Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia trailer hitch conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickgiles101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

My wife and I just bought an 82' Westfalia with a 1.9L diesel engine. It came with a hitch but not a receiver. We would like to use our Curt basket cargo carrier for extra storage. Is there a conversion kit, an easy modification or new hitch set-up that will work? GoWesty has a receiver hitch set up but it will not work on a diesel. Thought and wisdom please!

Thank you!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

We need to see what kind of hitch you have. I converted a regular ball hitch over to a 1.25" receiver hitch. If it attaches to the tow hooks, then I don't recommend that approach

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
nickgiles101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

This is the hitch we have now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/atv-hitch-adapter-65961.html

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

I definitely don't recommend that type of tow hook style of hitch to be used with vertical loads

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

If you want to carry heavier loads on the back, I can personally recommend the Burley heavy duty receiver hitch.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_14&products_id=55

Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

We have a Burley and use it to carry a cargo tray. It's solid, well built and easy to install.

Geoff
Waiheke Island
New Zealand
88 Westy.
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

I also recommend a Burley hitch
walkingupstream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversionlly Reply with quote

Hi. I've been seeking advice on a hitch for my van as well.

10 minutes ago I just bought the bullet on a Burley Motorsports hitch.

I really just want to be able to use my 3 bike rack, but the center mount on the GoWesty won't work with my Subie conversion (and your diesel too, I think) and folks tell me there's a bit of sway and instability without that center mount.

I could have saved an extra $250 and tried the GoWesty or done something like you're trying to do, but in the end I figure the extra $250 is worth the security of a stout hitch with the benefit of being able to tow whatever I might want to tow in the future. This, and the fact that the Burley hitch sits a bit higher and will avert the potential clearance issue on my sloped driveway entry.

Hope this helps.

Cass
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia trailer hitch conversion Reply with quote

Depending on how much weight you plan to carry you may want to consider air shocks. They were just the ticket for me carrying a 300 lb dirtbike.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407359

Welcome to the Insanity!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: