Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
I've had my Shady Boy on my westy weekender I think for about 15 years now. It's still as good as new and for what I wanted, it's repaid me in kind. I also like the lightweight, compact design, and personally don't need a side house when camping. I've used it extensively all over the west.

However, when I bought one the cost was about half what it is now. If I were in the market for an awning today I'd have to more carefully consider the options. I've never like the looks of the bigger jobs taking up the whole gutter on one side but that's just me and cosmetics. Functionally and financially I might lean toward the ARB today to compliment my ARB fridge/freezer Wink

But if I had deeper pockets .....

I'm not sure how it would work for you guys, but Wolfgang is based out of BC, so with the weak dollar you can probably buy a Shady Boy directly from him for a steal these days..

I have one and love it. I've used it in torrential downpour and high winds without issue, just have to use the vertical supports.

It's easy to set up and pack down by yourself, takes maybe 4 minutes or less.

And those country home drill-less mounts, while cool seem insanely expensive! That's half the cost of the rest of the awning! I think all in I was about $450 CAD, so you're looking at $330 USD?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
I'm not sure how it would work for you guys, but Wolfgang is based out of BC, so with the weak dollar you can probably buy a Shady Boy directly from him for a steal these days..

I have one and love it. I've used it in torrential downpour and high winds without issue, just have to use the vertical supports.

It's easy to set up and pack down by yourself, takes maybe 4 minutes or less.

And those country home drill-less mounts, while cool seem insanely expensive! That's half the cost of the rest of the awning! I think all in I was about $450 CAD, so you're looking at $330 USD?

Now, now.

You are giving me an excuse for a road trip to the great food in Vancouver.
Great point about low $CND. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Meet the shady herr Wolfgang and pick up the awning. Then visit the much famed Canadian Tire's Vanagon specialty section.

When I bought mine Wolfgang offered all choices of colour (Canuck spelling) as long as it is blue. I would prefer something more reflective like a white.

Who wants to join the Wagenzug?

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Wolfgang lives just up the hill from me in Crescent Heights.

He offered me a neighbour discount when I was looking for an awning (which was really nice of him) but I didn't like the amount of solar energy that's transmitted straight through the Shady Boy fabric.

My TransAwn 2000 makes a much deeper, darker shade and that's important when field camping at a bluegrass festival.

It also has holes in the feet to take tent stakes when camping in windy locations - very nice to have!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
I have a BusDepot Ezy Awning which I've set up only once just to try it...We felt that it is so cumbersome to set up that we never bothered and haven't had significant rain to warrant the effort.

That's because you only tried once. Anyone who uses it often will tell you that the learning curve is steep. The first few times take a while because you're still learning the process, but once you've done it a few times it gets a whole lot faster and easier. Ten minutes from bag to vehicle once you're used to it (a bit longer if you want to put up side walls/screens as well and enclose it).

Point taken....

I'll mount up my ARB ....... which is being delivered Thursday.

I'll deploy it just once and then see how likely I am to do it a second time......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
I have a BusDepot Ezy Awning which I've set up only once just to try it...We felt that it is so cumbersome to set up that we never bothered and haven't had significant rain to warrant the effort.

That's because you only tried once. Anyone who uses it often will tell you that the learning curve is steep. The first few times take a while because you're still learning the process, but once you've done it a few times it gets a whole lot faster and easier. Ten minutes from bag to vehicle once you're used to it (a bit longer if you want to put up side walls/screens as well and enclose it).

Point taken....

I'll mount up my ARB ....... which is being delivered Thursday.

I'll deploy it just once and then see how likely I am to do it a second time......

Dave

Just an update..... Did it once, never did it before and I did it alone..... Less than 3 minutes stress free........ 😎
I would do it again in a heart beat......

EZ Awning has it's uses, it is a quality product and my planned alternate usage may have me buying three more...... But they won't be mounted to my Van.

Now back to our Shady Boy conversation.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

I think the conversation for long set-up times was in regard to the BusDepot easy-awning?

ShadyBoy is incredibly easy to set up, as I said above, in under 4 minutes by myself.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

michaelasnider wrote:
I think the conversation for long set-up times was in regard to the BusDepot easy-awning?

ShadyBoy is incredibly easy to set up, as I said above, in under 4 minutes by myself.

I can attest too I can set it up in a few minutes. The guy-lines can be tensioned on two strategically located loops made of cable ties on the undercarriage of the van. The two vertical poles are only necessary if the wind try to compress the awning, or you experience downpours.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

My only problem with the SB awning is that the fiberglass poles break. A 40 mph gust of wind in some remote location of Death Valley and the thing is bent backwards over the roof, no matter what straps you put on it. I ended up making metal poles that I pound into the ground with a sledge hammer, each one with a welded bracket you can pile boulders over as additional hold down. The problem is, as someone said, these are sails.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
My only problem with the SB awning is that the fiberglass poles break. A 40 mph gust of wind in some remote location of Death Valley and the thing is bent backwards over the roof, no matter what straps you put on it. I ended up making metal poles that I pound into the ground with a sledge hammer, each one with a welded bracket you can pile boulders over as additional hold down. The problem is, as someone said, these are sails.

Safety in wind is one of the biggest reason I opted for SB. It is the safest awning out there because there is no mass at the far end. When the wind picks up to a few mph, no one should have an awning deployed. 10x6 feet equates to 60 sq ft or 5.6 sq meter of sail. In windsurfing 40 mph of wind an average man can only hand on to about a 3.7 sq meter sail (4'x10'), and that is not keeping the sail fixed in place. It is with the sail craft moving at a good clip. If the said sail brakes free from someone's hands. It can knock out a 200 lb man cold or even kill him. The force exerted in a static sail is a cubic function of the wind speed. Shocked

All these years, Wolfgang has not increased the size of the awning. I believe he knows the stress it can put onto the aluminum case, fiberglass battens and the roof of the vehicle in a typical installation.

Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

What's amazing is that those fiberglass poles can bend like they do at all. Once you've had it flip the whole way over a few times, though, they start to break at the ends and it's downhill from there.

I do like the SB awning because it's so compact and well-engineered. Just not for super high winds, but then what awning is?
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shady Boy out of fashion? (light-weight awning, that is) Reply with quote

Yes ... to re-emphasize awnings of any type should not be up in high winds anywhere. If you decide to go hiking or something away from the rig it helps to adjust the awning accordingly before departure.

One thing I recall from the 'old daze' and older designed awnings is the clamp on styles in winds like that experienced in the Mojave like the Santa Ana's often ripped them right off. More than several times I recall reading about someone just tossing their now-damaged awning off to the side of the road, perhaps being emotionally overwhelmed by the windy driving experience and not giving a rip about their awning at the time.

When I bought my SB that was a consideration -- I also had tremors of concern about drilling holes but for the SB they were small ones under the pop-top that could be easily repaired/reversed if necessary and I really felt better having that SB 'on there' for those western 'hurricane' experiences that always seem to find me. My standing joke to friends was the winds may rip off my wheels, glass and pop-top but the last thing still on the rig will be that SB, dammit. Wink

I'm not up on the latest Fiamma/ARB type awnings and attachment mechanisms so perhaps that's all been improved upon over the last 20 years, and if you live in a low wind area and never intend to visit places with much of that then it's all moot in the consideration process, but going down the Columbia Gorge near my 'hood and more than multiple dozens of places out here you better make sure whatever awning you select is really held down.

For example my SB came with a single snap that holds the casing close but I also have two thick outdoor velcro straps on either end as extra insurance. It's not coming off nor opening up even if it was on the outside of the Space Shuttle while blasting off into space. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: