light and look in to see how the interior is faring. Any RTV and I will pull it apart to reseal.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

After you tear it all apart to get rid of all of that RTV use ths stuff to seal the case halves....

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Curil-T-Engine-Sealant-75ml-Tube-p/curil-t.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JCockrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

Just ordered some. Will be here end of the week.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

I love that color of rtv.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

Rtv room temperature vulcanizing. Looks like shit I'd use aviation permatex or pretty girl AKA gasgacinch. The hardcore here like curil or even hylamar or yamabond anything but rtv . Rtv doesn't completely squeeze out and it's been known to get into the oil supply and foul things up.
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

I think you are lucky you didn't know what that switch was and showed a photo of it. Otherwise you would have put that in service with all that RTV. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

I'd run it as is what's the worst that could happen ?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I'd run it as is what's the worst that could happen ?

I'm sure it would be fine, like just pounding a bad rod bearing back into place and putting the engine back together.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown Switch on Engine Case Reply with quote

I can see humor is wasted on you, chill out please.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: